PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Safe mode.

ianhnz
13-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi guys and hoping can help, please. I now have a “refurbished” Compaq Pressaro S3100AN.
It came with Windows XP loaded, with a serial number thingee sticker, but when it comes out of warranty I was wanting to reload with my own XP disk. I had noticed that when it booted, into BIOS, the DVD light didn’t come on, so I checked out the BIOS in it was configured as C Drive, then CD, so I changed to A Drive, CD then C drive and now that is good. I tried to boot into Safe Mode, to run “Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware” but pushing all the Functions keys, from F2 up didn’t work.. :badpc: Is there a way of configuring the BIOS to allow this? Thanks, Ian.

ronyville
13-08-2009, 11:03 AM
F8 is what normally gets you into safe mode.. as soon as the pc starts just keep tapping F8...

ianhnz
13-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Also, I was wanting to load Linx, onto the hard drive. When I started to do this it said it was going to create a new partition. Won't that stuff the rest of the hard drive? Ian

ianhnz
13-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi ronyville. Yes I tried F8 nothing. Ian

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Well whats the point in going into safe mode, if youre going to format it. You may as well put your cd in use its key. Boot from it, format the hdd then reinstall XP. Only thing is, you'll have to get the drivers beforehand, if you want to use it on the net.

ianhnz
13-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Thats, Speedy Gonzales. The reason I tried to boot into Safe Mode, to run “Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware”.

ianhnz
13-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I was wanting to load Linx, onto the hard drive. When I started to do this it said it was going to create a new partition. Won't that stuff the rest of the hard drive? Ian

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Unless you use some kind of program (like partitionmagic, or vista I think). You cant partition the hdd. Usually its better if you do a clean install / partition the hdd into so many partitions. Then reinstall XP / windows, wait for it to finish / update it. Then boot from the linux cd, then install it

Blam
13-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I was wanting to load Linx, onto the hard drive. When I started to do this it said it was going to create a new partition. Won't that stuff the rest of the hard drive? Ian

I suggest you download Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)(burn iso to CD/DVD using ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download)) and then create two unformatted partitions(make sureboth are primary partitions.)

Install XP on one, then install linux on the other partition. GRUB will replace the XP bootloader and you can use that.

Blam

ianhnz
13-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks, blam6. I'll take that under advisement. :thanks