PDA

View Full Version : Access to full disk capacity

cybernerd
17-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I have been given a couple of 250 GB hds that came out of a DVR. I thought I could put them into my pc, reformat them and then use the full 250 GB. No such luck I can only see 133 GB.

I have a HP sff desk top with only one HD bay so I can't fit it as a slave and have a play.

Can any one help me get into the entire drive?

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Install SP1+ if you're using XP or SP1 or 2 if its Vista. If theyre already installed, go to disk management, and format the unallocated space. Otherwise, you'll have to slipstream the service packs with Nlite / Vlite then do a clean install. Are the hdds Seagate or WD hdd's?

cybernerd
17-08-2009, 07:42 PM
They are Seagate.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2009, 07:50 PM
k. So are there any unallocated entries in disk management? And what SP is installed

cybernerd
17-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi I made a mistake; they are maxtor and Speedy's suggestion worked. I now have a formated partition E:\.

Next question can I combine C:\ and E:\ without losing all the data on C:?

I have just done a fresh install and downloading all the updates is a pain.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Unless you use Vista, you may have to use something like partitionmagic. Or gparted may work, I dont know, never used it

Blam
17-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi I made a mistake; they are maxtor and Speedy's suggestion worked. I now have a formated partition E:\.

Yes.

Download the latest Gparted (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/) iso, and burn it as an image to a CD/DVD

Boot from it, then grab the right edge of the C partition and pull it to the right till it has taken up all of E's space.

Blam

Sweep
17-08-2009, 11:50 PM

Great.

When the question is asked you made a mistake.

When you made the partition(s) how many logical drives are within each.
How many drives do you have and how many primary partitions and also how many extended partitions.

One physical hard drive could contain up to four primary partitions for example. Primary partitions can be made bootable and a extended partition may hold a number of logical drives.

To help you further. Let us say I have one physical drive of say 250 gigs.
I then want to install an operating system like WinXP so of course I have a legal copy of the O/S plus the motherboard drivers.

I could choose to create a partition on the unallocated space of say 50 gigs in which to install the O/S and applications. After the O/s is installed I could create a number of logical drives in the other extended partition or space.

The logical drives would occupy the other space on one hard drive which was left over for the extended partition. Bear in mind that an extended partition is not bootable.

Let us not go into dynamic disks at this time!

The fact that you seem to have a C:\ and E:\ on possibly one physical hard drive indicates to me that you have two primary partitions and the D: will be another drive like a CD or DVD.

The C: and E: can be combined.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 11:58 PM
And here is another thought.

When you installed the O\S did you use a recovery disk on the HP you have on the new hard drive?

cybernerd
18-08-2009, 06:24 PM
The mistake referred to the make of the drive.

The O/S is legit but not a recovery disk. I did a clean install on the 250GB drive but Xp only showed the capacity as 133GB. Speedy suggested that I look in disk management and set a partition on the rest of the disk and format it. I named it E:\ and it has around 108GB space. I wondered if there was a simple way of combining both partitions into one.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Blam told you, gparted

cybernerd
27-08-2009, 06:54 PM
EASUS Partition Master did the trick, simple. Installed it then just pulled C:\ all the way to the end of the drive. All done in 5 minutes.