PDA

View Full Version : Is hotswapping very dangerous?

sammo450
13-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I want to update a corrupt Abit BIOS chip in my ASUS mobo, but it sounds like it could be a risky procedure. Anyone tried it?

Blam
13-08-2009, 03:58 PM
If its corrupt, then you don't have much of a choice..

Agent_24
14-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Hot-swapping (or hot-plugging) is used when the item being swapped is actually designed for that (like USB devices)

For BIOS chips it is called Hot-Flashing and does carry certain risk. I have done it many times however and never had a problem (because I know what I'm doing)

But do you actually need to use this? have you already tried bootblock recovery methods?

If you are certain that bootblock doesn't work, and you need to reflash then there are several things you have to make sure of first:

1) (and most important) that both chips are going to be electrically compatible with the socket on the board you are going to do the flashing in

2) You know how to remove and replace the chip, not only so you do not break pins off etc but that you also will not do something stupid like put it in backwards (the magic smoke will come out if you do this) or short something else out while you do it

3) You have a flashing program that will work with any chip/board (I use Uniflash but there are others)

and 4) (only in your specific case) ASUS use a different flash method to the rest of the world. If you are going to flash the chip in an ASUS board you will need to use a program which can handle ASUS flash method. Uniflash can do this on most ASUS boards (you may need to run it with the -asus switch)

So your first step is to find out if the chips are compatible. Google the model numbers on both chips and compare their datasheets (or if reading them confuses you, then post the numbers here)

Alternatively find someone with an EEPROM programmer and get them to re-flash the chip for you (I do have one of these and may be able to help in fact)

sammo450
14-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I think my Dad has an EEPROM programmer, I'll have to work out how to use it.