PDA

View Full Version : New gaming computer

lakewoodlady
14-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi all,
My son has bought a new computer for gaming and he wants to transfer all his info and stuff over to it from the old one. He has virtually everything backed up from the old one to an external hard drive.
Is it just a matter of getting all the files and folders and programs from the old one to the new one via the ext hdd?

Cheers LL :D

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2009, 07:32 PM
If the programs have already been installed (on the old one), he'll have to reinstall them. Otherwise they wont work (info wont be in the registry, whatever wont know whats what, and where it is).

Only things you can copy, are install files / documents / email addies you've saved, bookmarks from whatever browser, MP3's (Anything that hasnt been installed on it)

Blam
14-08-2009, 07:57 PM
He can try imaging it over. Or if its just data copy+paste will do.

gary67
14-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Windows inbuilt file and settings transfer wizard. I know it's a wizard but this one does actually work

R2x1
14-08-2009, 10:23 PM
That wizard tends to slow up after activity, so you may have to allow it to take a spell occasionally.

pctek
15-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Is it just a matter of getting all the files and folders and programs from the old one to the new one via the ext hdd?

Cheers LL :D

Data can be transferred. Programs usually need to be reinstalled.
However, depending on his games, he can just file copy many of them over and they work just fine.

It's the stuff that wants loads of registry entries that usually don'tt work.

But I've found most games don't care and work just fine.

lakewoodlady
15-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all your comments and advice, everything is now over on the new machine and son is smiling!
I did most of it from the ext hdd and it all worked just fine. Keycodes for all the programs no problem, even my family tree went over no prob and all the files seem to be in place.
All happy in our house tonight! :thanks

LL