PDA

View Full Version : Not Genuine XP

kjaada
16-08-2009, 04:57 PM
My daughter has a PC with a genuine copy of XP on it (she has had it for 5 years and still has the disk and key) and it has suddenly got popups saying it is possible illegal software.I have found several workrounds for pirates to get rid of the popups but what is the proper legal solution.

Blam
16-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Scan for Spyware. Very often Spyware is the cause of this.

If thats fine, then ring up MS, tell them the old key and they should throw you a new one free.

wainuitech
16-08-2009, 05:23 PM
As Blam Said call MS if its still doing this after a malware check.

Are you sure its the XP saying its Not Legit ?
MS have two WGA's these days, ones for the OS the other is for Office.

As long as you have the legit Key then there wont be a problem - on the COA are two other sets of numbers, one is X??-???? and another code ???-????? ( with ? being different numbers/letters)

These are cross referance codes, so even if the original COA 25 Digit comes back as invalid, they can cross check the other codes.

Having JUST the COA written down on paper is NOT always a good Idea. Many people dont know about the cross referance codes ;)

As long as Its legit, MS will talk you through entering a new 42 Numbered activation code.

kjaada
16-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Not sure on the details yet as she is a fair bit away and I will go over in a day or two.
What I do know is that the popup will not let her in to restore to an earlier point in
"safe mode".She is on dial up so will the malware still be active if she does not connect.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Use teamviewer or something to check it remotely

gary67
16-08-2009, 06:46 PM
+1 for team viewer been using it at home to play between computers so don't have to keep running down stairs to check a setting

stormdragon
16-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Yea teamviewer is great, but via dial up? :sleep

wainuitech
16-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Not sure on the details yet as she is a fair bit away and I will go over in a day or two.
What I do know is that the popup will not let her in to restore to an earlier point in
"safe mode".She is on dial up so will the malware still be active if she does not connect.
If its Malware running system restore generally is hopeless - as the Malware "goes for the Ride" when restore is run and continues to infect the restore as well.

Real lov-er-ly stuff that malware :D

pctek
16-08-2009, 10:20 PM
.She is on dial up so will the malware still be active if she does not connect.

Of course.
Most want access to the net eventually to report back or fetch their friends or whatever, but if she has some malware that is just the trash files variety, whether it's connected or not makes no difference.

Best to install all the usual antimalwares and then boot in safe mode and run them if its a problem in normal mode.

Being on dialup means there is less opportunity for this stuff to arrive but it sure doesn't make you immune.

Chilling_Silence
17-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Another question: Has she sent the laptop off for any servicing? There's the possibility that a tech has used a different key, to go with his / her different media, rather than re-installing XP with the correct key. Unfortunately I've seen that done before when people approach me going "Make it go away ..."!

kjaada
17-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone:
9 problems found and fixed,all now honky dory and I will make sure all protection is in place.
kjaada