PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 - Inbox Compaction.

B.M.
14-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Ok, I still use OE6 for my E-Mail, but for Zonks now, I’ve been getting this message:

“The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or another application”
when it tries automatically, or I try manually, to compact my In Box.

There’s 2000 + messages in there and frankly I’m quite happy to leave them there as I’ve never had a problem finding what I want and scattering them around into multiple folders won’t ease my pain. ;)

Now, I’ve been on Google and there’s 30,000 + answers to this problem, none which have worked yet. :groan:

So, the question is: Anyone here got the “Recipe” to overcome this problem?

PS: The Inbox grows into Gigabytes if you don’t compact. (That’s for others using OE6 who wonder where their disk space is going) ;)

Blam
14-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Try going File > Work Offline

Then manually compact all folders.

Do not open anything until it finishes

When thats done untick work offline again

ALso try using this tool to compact the folders. It'll also reset the registry count.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx

Blam

FoxyMX
14-08-2009, 08:24 PM
There’s 2000 + messages in there and frankly I’m quite happy to leave them there as I’ve never had a problem finding what I want and scattering them around into multiple folders won’t ease my pain. ;)

That would not be helping with your problem. OE baulks at having too many emails in the Inbox so it would pay to create one other folder at least and shift them all into it. Otherwise one day you might lose the lot.

wainuitech
14-08-2009, 10:49 PM
First thing I would do is open the store folder for outlook Express - right click / Properties - check its total Size.

OE has a capiticity of 2GB anything close or after that expect corruption and possible lose of all mail.

If its to big, try deleting some mail to free up space - I have repaired MANY broken OE's / Errors by simply cleaning out the junk and reducing its size.