PDA

View Full Version : Owner roasts family pet ...

ronyville
16-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Stuff (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2756912/Owner-roasts-family-pet-in-barbecue) ....

WTF..

He said the dog had originally belonged to a family member, but he took over ownership as it was "too skinny".

Has your family member ever thought about feeding the poor dog???

"He killed it by striking it to the head which is a lawful way" :groan:

Can I try this on you and see how you feel!

qazwsxokmijn
16-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Disgusting.....I thought eating dogs were illegal no matter how you kill it?

somebody
16-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Although I have never eaten dog before, I don't see what the problem is. People keep pet lambs, and eventually kill them for meat. Same with pet chickens, pigs, etc. Why is a dog any different?

mikebartnz
16-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Disgusting.....I thought eating dogs were illegal no matter how you kill it?
Think again!

Blam
16-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Although I have never eaten dog before, I don't see what the problem is. People keep pet lambs, and eventually kill them for meat. Same with pet chickens, pigs, etc. Why is a dog any different?

I agree.

Metla
16-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I think the "powers that be" need to get the hell out of peoples backyards and let them cook and eat whatever animal they desire.

No difference between a dog and a sheep, Both are made of meat.

Sweep
16-08-2009, 12:44 PM
According to the story it was a pitbull cross.

Is it a case of eating the dog before it eats a person?

kenj
16-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I think the "powers that be" need to get the hell out of peoples backyards and let them cook and eat whatever animal they desire.

No difference between a dog and a sheep, Both are made of meat.

What about "Roast leg of Insurance Salesman"? :D

PS - My avatar would hate it if I ate her!!
Ken

mikebartnz
16-08-2009, 02:37 PM
What about "Roast leg of Insurance Salesman"? :D

PS - My avatar would hate it if I ate her!!
Ken
She wouldn't know unless you tried to eat her alive.
Once it was revealed that they had done nothing illegal what right did they have in removing the charred dog.

mikebartnz
16-08-2009, 02:45 PM
According to the story it was a pitbull cross.

Is it a case of eating the dog before it eats a person?
:thumbs:
It did sound like it had tried to have a chew on peoples leg.

bob_doe_nz
16-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Captain James Cook (http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-ColNote-t1-body.html) ate it. (End of page 4 / Start of page 5)

I don't see the problem with eating dog.

Strommer
16-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Before I read the article I assumed it was a Chinese person who ate the dog since this is not uncommon in China. I never knew Tongans ate dog. If a person is not a vegetarian then it can be seen as simply another form of meat. However most Kiwi's get emotionally attached to their pets, especially dogs, so in this respect it becomes an emotional issue and therefore repugnant.

This sums up the non-emotional aspect:

...SPCA Auckland chief executive Garth Halliday revealed it isn't illegal to kill and then eat a dog in New Zealand if the animal is slaughtered in a swift and painless manner. ...Paea Taufa, found roasting the pitbull terrier-cross in an umu at his Mangere home, said dog was a Tongan culinary delicacy.

pctek
16-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I thought eating dogs were illegal no matter how you kill it?

I'm pretty sure you can eat any creature you like so long as it isn't human or on an endangered species list.

Can't say dog appeals to me but why the squeamishness over anything that isn't a sheep, cow or pig?

somebody
16-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you can eat any creature you like so long as it isn't human or on an endangered species list.

Can't say dog appeals to me but why the squeamishness over anything that isn't a sheep, cow or pig?

It seems the person at the SPCA is a vegetarian. He says:

Halliday slammed the practice. "Although we appreciate the difference of cultures that exist in a place like New Zealand, the SPCA finds this sort of treatment of any animal to be totally unacceptable," he said.

"Even though the law says you can humanely kill an animal, you should not be treating any animal like this."

If that is the case, then he would be against eating any meat - the dog wasn't neglected or abused, it was killed in a humane way, so what's the problem? Since when was it the SPCA's job to advocate vegetarianism?

prefect
16-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Dog and cats are just animals, we humans eat animals.
You cant say a dogs life is more sacrosanct than say a cow.
It easy for me as I hate dogs in towns and cities anyway. I get blardy annoyed with them barking. Have rung council about 10 million times complaining about barking dogs since I have been in this house.

qazwsxokmijn
16-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I hate the idea of eating dogs as much as I hate the idea of eating a human friend.

To me eating dogs and cows sheep etc are different because the former is artificially selected for companionship and work while the latter are farm animals and had been bred specifically to be eaten.

Metla
16-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Humans would be delicious.

My thumb looks like a chicken drumstick............

johcar
16-08-2009, 06:43 PM
From my limited experience dealing with the SPCA some years ago, they are over-the-top in their feelings for animals (like many Poms, who would put a pet's life ahead of another human life) - 'soppy' for animals might describe it.

Personally I would not eat dog - or any other carnivorous mammal - purely from a taste POV. I prefer my meat to have been fed grass or grain....

mikebartnz
16-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Dog and cats are just animals, we humans eat animals.
We humans are just animals too.

mikebartnz
16-08-2009, 08:41 PM
From my limited experience dealing with the SPCA some years ago, they are over-the-top in their feelings for animals (like many Poms, who would put a pet's life ahead of another human life) - 'soppy' for animals might describe it.
A few years ago in California, USA a woman while out running got killed by a mountain lion. They had a collection for the woman's family and a collection for the mountain lion cubs. It was $21000 to $9000 to the cubs.

qazwsxokmijn
16-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I too find the SPCA often to be too emotional, but I have no qualms about them and am supportive of what they do.

Personally regarding the last bit - I would place an animal life over the life of say, Kurariki, or that idiot who killed himself while vandalising a property (he had a history of violence and other stuff too) or any low-life gang members, really.

And I think some of you might change your mind once you've actually seen what people in Asia do to farmed dogs, and cats prior to serving them on tables. For a start they are almost always crammed in little cages together, suffering injuries from bites, broken paws etc that are left untreated until their slow and brutal deaths.

In some cases these dogs were actually stolen from people's homes. Just imagine your dog being stolen, crammed in a tiny cage with 10 more dogs, then brutally killed, apparently to 'enhance' the flavour of the meat.

pctek
16-08-2009, 10:04 PM
the SPCA are over-the-top in their feelings for animals (like many Poms, who would put a pet's life ahead of another human life)

Explain why any human is better than another type of animal?

I can think of loads of people who in my opinion would be better off as food for zoo animals.

I wouldn't eat dog for 2 reasons:
I imagine the taste would be somewhat like goat (another animal that eats anything it can reach)

Dogs are breed to be overjoyed at the appearance of a human, therefore it's mean

mikebartnz
16-08-2009, 10:06 PM
then brutally killed, apparently to 'enhance' the flavour of the meat.
It wouldn't enhance the flavour of the meat as adrenalin does nothing but make it tough.

somebody
16-08-2009, 10:13 PM

The only real reason is that you look after your own species first. Your family comes first, then your community, and the hierarchy goes from there.

I can think of loads of people who in my opinion would be better off as food for zoo animals

Unfortunately I can think of some humans who should be spayed/neutered - rapists, child molesters etc. would be good candidates for that form of "rehabilitation".

Sweep
16-08-2009, 10:50 PM
OK. A person comes into my place and I feed him/her and the person can sleep overnight because I may try to help.

The same person may leave taking whatever they can carry.

If I took a dog or cat in the same event would not happen would it.

Metla
16-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a large fence and gate, Designed to keep people and animals out, In the event any person or animal ignores this then I will remove them by whatever means works, The removal process will vary drastically if anyone, Human or animal, happens to be carrying any of my possessions.

qazwsxokmijn
16-08-2009, 11:05 PM
It wouldn't enhance the flavour of the meat as adrenalin does nothing but make it tough.
Don't say it to me, say it to those bloody idiots who ties dogs up and beat them with sticks for half an hour until they die.

It's fixed in their idiotic minds that the blood pumping and what not prior to death will make them tender when you could get the same result by beating the meat once the animal is dead.

rob_on_guitar
17-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I dont see what the big deal is. Its no secret people eat dog, been going on for thousands of years.

johcar
17-08-2009, 12:38 AM

I can think of loads of people who in my opinion would be better off as food for zoo animals.

I wouldn't eat dog for 2 reasons:
I imagine the taste would be somewhat like goat (another animal that eats anything it can reach)

Dogs are breed to be overjoyed at the appearance of a human, therefore it's mean

I was referring to this (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=810872&postcount=20) kind of attitude...

I agree, some humans are less-deserving than others of sympathy or even kind thoughts (like qazwsxokmijn mentioned: Kurariki, and also the dipsh*t friend of a frequenter of this forum who killed the girl in Taupo)...

mikebartnz
17-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Don't say it to me, say it to those bloody idiots who ties dogs up and beat them with sticks for half an hour until they die..
I find it hard to believe anyone would do that as to beat an animal while alive would only bruise it and bruised meat is pretty revolting.

mikebartnz
17-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm sure that woman that got mauled by those six dogs would have a hard time believing that.

prefect
17-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I was surprised to find Europeans still like eating horse.
And we export horse meat to them (slow race horses I suppose)
I can just imagine the trainer talking to the horse saying if you blow this race you are gunna be horse burger in Hungary or what ever.

mikebartnz
17-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I was surprised to find Europeans still like eating horse.
And we export horse meat to them (slow race horses I suppose)
I can just imagine the trainer talking to the horse saying if you blow this race you are gunna be horse burger in Hungary or what ever.
Nothing wrong with a horse steak. It has a slightly coarser grain than beef but tastes similar because they eat the same as beef mostly.

rob_on_guitar
17-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Useless bit of info: In east timor, where meat is real scarce, the locals made us a feed, they said it was pig, it didnt taste like pork but it was bloody nice. Turned out Pig was the name of the dog.

somebody
17-08-2009, 05:49 PM
The SPCA's actions in the last few days has completely changed my view of them as an organisation. To me, they were always the hard working volunteers who advocated for the wellbeing of animals - i.e. make sure they're properly fed, have access to water, are not being abused, and so on. I always had a lot of respect for what they stood for, and their work in prosecuting animal owners who neglected or tortured their pets.

Now, it seems they (those at the top - not the hard working staff and volunteers) are wanting to be the culture police.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2760551/SPCA-calls-for-review-of-animal-welfare-act

R2x1
17-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Nothing wrong with a horse steak. It has a slightly coarser grain than beef but tastes similar because they eat the same as beef mostly.
Applying this viewpoint does fail to explain the remarkable difference between the flavour, texture etc. of pumpkins and kiwifruit; even the lawn tastes different to kapok, but they all use the same soil and water. Perhaps my plants are faulty.

I will try feeding a kitten exclsively on dog biscuits again, and see if there is much difference to the control kitty flavour. ;)

mikebartnz
17-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Applying this viewpoint does fail to explain the remarkable difference between the flavour, texture etc. of pumpkins and kiwifruit; even the lawn tastes different to kapok, but they all use the same soil and water. Perhaps my plants are faulty.

I will try feeding a kitten exclsively on dog biscuits again, and see if there is much difference to the control kitty flavour. ;)
I can tell biology wasn't your top subject.

R2x1
17-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Nope. Hats were my top subject ;)

prefect
17-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Useless bit of info: In east timor, where meat is real scarce, the locals made us a feed, they said it was pig, it didnt taste like pork but it was bloody nice. Turned out Pig was the name of the dog.

Hey Rob what does roast hound taste like?
You aren't allowed to say chicken lol.

bk T
17-08-2009, 10:46 PM

+ 1

No difference. An animal is an animal - cow, lamb, pig, dog, cat, they are all animals.

Ofthesea
17-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I have to ask - how many of you would be cannibals if you had to? After all it's just a question of degrees isn't it? Sick if you ask me, eating your pet.

prefect
17-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Sick not really, did my Dad stop my pet lambs and hand reared pet pigs going to slaughter, did he ****
I would eat human if they already dead and I wasnt and needed to survive.
Probably draw the line at banging them on the head with a rock first to speed process up.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I have to ask - how many of you would be cannibals if you had to? After all it's just a question of degrees isn't it? Sick if you ask me, eating your pet.

I agree that chucking a pet into the umu is somewhat disgusting.

But you make a good point in my opinion.

If we take the example where you are in an aircraft and it crashes into the side of a mountain and you are the only survivor would you eat the non survivors in order to survive yourself?

You could possibly get away without food for a few days but water is a different story. Or people can just lie down and die anyway. This in the event they can't bring themselves to eat human flesh.

Another point I would make is that an UMU is rather different to a BBQ.
The two cooking methods are different.

prefect
17-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Maybe its just me but I dont see any difference from cooking the dog in an umu or a bbq its just a heat source.
Maybe I am a bit thick but I cant fathom out the difference.

Ofthesea
17-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Football teams stuck on mountains excepted there have been a number of cultures where cannibalism was practiced but for some reason has died out .... So if it's just a piece of meat at what point do you stop? A dog isn't a human end of story but many dogs have the intelligence of a two year old child. Also what about sticking a tasty dolphin on the spit or BBQ a whale (might need a 40 burner)

somebody
17-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Football teams stuck on mountains excepted there have been a number of cultures where cannibalism was practiced but for some reason has died out .... So if it's just a piece of meat at what point do you stop? A dog isn't a human end of story but many dogs have the intelligence of a two year old child. Also what about sticking a tasty dolphin on the spit or BBQ a whale (might need a 40 burner)

For most people, the line is drawn at your own species. It's the same reason why it's murder for killing a person, but not illegal to kill a pet lamb, for example. We put down animals (pets included) who misbehave, but we don't put down our kids if they misbehave.

Sweep
18-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Maybe its just me but I dont see any difference from cooking the dog in an umu or a bbq its just a heat source.
Maybe I am a bit thick but I cant fathom out the difference.

The tongan cooked the dog on a BBQ. When did the tongans start having BBQs as a cultural thing?

"SPCA inspectors have removed the partially-charred body of a pet dog being cooked in a backyard barbecue.
But they cannot prosecute anyone over its death because it had been killed "humanely"."

So was it a BBQ or an UMU?

Maori cooking may be similar in so far as an umu is cooking in a pit like hangi.

A BBQ is more like western cooking I think.

Both would be heat sources and I agree with you on that.

Personally I would not eat a pet however cooked.

I would prefer to eat your road kill like cyclists or those who use cell phones while driving.

Sweep
18-08-2009, 12:48 AM
For most people, the line is drawn at your own species. It's the same reason why it's murder for killing a person, but not illegal to kill a pet lamb, for example. We put down animals (pets included) who misbehave, but we don't put down our kids if they misbehave.

They shoot horses do they not?

Some people want to be put down for similar reasons and in some countries it may be legal.

And there may be a debate on this.

I have shot a dog once but I did not cook it after doing so.

Some kids need putting down but I would prefer to do the Parents first.

Sweep
18-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Rickety.

Not that I like the voices much but I remember this song if you can call it that:-

I had to make to do with Gin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470ybIz4WC0

But I never served my brother up as an Irish stew.

rob_on_guitar
18-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Either some of you are vegetarians or dying of starvation because you think too much before you eat or born with a silver spoon or have never starved before.

Just because you dont doesnt mean someone else wont.

And prefect, the meat was in slices, cooked in spices with fried cabbage... much like an asian dish, it was frikin awesome! Theres only so long you can eat from ration packs!