PDA

View Full Version : iPhone with Voda (data)

Nomad
15-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey, just out of interest, not that I am thinking of buying.

Why is it that iPhones can only access the net via a calling plan contract? Why cannot you just dump in a prepay simcard and pay that $2.50?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2009, 07:08 PM
You probably could, if you jailbreak it

Nomad
15-08-2009, 07:13 PM
What is this jailbreak? I haven't caught up with the news. Is it Vodafone restricts iPhone purposely.

From a 1 and 0's point of view. Dump a simcard in it, what's the big deal Vodafone? What's the diff from iPhone to Nokia ...

Chilling_Silence
15-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Don't bother jailbreaking.

You can use the $1 for 10MB a day data on Prepay, or $10 for 100MB a month. I've just switched from my plan to Prepay and get the $10 for 100MB add-on.
All you need to do is change the APN to www.vodafone.net.nz :)

Nomad
15-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Why does it says this for the iPhone?
To access the web you require a Broadband Plan for Mobile (Only available with an On Account plan).

What is APN by the way :D

Chilling_Silence
15-08-2009, 08:31 PM
They don't tell you coz they want you to sign up for an iPhone-specific plan. I've got a stock-standard iPhone, no jailbreaking, and it works with Vodafone's Prepay 'net just fine :)

APN stands for Access Point Name, its like setting the "gateway".

Sweep
15-08-2009, 08:44 PM
They don't tell you coz they want you to sign up for an iPhone-specific plan. I've got a stock-standard iPhone, no jailbreaking, and it works with Vodafone's Prepay 'net just fine :)

APN stands for Access Point Name, its like setting the "gateway".

And then if you jailbreak the phone you may wish to reverse the process.
I don't have an iPhone. i am so lucky!!

Phil B
16-08-2009, 10:35 AM
What is this jailbreak? I haven't caught up with the news. Is it Vodafone restricts iPhone purposely.

From a 1 and 0's point of view. Dump a simcard in it, what's the big deal Vodafone? What's the diff from iPhone to Nokia ...

I jailbroke mine (OS3) purely so I could have a decent MMS tone/tune that lasted longer than 1 second + jack up the volume so you can hear it when it's buried in your pocket. Everything works as it should