PDA

View Full Version : How to save videos from tvnz.co.nz?

forrest44
12-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Hi guys

I'm trying to save the video on this page
http://tvnz.co.nz/real-crime/s2009-killing-sophie-elliot-video-2887964
to my computer, so I can play it back at my own leisure.

With youtube, google vid, et al I usually just drop the video page URL into some website which then gives me a link to the .flv file to download.

However these websites don't seem to work for videos on tvnz.co.nz.

So what to do?

T.i.a.

P.S. I would prefer some solution that doesn't depend on installing extra software and what not

forrest44
12-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Got it

The links to the .flv files are referenced in an auxiliary .smil file referenced in the main page source

Sweeet

Sweep
12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
So it only took you 5 minutes to sort the problem including the time between the two posts to come up with the answer for yourself.

wisemas
01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi there,

I am trying to download files from the tvnz website but cannot find the .smil reference at all?

Wisemas

nofam
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
An increasing number of streaming sites are now using the RTMPE protocol, which uses encrypted streams for DRM purposes.

I understand a few apps existed that could decode this, but Adobe made them remove this functionality under threat of litigation.

So you can't save these videos in a nutshell - and if you could, you'd be breaking the law.

HTH :thumbs:

wisemas
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up

somebody
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up

If you're really keen, you could use a screen recording program (Windows Media Encoder is free, Camtasia Studio if you want something a bit more feature rich) and simply record the video as it plays in your browser.