PDA

View Full Version : HP Laptop out of resources

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Greetings all,

I have a friends HP Laptop, a Pavillion HDX9000, and ever since he re-installed Vista (And also trialled Win7) he's been getting out-of-resource errors on his cabled LAN card.

Prior to re-installing Vista (Using the factory image restore function) it worked fine, without a worry, every time.

Now from what I understand, he can remove the device from the Device Manager then scan-for-new-hardware and it'll work until he reboots.

Unfortunately the BIOS is *so* restrictive it's the worst I've ever seen. The device is now outside of warranty and HP wanna charge him to send it in and have them disable the Bluetooth to see if that'll free up the resources (IRQ conflict?). We've definitely got the latest BIOS from the HP Support site, and can literally do nothing in there, its horrible :(

Any ideas much appreciated

Cheers

Chill.

Blam
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Update the LAN cards drivers?

What are the exact errors? Anything in event log?

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
The same thing happened to the other desktop here, with the modem that was in it. I removed it put it back and it wouldnt work. Because there were no resources left. Dont know why, its been removed more than once, and it always worked.

So, in the end I deleted all the entries in the registry, to do with the modem. Then put it back in. Has been fine since. This was with XP tho, not Vista

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2009, 03:45 PM
We've re-installed from scratch with Vista & Win7, done driver updates for everything in the system (in all OS's), and even done another factory restore to the HP WinVista setup... still has the out-of-resource errors in the device manager :(

Blam
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Could you do a print screen of the exact error?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Ah what SP is on this Chill? It looks like Vista SP1 used with certain AV programs (If you're using a PC with multi-processors), can cause the system to eat up resources.

I dont know exactly WHAT resources its talking about, whether its ram or anything (including hardware resources as well). Info here (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-SP1-with-Antivirus-Installed-on-Multiple-CPU-Systems-Eats-All-Resources-118838.shtml).

According to most sites, SP2 fixes it. This is the fix if SP2 isnt installed (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961775).