PDA

View Full Version : The Anecdote Goes Like This ->

SurferJoe46
14-08-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm looking for the author of - or at least the truth - of this story about either Teddy Roosevelt or another US president:

At a large dinner, full of heads of state and people from the four corners of the world, the president was being watched carefully for "clues" on his table manners, as all the attendees wanted to try to fit in with what was expected of them as far as manners and table ettiquette.

Watching carefully himself - one of the delegates from (fill in blank here) notices that the president takes his saucer from under his hot soup bowl and tips some of the soup into it.

Not wanting to be one who didn't do the same thing in the White House Dining Room, he too - and with him now all the rest of the people at the table - do the same thing; pour some of their soup into their saucers.

Astonished, the onlookers watch the president take the saucer and bending over, he places the saucer on the floor for the White House cat.

I'm betting on Teddy Roosevelt, but I have tried all sorts of Googling and searches and I have had zero results.

R2x1
14-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Cherchez le chat.

Sweep
14-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Try this then:-

On March 4, 1925, President Calvin Coolidge invited friends from Vermont to join him at the luncheon. The friends were very nervous and worried about proper table manners for such an occasion. They decided to watch and do exactly what Cal did. The main fare went without a hitch, until coffee was served. The president poured some of his coffee in a saucer and added cream & sugar. His Vermont guests did exactly the same. To their great shock, Coolidge placed the saucer on the floor for his kitty cat.

R2x1
14-08-2009, 09:40 AM
See? Cats train cats.

SurferJoe46
14-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Try this then:-

On March 4, 1925, President Calvin Coolidge invited friends from Vermont to join him at the luncheon. The friends were very nervous and worried about proper table manners for such an occasion. They decided to watch and do exactly what Cal did. The main fare went without a hitch, until coffee was served. The president poured some of his coffee in a saucer and added cream & sugar. His Vermont guests did exactly the same. To their great shock, Coolidge placed the saucer on the floor for his kitty cat.

Calvin, huh? Seems kinda strange that he - not noted for much more than that I believe - even acted that way.

Jen
14-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Sounds like an urban myth to me.

Sweep
14-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like an urban myth to me.

Quite possibly. I have found several references to the story but no definitive source yet.

SurferJoe46
14-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I tried to debunk it at Snopes and there's no reference to it at all.

Sweep
14-08-2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.tsbvi.edu/cosbnews/cosboct98.htm

It was in a book apparently.