PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus for WHS

jwil1
16-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I am considering setting up a machine running Windows Home Server at some point in the near future. I have got it running successfully in a VM as a test, but I can't find a free antivirus to install on it.

Is there a free one? or do i need to pay for something like Avast WHS edition?

Blam
16-08-2009, 12:36 PM
There are quite a few AVs that install perfectly fine on WHS...but I wouldn't recommend them as due to the way WHS saves and distributes file storage(drive extender) you would have much less problems and conflicts with an AV adapted just for WHS.

That said, I've used ClamAV+WinPooch before and it works fine.:p

[Clam AV only does normal scanning, and no Realtime scanner which is why I needed winpooch..]

Blam

wainuitech
16-08-2009, 04:06 PM
The biggest problem with a Normal AV on WHS is the fact they are not designed for it.

WHS is a SERVER, using server software - you really need a Server antivirus - then it works fine. I did try the normal Nod AV at first, but WHS didn't exactly like it.

Heres the catch -- MOST server Antivirus programs are not free.

Once I used Nod32 Server edition on mine it's never given any problems - and is set to scan weekly @ 3.00am.

Chilling_Silence
17-08-2009, 08:12 AM
+1 for either NOD32 or Avast. I use Avast Free for everything home-related and love it to bits (New major version coming out soon also), however NOD32 is quite possibly the best paid AV around :)

nofam
17-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Just to hijack the thread for a moment:

Had a USB hard drive that was infected with Conficker (hidden autorun.inf files on each of the 3 partitions, as well as files hidden in the Recycler directory on each) - NOD32 kept finding the infections on bootup, and saying I needed to reboot to remove them which I did. Infections kept reappearing on reboot.

Rinse & repeat. . . . . (And yeah, system restore was off)

Uninstalled NOD32 and installed avast, and it picked them up, ran a full scan on reboot before XP actually loaded fully, and removed the files no problem.

avast 1
NOD32 0

Or did I miss something obvious? :confused:

wainuitech
17-08-2009, 10:48 AM
If it was only doing a scan on start up, then it prob wouldn't remove them,( seen that many times) you have to actually scan the drive - and have the setting right in the options, other wise the scanner wont work as its meant to.

Seems your PC is also well out of date with security patches, the Conflicker was patched by MS late 2008 which exploited the MS08-067 Windows vulnerability. Also which Conflicker - theres A,B,C,D & E

beeswax34
17-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Nofam, it might have been better just to re-format the flash drive

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2009, 02:14 PM
This may have removed it (http://oldmcdonald.wordpress.com/) as well

Blam
17-08-2009, 09:18 PM
If its a file or two that an AV can't delete I use FileAssasin with delete on reboot function.