PDA

View Full Version : Xnet down last night?

Nomad
16-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Their homepage says, email down for planned migration.

Then it says network had a unplanned outage.

Wasn't that long ago when they had email down for 12+ hrs :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Yup it went down around 11.00 - 11.15. No reason why. All it said when I rang up is their email servers are down from 11-6 till the 19th. Didnt say this inc Xnet itself. Some internet services it says on the site (this wasnt there after it came back up again). It was dead as a dodo.

Nomad
16-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Those on the torrent plan - haha .... I'm just on the river plan myself.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm on the river plan too. I wouldnt bother getting on the torrent plan

Sweep
16-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Here we go again.

Change your plan whether it be ISP or power and then regret it later maybe.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Nah I wont be changing to another ISP, since most want you to have home plans / change your phone line to their ISP, pay a churn fee pay $10 extra if you dont use your phone with their service. That was the reason I went with Xnet. They didnt bother with all this crap.

Someone from vodafone come around the other night saying theirs was the cheapest BB around (yer right) $79-80 is their cheapest plan and 1 GB, with home phone line plan. I could use 1 GB in less than 2 weeks. And I dont pay for the phone. So, I cant change the phone to whoever anyway.

I went to the vodafone site to see what needs to be filled in (If you want to join). It doesnt give you an option of BB only, it doesnt give you an option of saying I want to keep my phone where it is (just I want to move it to vodafone, or set it up with vodafone). Only thing with Xnet is, unless you go on fusion you wont get ADSL2 speeds. I can live with that

Sweep
16-08-2009, 01:59 PM
My point is that if your internet goes down then you do not know at your end whether it is the ISP, your computer, software, malware the router or modem and etc.

What I suspect is that if the power bill has not been paid or the phone bill has not been paid then there is a fair chance that you won't have the internet anyway.

Please also note Speedy that I have not said the bills are not being paid at your end and nor do I suspect that.

I am with Xtra and they just sent me a brochure saying ADSL2 will be available in my area soon. Sign up for two years and a free modem. I should live so long.

Do you think I want to change my plan?

No.

beeswax34
17-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Yup it was down and their network status page said nothing about it.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Actually I would know if the prob was the ISP, me, malware, the router or modem. If the internet went down. 99% of the time the ISP is the prob. Since I dont get malware

Ninjabear
17-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree. 99% of the time when the internet goes down its the ISp not the pc.
I will never join xtra even if they give me a modem for free. Their modems are pretty bad to be honest. I like to buy and choose my own modem for broadband. I don't really enjoy telecom's service either as well as their data cap.
I think it's best for me to stay with xnet.

Nomad
17-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I think the service has gone down for Xnet. Kinda forced to stay cos I am still on the stream not river as indicated (256k). Also that they are the only ones that don't make you join your toll calls with them and that you pay for the exact data you used.

rob_on_guitar
18-08-2009, 03:33 AM
I think the service has gone down for Xnet. Kinda forced to stay cos I am still on the stream not river as indicated (256k). Also that they are the only ones that don't make you join your toll calls with them and that you pay for the exact data you used.
You pay for your unused data? Sorry just trying to work out the last sentence.
I didnt even notice an outage and I was on at the time stated.
But then I dont use their email. No worries at this end, Im still looking at the voip thing, still havent gotten around to it, seems like a good idea.

beeswax34
18-08-2009, 04:09 AM
No, what he means is that he only pays for the data that he does use rather than paying a flat rate as with most other ISP's

bk T
18-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I will never join xtra even if they give me a modem for free. Their modems are pretty bad to be honest. I like to buy and choose my own modem for broadband. I don't really enjoy telecom's service either as well as their data cap.
I think it's best for me to stay with xnet.

I switched over from Xnet to Telecom recently and found everything (almost) to be excellent! The free Thomson Modem is excellent - much better than DLink. Download speed is way much better and stable than Xnet. Help desk is good - rang them 2 times and the waiting time to talk to a human were from 1 -2 minutes. They (helpdesk) sent me a very detail instruction as to how to change the default IP address of the Modem, although I would say that this Thomson modem is not very user friendly. But the final line is: It is working fine - good speed and stable. :thumbs::thumbs:

R2x1
18-08-2009, 11:11 AM
All very well, but it is going to be Telecom at all times. Fine if you are into hair shirts I suppose.

They have used up all my patience and scorned my requests for the last time ever. Even a Vodem beats the Xtraordinaires for user experience. All I can wish is that Xtra use their own products for life.