PDA

View Full Version : Norton GoBack problems. Ultimate Boot CD procedure.

MSUMavMan
13-08-2009, 05:54 AM
My computer is on lock down from Norton GoBack. After doing some research, I found this old thread from about a year ago. It goes into detail the same exact problem I have regarding this issue.

Here is the archived thread from this message board (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-92927.html)

And this is what is most likely my solution.

Hi WT, Once again I thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty.
I was using a USB keyboard, so had a hunt around and found a USB/PS2 adapter and that solved the problem on the options screen. I scrolled down to the GB removal tool and it "unhooked" GoBack. It then continued to boot to UBCD4Win and removed the GB history from the HD. I could then see the C drive (huge relief, I was backed up to a few days ago, but wasn't looking forward to a reinstall).
Took the CD out and rebooted and everything was back to normal. Just had to remove GB completely through add/remove programs.
Thanks for all your help. The UBCD4Win was brilliant. I had actually downloaded it ages ago (onto the PC that died), but hadn't built a disc as I thought it was all too hard. But really, apart from a problem with the AV (that was sorted through the UBCD4Win forum quickly) it was pretty easy.
Something that annoys me is that in searching the internet last night I found that Symantec had released a registry cleaner file download because of the conflicts between their products and the XP SP3 update. I had registered my copy of GB with them, I don't think it would have hurt for a blanket email to registered users that there was a possible problem and that they had a fix available for download. Thanks again. You're tops

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is what I'm planning on using, but I've never used the program before. I plan on downloading it today and putting it on a CD.

My question is, can anyone give me instructions on how to get around this pesky issue.

I thank everyone in advanced.

gary67
13-08-2009, 07:40 AM
You have to download the ultimate boot to your computer then put in your XP disc if using XP so that it can be used to build the ultimate boot for windows as you need access to the i386 folder from the CD. Assuming you use XP not sure about Vista. And get rid of everything from Norton, you should never have any of their products on a computer if you want it to work

Blam
13-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Download UBCD4Win. Run it, then select the I386 folder from either your HD or from a WinXP CD.

It will be needed to built the image.

Then burn the image file to a CD using something such as ImgBurn, and boot from it then you should be able to access your files and copy your data to an external media.

Blam