PDA

View Full Version : Skype

smithie 38
13-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi folks.

For those of us who continue to use Xnet, know that there can be a lot of buffering when watching You Tube, especially during the evening when download speeds are very low. Although there is no indication, is there buffering when one uses Skype??

The reason I am asking is that when the wife's sister in Hamilton contacts us on Skype in the evening more often than not I cannot get a webcam picture. At my end it tries to load but after a couple of seconds it just finishes up with a black screen on Skype. She can receive our webcam picture quite okay. If we contact her in the mornings there is no problem - picture at both ends. And yet I have no problems with other Skype contacts at anytime during the day or evening. We both have the latest version of Skype and the fact that we get a picture during the morning when Xnet speeds are high indicate that maybe the reason we get no picture during the evening is due to Xnet's slow download speeds later in the day, and I just wondered if there was buffering causing the non picture. It cannot be her webcam as we get a great picture in the mornings.

Any thoughts you guys?? Thanks

Smithie

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I've noticed in the evenings, the other end gets blocky compared to mornings or before 6 at night. It doesnt go completely black tho, just blocky / the picture looks like its breaking up.

smithie 38
13-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Speedy.

I get the picture breaking up also in the evenings, but in this particular case when I click on "Answer with video" the the circle in the centre of Skypes screen goes around a couple of times and then that disappears and I get a black screen.

Do you think it is Xnets slow speeds after 6 pm thats causing the non picture??

Smithie

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Do you think it is Xnets slow speeds after 6 pm thats causing the non picture??

Smithie Nope dont think so, this probably depends on what kind of cam is being used, and PC / and Skype itself. I dont think Xnet would affect the cam itself, or when you select the video , so the cam comes on, so you see the pic)

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I disagree, more often than not Xnet resell a Telecom DSL connection, and at those times the local Exchange gets rather congested, meaning things like video-calling suffers terribly (Which is why YouTube takes so long to buffer).

Unfortunately for you Carterton is sort of in the middle of nowhere, so unless you can get some sort of Cable connection with Telstra, or a Wireless alternative, you may be out of luck...

smithie 38
13-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your comments Chill.

If I changed to Orcon would that help the situation??

Smithie

R2x1
13-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Just check that when she tries Skype video later in the day, she turns some lights on. Hamilton can get pretty dark in the evenings ;)

smithie 38
13-08-2009, 03:29 PM
R2X1 He he :lol:

rumpty
13-08-2009, 04:36 PM
R2X1 He he :lol:

R2X1 wasn't being silly. The picture quality on Skype is very dependent on a well exposed camera. Maybe it is a bit dark in your wife's sister's room after 6pm?

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I doubt it, check and see if you can get on their "+" network.. Cable is most likely your best option for a better connection

mikebartnz
13-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately for you Carterton is sort of in the middle of nowhere,
Well it looks like I am going to the middle of nowhere tomorrow.
Actually fibre runs along the railway line through Carterton. My first ISP was Contact in Masterton and they used that fibre. It was the fastest Dialup ISP I had, about five times faster than Quicksilver my last one.