PDA

View Full Version : Cadburys Epic Fail

nofam
17-08-2009, 12:02 PM
"We're really sorry" (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2758975/Cadbury-stops-using-palm-oil-in-chocolate)

Are they bollocks!

:o

johcar
17-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Palm oil also tastes horrible in chocolate and is one of the few saturated fats that is obtained from a vegetable source (rather than animal) - so it has a negative effect on people's health too, especially cardiac health.

wratterus
17-08-2009, 12:13 PM
What? Of course they are genuinely sorry that they put palm oil in their chocolate. They are so sorry, because the result was their sales and reputation would have (and did?) drop like a lead balloon. :groan: They don't give a hoot about what people think as long as the chocolate keeps selling...

At least things will be back to normal... :drool

johcar
17-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Whittakers and Nestle make better chocolate anyway...

Try this, using different brands:

Break off a single square of chocolate (I know, it's hard to stop at just one!)
Pop it in your mouth on your tongue.
Press it against the roof of your mouth and gently rub the chocolate between your palate and tongue
Eventually, the chocolate will melt
Keep rubbing until there is just a fine layer of chocolate between your tongue and palate.
If it feels gritty, it's probably Cadbury chocolate (low quality)
If smooth, it more than likely Nestle or another quality brand.

This is especially true of Milk Chocolate, which I find sickly sweet and avoid whenever I can.

(DISCLAIMER: I was a confectionery manufacturer for a period in a former life, and we used Nestle chocolate for our couverture, because it was measurably better in quality.)

prefect
17-08-2009, 12:40 PM
They are sorry they got caught using an el cheapo oil which is dangerous to health and causes deforestation in SE Asia.

pctek
17-08-2009, 12:51 PM
So that still leaves Cadbury with 21% cocoa, 200g block size and Made in Aussie.
Whittakers with 33% cocoa, 250g block size and Made in NZ.

Barnabas
17-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I have switched to Whittakers in the meantime and I have to say, Im converted.

Metla
17-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I wont be going back to Cadbury. Though I have been more of a Whittakers man even before this.

Cadbury are still lying, Even when the truth would serve them better they have to apply spin

beeswax34
17-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Whittakers anyday! Almond Gold, mmmmmmmmmmm

Marnie
17-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Whittakers, without a doubt. Richfields is also good and also made in New Zealand. They also make a no added sugar variety, for which I am eternally grateful if I need a chocolate fix.
Maybe not many here do much baking, but the Cadbury cocoa is no longer as good as it used to be. Very little taste and is a much paler version than what it used to be. I've swapped brands with that, also.

johcar
17-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Marnie - just a note of caution: check the fat content of the "no sugar added" varieties. Generally, these varieties are pumped up with fat to make up for the lack of sugar...

Agree with your comment about Cadbury cocoa - will keep an eye open for an alternate brand next time I'm restocking...

brig
17-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I have nothing but gratitude for the management of Cadburys' latest venture in messing with the recipe of their milk chocolate that I've been more or less addicted to for most of my 75 years.

Over the years its been a slow process of substituting original ingredients for presumably cheaper ones, but gradually so that it was never easy to be sure that there had been a change. Now with the addition of palm oil they made it obvious and this was the last straw for me.

I quit - cold turkey, and I swear never to eat more chocolate than the covering on an occasional Toffee Pop.

I'm now into my third month of being 'clean' and am through the worst:banana

As well as the loss of some unwanted waist fat and the saving of $5-10 a week, my sleeping has improved from day 1. I now get off to sleep much more easily and have unbroken sleep for most of the night.......what do they put into their chocolate? I doubt if the small amount of caffeine in the cocoa butter would have been enough to affect my sleep.

Anyone else got any similar stories of battles with a chocolate habit?

brig (somewhat slimmer :D )

Zippity
17-08-2009, 03:03 PM
God give me some of that old Cadbury chocolate again :)

Their current batch of Dairy Milk tastes like crap - and Whittakers stuff is no better :( :(

Marnie
17-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Marnie - just a note of caution: check the fat content of the "no sugar added" varieties. Generally, these varieties are pumped up with fat to make up for the lack of sugar...

Agree with your comment about Cadbury cocoa - will keep an eye open for an alternate brand next time I'm restocking...

Thanks johcar, you are so right. Being diabetic I read the labels closely. As well as being aware of sugar I watch for fat and carbohydrate content. Anything such as chocolate is a rare treat.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 03:44 PM
So that still leaves Cadbury with 21% cocoa, 200g block size and Made in Aussie.
Whittakers with 33% cocoa, 250g block size and Made in NZ.

I lived in Wanganui and went to school with a guy the same age as I was at that time.

His second or surname was Whittaker. As far as I remember it he did not bring free samples even though he was of the family of chocolate fame.

Watch this movie:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolat_(2000_film)

Possibly we should go back to the the Mayan recipe?

Greg
17-08-2009, 04:40 PM
So now the Malaysian and Borneo farmers who grow or harvest palm oil will starve due to lack of income, while the orangutans thrive?

Some would value human lives more than monkeys.

somebody
17-08-2009, 04:49 PM
So now the Malaysian and Borneo farmers who grow or harvest palm oil will starve due to lack of income, while the orangutans thrive?

Some would value human lives more than monkeys.

Cadbury is a very minor buyer of palm oil. Considering it's in such high demand, I'm sure the farmers will find someone else to sell the oil to.

Look at all of the baked goods (biscuits, cakes etc.) carefully and you'll notice that the vast majority of them contain palm oil. Soaps contain palm oil. A lot of fish and chip shops use palm oil, since it means they can advertise it as "vegetable oil" rather than the animal fat they used to use.

pctek
17-08-2009, 04:51 PM
As well as being aware of sugar I watch for fat and carbohydrate content.

Fat has no effect on blood sugar levels

pcuser42
17-08-2009, 04:52 PM
We took action against Cadbury's changes, and did this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8AR0cF4xdg). :D

somebody
17-08-2009, 04:56 PM
We took action against Cadbury's changes, and did this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8AR0cF4xdg). :D

Here is some more if you feel like stocking up: http://www.1-day.co.nz/products/BVRCIN9P1

pcuser42
17-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Here is some more if you feel like stocking up: http://www.1-day.co.nz/products/BVRCIN9P1

I see there isn't much left :D

Marnie
17-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Maybe not directly, but fat does have an effect on whether I keep my weight down to a healthy level, thus helping control of diabetes.

johcar
17-08-2009, 05:27 PM

But can contribute to other health issues....

robbyp
17-08-2009, 05:38 PM
One of these big chocolate companies, that only sells to other chocolate companies, has recently invented a chocolcate that doesn't melt from heat, which will make chocolate a lot more attractive for many. It will still melt when it is in your mouth, due to the moisture, but t won't melt, say if you keep it in your car.

Still Caburys is still no making it in NZ, and the sizes will still be smaller. Buy NZ made and support real NZ owned businesses I say.

Just shows how arrogant they are, when they thought they could pull a swift one on the public. People power does work.

Trev
17-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Dosen't worry me. Don't eat chocolate, but good on Cadbury anyway.
:)

Metla
17-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Good on Cadbury for what?

failing to please the sheep with an inferior product?

Screw Cadbury.

Trev
17-08-2009, 09:48 PM
For this.
Cadbury has bowed to consumer pressure and stopped using palm oil in its dairy milk chocolate.

The confectionary giant caused a furore when it was revealed it had substituted cocoa butter with vegetable fat including palm oil.

Palm oil is a contentious ingredient with reports blaming its plantations for huge contributions to global warming and intensive habitat destruction leading to the deaths of orang-utans in Indonesia and Malaysia.

Cadbury New Zealand managing director Matthew Oldham said he was "really sorry" and that the decision was in direct response to consumer feedback, including hundreds of letters and emails.

"At the time, we genuinely believed we were making the right decision, for the right reasons. But we got it wrong,” he said.

"Now we’re putting things right as soon as we possibly can, and hope Kiwis will forgive us.

The change will be made within the next few weeks, he said.

Members of the nearly 3500-strong Facebook group 'Take palm oil out of Cadbury chocolate bars' were jubilant at this morning's news.

"Power to the people", said one member.

"Well done NZ! Excellent... but a shame for Cadbury as I have learnt that other chocolate is good too!” another commented.

Auckland Zoo director Jonathan Wilcken also congratulated Cadbury on their decision.

He said they had met Cadbury and made their position clear. They would now be restocking Cadbury products in the zoo.

Mr Wilcken said it was an issue they had been trying to raise the profile of for some time and they would continue to do so, calling it the “single biggest threat to the survival of orang-utans in the wild”.

Palm oil is derived from the fruit and kernels of the oil palm and is used in cosmetics, cleaning products and many processed foods.

Much of the oil comes from land where existing rainforest has been slashed and burned to make way for Palm oil plantations.

Three quarters of all palm oil comes from Malaysia and Indonesia where rainforests - housing the Bornean and Sumatran orangutans and other flora and fauna - are being destroyed.
:)

Metla
17-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats called spin.

They lost market share due to bad publicity because people didn't like the crap quality, so they reverse their position, cover it in fluff and some people just suck it all in. There marketing division does this crap for idiots that believe it, They just wish we were all that stupid.

If this hadn't affected the profits there is no way in hell they would have changed the recipe for a half dozen greenies complaining about the origins of palm oil.

Digby
17-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes we have got to stop buying overseas made products which just do us out of jobs, tax revenue, and work for other trades eg electricians, plumbers, as well as using up our overseas funds, which causes us a high deficit and we pay more to pay it back and pay higher interest to overseas banks.
Cadburys were the best, but I don't buy it now, I'd go for Whittakers if they made smaller bars as I can eat a whole big one if it i sin the house on my own.

Digby
17-08-2009, 11:13 PM
And are they going to keep putting in Palm Oil for their Australian sales ?
I can't see them running two production lines ?

The silly thing is they did a survey about 6 months ago and found that Cadbury's was one of NZ's most trusted brands ! So they stuffed that up.

I think it was all driven from Cadburys HO in the UK. I read about a year ago that they were closing factories in many parts of the world to save costs.

Cicero
18-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes we have got to stop buying overseas made products which just do us out of jobs, tax revenue, and work for other trades eg electricians, plumbers, as well as using up our overseas funds, which causes us a high deficit and we pay more to pay it back and pay higher interest to overseas banks.

Good thinking Dig,let all countries take that view and all would have lots of overses funds and employed plumbers.

robbyp
18-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Good thinking Dig,let all countries take that view and all would have lots of overses funds and employed plumbers.

The USA are very protectionist. Look at their milk prices which are so low compared to NZs, and the tarifs they put on imported stuff. That is also why NZ businesses very often fail in expanding into the USA.

GoodHour
18-08-2009, 12:56 AM
This is the ingredients listed on the Whittakers website for the Almond Gold Block:
Cocoa: 33%
Milk powder: 30%
Almonds: 25%
= 88%.

Their Almond Gold Slab still has this ingredients except for having 1% more almonds.

And this is the ingredients listed on the back of an Almond Gold Block:
Cocoa: 25%
Milk powder: 22%
Almonds: 25%
= 72%.
I don't know what makes up the other quarter but I assume most of it is soya.

Curiously, the "Nutritional Info" is identical on both the website and on the back of the Block despite showing different ingredients.

The old Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate was 27% cocoa and 27% milk powder, their new palm oiled one has only 21% cocoa.

It is hard to tell for certain because of Whittakers' many different types of chocolate and different batch dates, but looking on the backs of the Blocks' packets shows a number are now only 23%, 24%, 25% cocoa.

Every ingredients list on their website for Blocks shows a minimum of 33% cocoa except for their white chocolate.

Either the ingredients lists on their website were wrong to begin with, or they've decreased the quantities of ingredients at some point and forgotten to update their website.

If it is the latter, how does this reconcile with "Whittakers premium quality chocolate is crafted to a traditional recipe..." written on the back? Or with their television advertisements? Did this happen recently?

I really hope there is an innocent explaination for this.

R2x1
18-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Perhaps it is crafted to a traditional marketing recipe, in which case the missing percentage will probably be beans.

I don't care much, I like their chocolate.

Cicero
18-08-2009, 10:15 AM
The USA are very protectionist. Look at their milk prices which are so low compared to NZs, and the tarifs they put on imported stuff. That is also why NZ businesses very often fail in expanding into the USA.

The outcome of only consuming that which you produce needs a bit of thought.

Have a word with Adam Smith.

R2x1
18-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The outcome of only consuming that which you produce needs a bit of thought.

Have a word with Adam Smith.
Especially if you are an undertaker. :waughh:

Cicero
18-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Especially if you are an undertaker. :waughh:

Cannibalism hadn't occurred to me, but you may have a point!