PDA

View Full Version : Connect to internet

Kase1025
17-08-2009, 06:31 AM
I am in need of some help, quick!! I work at a school and I am supposed to get this computer hooked up to the internet. A majority of our computers are Macs, however the one I am working on is a desktop PC. All of the computers hook up to the internet using an ethernet cord to the wall. In this particular office there is a phone that requires an ethernet connection and there is only one ethernet hookup in the room. So I got a switch, plugged the switch into the wall, and then plugged the ethernet phone into the switch.

When I went to hook up the desktop to the switch, it would not connect to the internet. I thought, maybe this wouldnt work, so I hooked my mac laptop to the switch and I could connect to the internet. So something with the desktop settings are not letting it connect but I am unsure of what I need to do.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

nedkelly
17-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Hi Kase1025 welcome to pressf1.
On your mac open system preferences and then select network. Now depending what version of mac you are running this next part might be different, if you are running Leopard (10.5) click on ethernet and then advanced. If it is an older operating system smae first two steps open system preferences then network and then click on the drop down menu next to the label show and select built-in ethernet. Then you will see the TCP/IP settings and also the proxy settings which i guess being a school you might use. Post back if you need more help

Kase1025
17-08-2009, 07:11 AM
the mac connects fine. the desktop is the computer that wont connect. i tried my mac to make sure it was possible to go through the switch. My mac connects but the PC doesnt.

nedkelly
17-08-2009, 07:16 AM
yeah I just thought it might help if you check the settings on the mac to copy them over to the pc, cause having only left school last year i know that most schools use some kind of proxy set up

Kase1025
17-08-2009, 08:09 AM
thanks. ill check that.

any other ideas? i would like to have a few options when i get there tomorrow

nedkelly
17-08-2009, 08:27 AM
probably not that i can think of. Also check to see if you can access any other computers over the network. Because if you can then it points to the fact that there might be a proxy server running which all internet traffic in your school goes through.

nedkelly
17-08-2009, 08:27 AM
What version of windows are you running?

Kase1025
17-08-2009, 08:30 AM
im not entirely sure...(sorry the pc is at the school and i wont be around it until morning). i am guessing windows xp or 2000

nedkelly
17-08-2009, 08:40 AM
ok when you plug the pc into the switch try to check if your pc gets an ip address given to it by a dhcp server.

Kase1025
17-08-2009, 08:44 AM
when I ran ipconfig it gave me a 169 ip. which means not connecting to internet right? it is supposed to get a 192 correct?

but i dont know what to do about that

nedkelly
17-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Yeah a 169.254.XXX.XXX address is an APIPA address that the pc generates it self when it can not get an ip address from a dhcp server and does not have a static address set up. Did you check the settings on the mac to see what they were?

ronyville
17-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Try this when you get a chance. click 'Start' > Run> type in cmd and press enter, when the command screen pops up, type in ipconfig /release than press enter and than type in ipconfig /renew and press enter. See if it picks up a different set of ip address after that.

Also make sure that it doesn't have a static ip address, change the option in the networking settings to DHCP.

wainuitech
17-08-2009, 06:01 PM
With a Adress of 169. blah balh - that means you are getting nothing from the router.

Assuming its NOT Vista ( you did mention XP or 2000) download and run Dial A Fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml) - your TCP/IP stack on the windows PC may be damaged.

Do you have any firewall installed apart from the default one ( If XP)

Just a thought - IF you have Norton on the PC - uninstall it - that alone can cause all sorts of problems when it turns turtle - NOT IF but When.

Kase1025
18-08-2009, 01:37 AM
so far this morning i have run ipconfig /all and this is what i got

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name.............: Gail
Primary Dns Suffix..:
Node Type..............: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled..: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection- specific DNS Suffix...:
Description..................................: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
Physical Address.........................: 00-0E-2E-4E-9A
Dhcp Enabled..............................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled............: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address........: 169.254.206.18
Subnet Mask................................:255.255.0.0
Default Gateway...........................:

thats it

nedkelly
18-08-2009, 06:57 AM
did you look at your macs' settings to see if there was anything that would be stopping the pc from getting an ip?