PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem - ASUS PCs not getting through XP install

george12
15-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I just ordered 4 ex-lease computers for a customer and I'm having no end of trouble installing XP Home SP2 on them.

The machines are ASUS Terminators, using the Asus P4P8T motherboard.

P4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB IDE hard drive

Fresh installing onto a formatted drive using a Windows CD that I use all the time, but burned a new one just in case.

They get through the text mode setup stage fine but BOTH units I have tried so far exhibit this problem: After the text-mode "copying files" stage of XP Setup, on rebooting, they hang at the XP logo screen. Selecting safe mode does not help.

The HDD light is stuck on when it hangs. The progress bar is in the same position each time and it's completely consistent.

I'm at a loss to explain this and am meant to be shipping the machines out on Monday! Any help would be much appreciated.

Sweep
15-08-2009, 08:54 PM
So I guess you may be at a loss to explain this when the four computers are not shipped as promised to the customer on Monday.

Do you have all the CDs and did you ask the vendor for all product numbers?

george12
15-08-2009, 08:58 PM
So I guess you may be at a loss to explain this when the four computers are not shipped as promised to the customer on Monday.

It's hardly a difficult thing to explain Sweep. I prefer to keep customers updated about what's going on rather than lie to them if that's what you mean.......

However it would be nicer if I could sort it out before Monday!

george12
15-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Do you have all the CDs and did you ask the vendor for all product numbers?

No CDs with these. Not sure what you're talking about with the product numbers. You mean the XP product key? That's on the COA sticker on the case as it should be for any PC shipped with XP on it.

However this is completely irrelevant is it doesn't make it to the product key entering stage of setup.

Sweep
15-08-2009, 09:15 PM
So what about the other two units out of the four?

Have you tried these? Please bear in mind that we can't see what you see and I would have to have a guess.

I do not like to guess.

In the event you bought four units and then want to onsell them it would be over to you to deliver four working units on Monday with all legal software and the hardware works as well.

40 Gb hard drives makes me think the units may be older than reasonably recent.

Blam
15-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Which driver/file does it freeze on in safe mode?

george12
15-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Which driver/file does it freeze on in safe mode?

It displays the horizontal block-based bar and hangs there, before displaying any file names. It seems to access the HDD normally for about 4 seconds before this happens.

Sweep, I will try the other two machines now.

Sweep
15-08-2009, 09:30 PM
It displays the horizontal block-based bar and hangs there, before displaying any file names. It seems to access the HDD normally for about 4 seconds before this happens.

Sweep, I will try the other two machines now.

Do you have a linux CD to insert in any of the machines you have or another bootable CD?

I am trying to help.

Will any of these actually start off another bootable CD like linux and if so will the O/S booted show the hard drive you are trying to install Win XP Home OEM on.

I do note that you are trying to install Win XP Home OEM.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Do you have any cd's without the SP's?? The cd youre burning, did you slipstream SP2? If you did was SP1 slipstreamed first?

george12
15-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Do you have a linux CD to insert in any of the machines you have or another bootable CD?

I am trying to help.

Will any of these actually start off another bootable CD like linux and if so will the O/S booted show the hard drive you are trying to install Win XP Home OEM on.

I do note that you are trying to install Win XP Home OEM.

I have Windows PE and Bart PE and will try those - good idea, thanks. I appreciate your help, I just misread your tone before - sorry.

I also just tried the 3rd machine and XP seems to be installing fine on it. The 4th seems to have a dodgy CD drive so I'll replace that and try #4 too.

Speedy, I have no CDs without SPs though I do have at least one CD with only SP1. However in light of one machine actually working, would you agree that there's no point trying another CD (as I have reburnt my CD and it's the image I use without problems all the time)?

The CD in question is an "all-in-one" type with XP Pro Corp + OEM + Retail and Home OEM + Retail, which I didn't make myself. I'm trying to find an original MS SP2 CD but have misplaced my last one it seems.

Needless to say I am installing the OEM version.

Sweep
15-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I have Windows PE and Bart PE and will try those - good idea, thanks. I appreciate your help, I just misread your tone before - sorry.

I also just tried the 3rd machine and XP seems to be installing fine on it. The 4th seems to have a dodgy CD drive so I'll replace that and try #4 too.

Speedy, I have no CDs without SPs though I do have at least one CD with only SP1. However in light of one machine actually working, would you agree that there's no point trying another CD (as I have reburnt my CD and it's the image I use without problems all the time)?

The CD in question is an "all-in-one" type with XP Pro Corp + OEM + Retail and Home OEM + Retail, which I didn't make myself. I'm trying to find an original MS SP2 CD but have misplaced my last one it seems.

Needless to say I am installing the OEM version.
If one of the four is actually working on the CD you are trying to install off I would agree that the CD disk may work.

However this may mean that the other three machines may have a hardware fault.

I might add that at this time it may be difficult to track it down.

I was under the impression you may have got these units from an auction or something similar. I may still be correct.

george12
15-08-2009, 10:44 PM
If one of the four is actually working on the CD you are trying to install off I would agree that the CD disk may work.

However this may mean that the other three machines may have a hardware fault.

I might add that at this time it may be difficult to track it down.

I was under the impression you may have got these units from an auction or something similar. I may still be correct.

It seems that way.

No, these are from a wholesale supplier of ex-lease equipment. I can return them and get replacements but was hoping to sort them out myself to avoid the hassle and freight cost.

I'll at least try replacing the hard drive but this is unlikely to be the problem. Tested RAM also with no result.

qazwsxokmijn
15-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Could it be the DVD-reader?

george12
15-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Could it be the DVD-reader?

I'd say not as it's the same result on two computers. In the unlikely event both drives had gone bad they wouldn't probably cause identical corruption to each other, every time.

Edit: Ugh this is not my day. Can't even find audio drivers for the little bastard (the one that DOES work)... The Asus one doesn't seem to work.

qazwsxokmijn
15-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Touche....

george12
15-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Oh dear .... I'm starting to suspect that the "working" one has a bung sound card. The system resets when installing the Realtek AC97 drivers. The Asus ones don't even attempt to install however.

I'm leaning towards ordering four more computers made by IBM/HP/Dell.

Agent_24
16-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Did you get the right drivers?

According to this: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/barebone-asus-t2p/barebone-asus-terminator2-eng.html

It's actually a Terminator 2

And you have downloaded from: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=T2-P ?

Have you tried a new BIOS? I see this:

Description T2-P BIOS 1008
Fix Service Pack 2 comflict with WinXP issue

and

Description T2-P BIOS 1011
Fix codec AD1888 recognition problem

I see the sound is an AD1888 - you will need the Asus ones for that board specifically as there is no generic driver like Realtek (note it comes in a 2-part download)

somebody
16-08-2009, 11:34 AM
What happens if you install Windows on the working machine, then transplant the HDD across to another machine?

Sweep
16-08-2009, 12:21 PM
What happens if you install Windows on the working machine, then transplant the HDD across to another machine?

Very good question in my opinion. But it will be Monday tomorrow.

george12
16-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Did you get the right drivers?

According to this: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/barebone-asus-t2p/barebone-asus-terminator2-eng.html

It's actually a Terminator 2

And you have downloaded from: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=T2-P ?

Have you tried a new BIOS? I see this:

Description T2-P BIOS 1008
Fix Service Pack 2 comflict with WinXP issue

and

Description T2-P BIOS 1011
Fix codec AD1888 recognition problem

I see the sound is an AD1888 - you will need the Asus ones for that board specifically as there is no generic driver like Realtek (note it comes in a 2-part download)

Thanks very much Agent. I will certainly try the BIOS update as a SP2 conflict could explain everything.

Also, I had found the Terminator 2 (did know it was T2, but didn't know that they have a barebone section), but in the Desktop PCs section of the site with a different set of drivers.

I'll give your suggestion a try too somebody, if the BIOS update doesn't work. In actual fact once I get one set up I'll be using imaging anyway to do the other 3.

george12
16-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Update: Driver problem sorted - perfect install on one machine - now trying deploying that image onto the other one, followed by the BIOS update if that doesn't work.

It appears that the working unit and a non-working one both have BIOS version 09 but I will flash it to the latest stable one anyway if the deployed image doesn't boot.

george12
16-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Argh, sorry to triple post guys but I keep missing the edit timeframe.

Just wanted to note that it will not be a problem if the computers are delivered on Tuesday rather than tomorrow - in fact I can just drive them out to Upper Hutt if it comes to it. I had already suggested Tuesday as a likely delivery day. Sooner is of course better however.

george12
16-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Interesting developments.

The faulty PC after imaging with the good image didn't boot (same problem) so I swapped the hard drive from the good one.

Same problem again. After starting it up in the good PC, I was able to get a fault code from Event Viewer from the failed startup.

It's 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, blah blah) which is this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182), which definitely can relate to hardware / BIOS incompatibilies etc.

I will now proceed to update the BIOS and see what happens.

george12
16-08-2009, 07:56 PM
After updating the BIOS one further PC is running nicely. It appears that this problem may be solved (fingers crossed).

Thanks heaps everyone for your help. I will update this thread when all are either finally sorted or if there are more issues.

pctek
16-08-2009, 09:16 PM
It's 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, blah blah) which definitely can relate to hardware / BIOS incompatibilies etc.

IT can be loads of things:

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Sweep
16-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Just got back home.

Hopefully the issues are sorted.

george12
17-08-2009, 02:48 AM
All 4 machines are running nicely guys - thanks again for the help.

Sweep
17-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Good to hear.

I was hoping you had not bought a pile of you know what!

george12
17-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Good to hear.

I was hoping you had not bought a pile of you know what!

I was thinking I had until now. Was gonna send them back and demand different-model replacements so I'm glad that wasn't necessary.

Agent_24
17-08-2009, 12:06 PM
All 4 machines are running nicely guys - thanks again for the help.

No worries, good to see they're all working :thumbs:

SolMiester
17-08-2009, 01:42 PM
George, what XP media are you using....The COA stickers probably have the Retail Key, Not OEM!

george12
17-08-2009, 08:19 PM
George, what XP media are you using....The COA stickers probably have the Retail Key, Not OEM!

OEM...

Are you sure about that? I have never encountered a COA sticker out of hundreds and hundreds I have used that had had a retail key. Perhaps one of us is mixing up some terminology.

If you go and buy from your supplier the OEM version of XP, you'll get the OEM CD and a COA sticker, correct? By COA stickers I mean the sticker on the side of the case / bottom of laptops which I'm sure is the correct term...

If the key included with retail XP is also a "COA" sticker that could explain this confusion. I'm not sure about that as I have actually never bought a retail version.