PDA

View Full Version : External HDD Problems - Clicking Sounds/Not Recognized On Windows 7

vims213
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I recently purchased an External Hard Drive from Eden Computers

The External HDD consists of:

Western Digital 3.5" SATA II Caviar Green 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/p.aspx?506931

Welland 3.5" SATA To USB2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure
http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/p.aspx?369513

When I plugged into my laptop I encountered a few problems:

The External HDD won't show up on "My Computer" but on my "Safely Remove Hardware Icon," it says "Remove USB to ATA Bridge." (THIS IS FROM USB 2.0)

Secondly, after I tried to plug it in again, I heard a clicking sound and Enclosure & Power Supply started to flash.

Lastly, my eSata connection isn't responding to my Computer.

What could be wrong with the HDD?

Cheers.

autechre
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
If you can, connect it to a SATA connector on the motherboard. ie. install it as an internal drive.
If it's not detected by the BIOS then its probably DOA. If so, send it back & get a replacement.

nofam
12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Have you actually formatted it yet?

Plug it in via USB, then right-click on My Computer, go to Manage, and then Disk Management.

Does it appear in there?

vims213
12-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Have you actually formatted it yet?

Plug it in via USB, then right-click on My Computer, go to Manage, and then Disk Management.

Does it appear in there?
Yeah it did show up on Disk Management last night. But it showed up as: "USB to ATA Bridge. " I can't check it now as my HDD is making a clicking sound and my power supply indicator is flashing.

wratterus
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Was the clicking sound only when the HDD was initially plugged in, or was it continual?

Can you use a separate power source?

vims213
12-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Was the clicking sound only when the HDD was initially plugged in, or was it continual?

Can you use a separate power source?
1.When I plugged my power source to the HDD, there was no clicking sound.

2. Once I switched the on/off button on the HDD, the light indicator on power supply and hdd started flashing and there was a continuous clicking sound.

babip
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Are you using any USB hub thingi to connect ?(4 in 1 usb hub or something )... if so then make sure that your new external HDD is plugged directly in to your Laptop USB slot.. I used to have this problem with mine, but it was sorted as soon as I plugged directly.
I don't know the logic behind this though..

vims213
12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Are you using any USB hub thingi to connect ?(4 in 1 usb hub or something )... if so then make sure that your new external HDD is plugged directly in to your Laptop USB slot.. I used to have this problem with mine, but it was sorted as soon as I plugged directly.
I don't know the logic behind this though..
I connected my USB directly into the USB Port in my laptop (I don't have a USB Hub) but thanks for your help.

wratterus
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Sounds to me like...

1. The HDD is not getting sufficient power through the USB port.
2. The HDD has not been formatted/initialized.

Just a guess anyway. Plug the HDD in with the separate power source and take a look in disk management.

utopian201
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure 3.5" drives REQUIRE a separate power supply; only 2.5" external drives can be powered by USB alone.

Have you tried installing the hard drive internally so you can run some diagnostics? Clicking noises are usually bad. I bought a new hdd and it started clicking. After a passing several runs of diagnostics, it eventually failed the diagnostics after a few days and was accepted for RMA.

wainuitech
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM
As the others have said - try connecting the Drive to a working PC directly to the SATA ports on the board.

I have one of those Welland 3.5" SATA To USB2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosures - and When ever I have tried to install a drive it stuffs up, wont allow the drive to work or simply freezes the PC (Its a heap of crap)

If I connect the same HDD directly to a PC it works fine or use another enclosure that also works fine.

vims213
12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
As stated before, I do have a separate power supply for the HDD. I'll try use the HDD on another computer but I have a feeling it won't work because of the click sound. Apparently it is called "The Click Of Death" where the internal HDD has died.

vims213
14-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I realised that I had to go to Disk Management and create a new partition on the external HDD.

I tried out eSata and my transfer speed only goes up to 50mb/s. I thought transfer speed goes up to 300mb/s.

Blam
14-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Thats only theoretical.

In real life situations there are many variables that affect this....