PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Address book

DavidW
14-08-2009, 02:10 PM
After reinstall of Windows XT Prof (all HD saved under 'old data') I have reinstalled Outlook 2003. Thanks to a previous post I have my pst file back and I am now looking for the address book file. Could someone enlighten me on where to look for it. What is its extention? Thanks david

Blam
14-08-2009, 03:07 PM
IIRC it uses a .csv extension..

DavidW
14-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks blam6 but that extention seems to be an excel extention.

ronyville
14-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I think its a .NK2 file that is the address cache. It should be sitting in C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook

just occurred to me that this is not what you are looking for?

Sweep
14-08-2009, 04:29 PM
The address book is contained within contacts within your pst file.

DavidW
14-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Great ronyville I had to delete the empy address book that was opening in outlook. Then copied the contents of 'c:\olddata\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook' to C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook
Re started the computer and the old address book was there. Thanks

nofam
14-08-2009, 04:52 PM
You may also need to re-enable the use of your Contacts as an address book:

- Right-click on Contacts in your folder view, and go to Properties
- Click the Outlook Address Book tab on the window that appears
- Make sure there's a tick next to Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book

ronyville
14-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Re started the computer and the old address book was there. Thanks

Good, I have 100 users at work and everytime I replace a PC I have to copy the address cache from the old pc to the new ones..... cos the users are so bloody lazy to go into the contact section and create contacts. They find the drop down address cache far more easier to use.

Also you didnt have to copy everyting... just the file that had the .NK2 extension

Misty
14-08-2009, 09:01 PM
In mine it seems to be sitting in
C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\address book

The address book shows as an open book icon and there is a wab~ file associated with it

Anyway that's what I am backing up and will be alarmed if I am relying on the wrong thingy !! :horrified
Misty

ronyville
14-08-2009, 09:09 PM
In mine it seems to be sitting in
C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\address book
Misty

Whats under C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook.. can you do a screenshot?

Misty
14-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Whats under C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook.. can you do a screenshot?
Hi Ronyville
There is no Outlook showing under microsoft ! The address book however totals 628 KB - does that not seem enough ??
Misty :groan:

ronyville
14-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Ronyville
There is no Outlook showing under microsoft ! The address book however totals 628 KB - does that not seem enough ??
Misty :groan:

I 'guess' that would be it than. I dont have Address book under my microsoft section. The 58kb office data file is my cached address file.

Misty
14-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I 'guess' that would be it than. I dont have Address book under my microsoft section. The 58kb office data file is my cached address file.
The OS I am using is XP Professional - would the location of the address book have something to do with the OS perhaps ?
eg - my emails show under C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\ Very Long Number\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Outbox.DBX file, etc, etc
Misty :illogical

ronyville
14-08-2009, 09:56 PM
OH I see now.. I am not using Outlook Express, I am using MS outlook ;), I am not too familiar with Outlook Express.

ronyville
14-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I just did a test with Express and I think you are right ...
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book is the file for Outlook Express contacts so I guess you are backing up the correct file.

wainuitech
14-08-2009, 10:21 PM
The easy way to save / export the address book takes a few seconds.

For outlook Express:

Open Outlook Express - Open Address book / File Export / (save box appears) Type in a name select location - Save -- DONE.

DONT export it from main OE Window file/import/export / address book - that usually fails.

For Outlook as sweep mentioned in post #5 The address book is contained in the .pst file - if you export , then import the .pst file to transfer to another PC , or backup , the address book "goes along for the ride".

if you want an easy way to backup the .pst file and all its contents for outlook - install the free backup plugin from MS. Download here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en) - I have my email back up daily Via this plugin to a server in the workshop - works perfectly.

To use Open outlook, File - Backup -- look at the options - done. ( or set to auto as I have)