PDA

View Full Version : Troubles getting SoundBlaster card to work in Windows again

12-07-2001, 06:21 PM
Hi there,

After Explorer kept causing illegal operation messages each time my computer booted, I decided to reinstall Windows.

I decided (in all my wisdom! Yeah I know!)to install over the top the of the previous installation, so that I wouldn't have to reinstall everything.

Everything was working perfectly again... except for the SB16 sound card. I've tried reinstalling it many times, and have had to sort out all sorts of problems with DLL versions, etc, so I disabled it in Device Manager while I sorted out the DLLs and drivers.

But now when I ty re-enabling it I get these messages:

MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault
in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 0004:000013d7.

then, when I click OK I get:

RUNDLL32 caused a general protection fault
in module USER.EXE at 0010:00001276.

As a result the card is not enabled, and Device Manager quits. I've tried enabling the card in Safe Mode, but again I get:

MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault
in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 0004:000013d7.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Carey.

-----------------------------
File Versions:

MMSYSTEM.DLL 4.03.1998
RUNDLL32.DLL 4.10.1998
USER.EXE 4.10.1998

-----------------------------

16-07-2001, 01:39 PM
Hi Carey.

I have just had a sound card problem too. It was resolved by entering the system in safe mode. Then go to System/Device manager. Locate the sound card entry and delete it!

Back out and close the system down. When you restart, plug and play should then find the card for you. It maybe necessary to reinstall the driver for the sound card if not found by plug and play.

This worked for me, hope it does for you.

Bryan.