PDA

View Full Version : Windows Protection Suite Infestation

DaveBritton
15-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted here.

I got a call from my uncle yesterday saying that he has had some annoying pop-ups recently. I came over and noticed that all these pop-ups are a load of junk about removing virus' and spyware etc...

It is coming from something calling itself "Windows Protection Suite" and is known to be rogue anti-spyware. I have tried various methods of removing it, like virus scanning with mcafee/nod32, tried a recommended download from 2-viruses.com called "Spyware Doctor" that told me I needed to buy it before it would remove anything.

I am currently running a full adaware scan, so hopefully that will turn something up. I figured I'd post here and ask while it's all going on in case anyone knows of a certain way to get rid of it. He's running vista home premium x86.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Try malwarebytes below, update it then scan. If that doesnt work try trojan remover below in safe mode / networking (or safe mode), if you download it in normal windows. Post a HJT log from it, if you can / want. Or get him to get teamviewer. I could check it out from here remotely

DaveBritton
15-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Yeah, HJT was going to be my next step, but thanks for the tip on malwarebytes, I will try that first. If worst comes to worst I will install teamviewer (I am round his house).

Thanks, Dave.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Cool no probs, if you want to use teamviewer install it run it send me the ID and password in a PM. Altho I may or may not do it today (its 1.02 am) ! depending on if or when you want me to check it out

DaveBritton
15-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Well I think we'll leave it for now then (it's 2pm here) go get some sleep :P. Hopefully one of the programs your recommended will work, if not I will PM you. Thanks again.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2009, 01:12 AM
No probs, just give me a yell when youre ready / if those programs dont work

DaveBritton
15-08-2009, 04:31 AM
The malware program worked! Thanks very much for your help speedy.:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Sweet! Good to hear it fixed it