PDA

View Full Version : What happened to swine flu?

forrest44
11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Saw in the paper they are shutting down swine flu centres and what-not in christchurch.

Why are there no more cases being reported? Are people mistaking it for normal flu and not bothering to get checked?
Is there going to be a second killer wave?
Thoughts?

Cheers

davidmmac
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
It was hyped up, and didn't turn out to be as bad as first thought.

Still haven't caught it yet (not sure whether thats a good thing - a week off would be great but it would mean loads of catching up).

Edit: Couple of articles here (http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/chch-swine-flu-centres-close-doors-2901924) and here (http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/swine-flu-numbers-slowing-down-2896677).

Twelvevolts
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Saw in the paper they are shutting down swine flu centres and what-not in christchurch.

Why are there no more cases being reported? Are people mistaking it for normal flu and not bothering to get checked?
Is there going to be a second killer wave?
Thoughts?

Cheers

The warmer weather has possibly helped, flu doesn't transmit as easily in warmer weather although Britain is getting hit so it doesn't always follow that it can't spread in summer. Not sure why there would be a second "killer wave", the virus could mutate of course but doesn't mean it will turn into a more lethal form (it has killed people here already of course). It will still be around next winter in some form and the reason they're probably closing down "swinr flu centres" is it is already too late to contain it.

Zippity
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
It was all just a conspiracy perpetrated by the media and a few hapless politicians :)

wotz
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
yep, was only good for a media story

lakewoodlady
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I agree with your signature Zippity, but that's about all.

Telling it straight LL

Sweep
11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
What is the difference between Swine Flu and Bird Flu?

Posssibly pigs do not fly I guess.

R2x1
11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Perhaps they have used up all the nearly-at-the-use-by-date Tamiflu shots, so they don't need to continue?

;)

Laura
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, it is still being reported - depending on your newspaper or other source of news.

Mine says there are 41 New Zealanders in hospital with it, including 15 in intensive care.
There have been 14 deaths.

Confirmed cases so far are 2984. Those are from actual lab tests.

Officialdom says true numbers will be "significally higher," as only a small proportion of people with symptoms are being tested - most just staying at home until it passes.
And although Canterbury is closing down its special centres through lack of enough use, numbers infected are still rising generally around the country.

I wouldn't count it out yet...

Twelvevolts
11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
and don't give kids tamiflu it seems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/6004014/Swine-flu-Tamiflu-harm-outweighs-benefits-for-children.html

Sweep
12-08-2009, 12:11 AM
And of course the Globe is still warming is it not. If it was then I assume I would not have to turn on a heater.

R2x1
12-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Please don't confuse global warming with people warming. The earth may get a lot hotter, but some people will still be naturally cool. ;)

Trev
12-08-2009, 08:39 AM
The reason they are closing down the special centres is because swine flu patients are now being referred to there own GPs. The reason they opened these centres was because they thought the GPs work load would be to great with cases of the ordinary flu, which didn't happen this year.
:)

R2x1
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
A politician told the absolute truth, and the pigs all flew away. ;)

TideMan
12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
SWMBO and I just had something. She got over it, then I got it. Not sure if it was swine flu. Shits with nausea and tiredness. Lost 5kg in 3 days.

But I found some new medication for shits: Inner Health Plus capsules. The chemist reckoned it is better than Immodium. You keep the capsules in the fridge. Supposedly they replace the bad bacteria in the gut with good stuff. It certainly worked for me. I only needed 2 capsules and the activity stopped. But maybe it would have stopped anyway?

andrew93
12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Official stats here : http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/influenza-a-h1n1-news-media

somebody
12-08-2009, 10:04 PM
SWMBO and I just had something. She got over it, then I got it. Not sure if it was swine flu. Shits with nausea and tiredness. Lost 5kg in 3 days.

Yikes!

R2x1
12-08-2009, 10:10 PM
SWMBO and I just . . .
. . . activity stopped. But maybe it would have stopped anyway?

Out of gas?

forrest44
13-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I can gain or lose 3 - 4kgs (? if scales are correct) depending on how much I eat over a few days, and I guess if you don't eat + have diaohrea and dehydration then 5kg would be easy..?

zqwerty
13-08-2009, 12:12 AM
R2x1 you have excelled in this thread, great stuff.

TideMan
13-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Out of gas?

Without going into the details, I can assure you that the action will continue, whether or not there is gas or anything else left in the tank.

sarel
14-08-2009, 07:08 AM
It looks as if we are over the first swine flu wave. There may or not be a second wave (if one looks at previous pandemics) and that one is usually a bit bigger. So it's early days yet to say it's over. I just hope the Swine Flu bug does not mutate with something really nasty.

sarel

R2x1
14-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Beware of 'flu waves, remain calm.

Metla
16-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Now I don't know if it was swine flu, But it kicked my arse, and the advice from the medical professionals consulted (second hand) is that swine flu is the popular flu of the day so its pretty likely.

Anyhow, After crashing my bike and putting a hole in my leg that wouldn't stop bleeding after 7 hours (Mrs Headbanger wouldn't let me into bed and was pretty unhappy with the pools of blood dotted around the house) I ended up in a hospital waiting room, alongside a bunch of sick bastards who ignored what they were meant to do and took their infection to the hospital to spread it around people who were already in need medical help.Bastards.

Anyway,a day or so later I got a sore throat, 5 or 6 hours later I started to freeze and was exhausted, went to bed, electric blanket on full, all the blankets in the house piled on top of me, still I was freezing and shivering uncontrollably. My bones ached so bad I couldn't move,my head was pounding, My throat was so bad I couldn't swallow, and when I did the pain was mental.

Slept for 2 days, waking every so often covered in sweat, couldn't move,couldn't talk.Took a crazy amount of effort and pain to sit up and sip a glass of water.Like moving through concrete.

Eventually got out of bed, made it about 12 feet,passed out.Slept on the floor for 12 hours.

Back to bed, again the ache and the sweats, Finally emerged after 5 days of sleeping and sweating and felt a bit better.

Took another couple days to shake the worst of it, went a total of 9 days without any scrap of food, Lost 7 kg.

Apart from that, It was excellent. I laugh in the face of swine flu.:D

R2x1
16-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Apart from that, It was excellent. I laugh in the face of swine flu.
What you had was the Beta. The RTM Swine Flu is considerably stronger and more versatile in corrupting your soggy bits.
Norton's is good for slowing you down so much that the virus just shoots past you thinking you are a stationary object.