PDA

View Full Version : Checkdisc problem

Poppa John
10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi All.
Last week I asked the comp to do a checkdisc, it told me it would do it at the next bootup. At the start of a bootup, om a blue screen, I get this.

Checking file system on C
The type of file system is NTFS
Cannot open volume for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disc

Yet nothing happens. After about a minute it goes awat & bootup resumes. How go I get rid of this message. Thanks. PJ

Blam
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Is SP3 installed?

Poppa John
10-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Is SP3 installed?

Yes, ages ago. PJ

Blam
10-08-2009, 09:27 PM
How about Spyware Doctor?

Poppa John
10-08-2009, 09:48 PM
How about Spyware Doctor?

I have run Spybot S7D since then, no problems. Do you suspect spyware?. I would have thought a failed checkdisc run. PJ

Blam
10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
No, there is apparently a problem with Spyware doctor that can cause this..

If its not installed don't worry about it..

Do you have an XP disc? Boot from it and access the recovery console(press R at first screen)

From there, do a chkdsk /P

Blam

Phil B
10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
You could try chkdsk /x It forces the drive to dismount before it checks does a chkdsk /f

pctek
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
You could try chkdsk /x It forces the drive to dismount before it checks does a chkdsk /f

Running Chkdsk from the Recovery Console

Switches for the Chkdsk command in the Recovery Console are not the same as those in chkdsk run from within Windows command line.

There are only two:
/P : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors. Does not check for bad sectors
/R : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Better to do it this way than on reboot from within Windows.

Poppa John
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Running Chkdsk from the Recovery Console

Switches for the Chkdsk command in the Recovery Console are not the same as those in chkdsk run from within Windows command line.

There are only two:
/P : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors. Does not check for bad sectors
/R : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Better to do it this way than on reboot from within Windows.

pctek...I have NO idea what you are talking about. I guess I will just have to put up with the extra "message" on bootup. PJ

Blam
11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
pctek...I have NO idea what you are talking about. I guess I will just have to put up with the extra "message" on bootup. PJ

Read my post-it is what PCTek repeated.

pctek
11-08-2009, 05:39 PM

I said:

When you boot off the Windows CD, and choose Recovery Console you use chkdsk differently to the way you would if you had launched it from within your installed Windows.

Sweep
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
It is a while since I saw Poppa John but at one time he did not have a windows CD in any event.

Blam
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Use that if you don't have an XP CD.

It is recovery console on a CD^^

Use a program such as ImgBurn or Nero to burn the iso file as an IMAGE to a CD/DVD, don't burn the file to the disc...burn it as an image

Blam

Poppa John
11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
OK. I have a CD in front of me. Please tell me, step by step, what to do. Thanks. PJ

Please type slowly so that I can write the instructions down. pj

Blam
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Its well known knowledge, so I won't bother typing it all out, just follow the instructions here:

http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Unless you've changed the Admin password it should just be nothing

Blam

Poppa John
12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry blam..My damaged brain won't do this. I am going to drop it & cope with it. No harm being done. Thanks for everybodies help. PJ

Thread closed.