PDA

View Full Version : Are headlines accurate?

Sweep
17-08-2009, 04:41 PM
The headline says a search is on for a rock throwing spectator.

But if you read the story it would appear that the spectator was hit by a rock.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103946&fm=psp,tst

Go work it out.

somebody
17-08-2009, 04:46 PM
There are two separate spectators.

Spectator A: The person who was hit by the rock
Spectator B: The person who threw the rock

Because Spectator A was injured, the "Search [is] on for rock throwing spectator", i.e. Spectator B.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 06:37 PM
There are two separate spectators.

Spectator A: The person who was hit by the rock
Spectator B: The person who threw the rock

Because Spectator A was injured, the "Search [is] on for rock throwing spectator", i.e. Spectator B.

Well I may have it wrong anyway. My bad!
But so far I have no idea where the rock came from or who threw it.

R2x1
17-08-2009, 06:43 PM
It wasn't me.

somebody
17-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Well I may have it wrong anyway. My bad!
But so far I have no idea where the rock came from or who threw it.

I've come to the conclusion based on this line "... says the rock was thrown into a crowd of Mt Albert supporters and hit a 19-year-old former student in the face."

You could argue that I've jumped to the conclusion that it was thrown by a spectator, based on the headline, rather than the actual contents of the article.

prefect
17-08-2009, 07:31 PM
A rock out of hell maybe?

R2x1
17-08-2009, 07:32 PM
The headline says a search is on for a rock throwing spectator.

But if you read the story it would appear that the spectator was hit by a rock.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103946&fm=psp,tst

Go work it out.
Okay, the first bit seems to imply that a spectator-throwing rock has struck and the spectator went ballistic. Let us hope the spectator was not thrown too far.

It is unclear whether it was same rock that hit a spectator. Did the spectator do anything to offend the rock's cultural sensitivities? Rocks do not normally go round smiting people.

Perhaps a rock concert was in progress and the rocks acted together? At these concerts, getting stoned is quite common apparently.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 07:37 PM
I've come to the conclusion based on this line "... says the rock was thrown into a crowd of Mt Albert supporters and hit a 19-year-old former student in the face."

You could argue that I've jumped to the conclusion that it was thrown by a spectator, based on the headline, rather than the actual contents of the article.

Just give me the facts!

But the facts are not known yet. I am rather annoyed that the media publish stories and then we can all get exercise by jumping to a conclusion.

I am very pleased I am not a suspect as I have an alibi.

R2x1
17-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I am very pleased I am not a suspect as I have an alibi.

Wandering around consuming alibis when you do not need them is not very civic minded of you. Many people are desperate for a good alibi, and they cannot even get a bad one when they need it most. Shame on you.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Wandering around consuming alibis when you do not need them is not very civic minded of you. Many people are desperate for a good alibi, and they cannot even get a bad one when they need it most. Shame on you.

I am also very pleased that I am not on the same side of the Bombay Hills as you are or should that be Mumbai Hills now?

Thinking about going and getting a new NZ Map with all the correct place names.

Fairly lucky I guess that where I live is a place name that seems not to change. But I can't find the origin.

Poppa John
17-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I am also very pleased that I am not on the same side of the Bombay Hills as you are or should that be Mumbai Hills now?

Thinking about going and getting a new NZ Map with all the correct place names.

Fairly lucky I guess that where I live is a place name that seems not to change. But I can't find the origin.

It was originaly named Rokoroa, & was where Maori Trbes competed to see who could throw rocks furthest. Or was it spectators? PJ

R2x1
17-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Darn. I thought it was where Roa stopped to have a Tok.

Greg
17-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Okay, the first bit seems to imply that a spectator-throwing rock has struck and the spectator went ballistic. Let us hope the spectator was not thrown too far.

It is unclear whether it was same rock that hit a spectator. Did the spectator do anything to offend the rock's cultural sensitivities? Rocks do not normally go round smiting people.

Perhaps a rock concert was in progress and the rocks acted together? At these concerts, getting stoned is quite common apparently.

:D :banana heh heh