PDA

View Full Version : XP pro to XP pro: Slow network transfer speeds

utopian201
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi
I've noticed recently that network transfers between two PCs at home are slow (around 88kb/s). It normally runs at several megabytes a second (it is a 100mbps wired ethernet connection). Transferring a small file (~7mb) used to be instant but now it takes minutes.

Is there anything I can check to see why it is so slow? My connection to the internet is faster than the connection to the computer in the next room!

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I wouldnt worry about it, as long as it works after.

Blam
10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Do you have anything that could be hogging network traffic?

Is the router/modem overheating?

utopian201
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Do you have anything that could be hogging network traffic?

Is the router/modem overheating?

There is nothing else hogging network traffic between the two pcs; only a remote desktop session I use to share folders temporarily, transfer the files, then unshare the folders again.

I have the router and pcs plugged into a 100mbps switch. It normally runs fine at around 8mb/s but it has dropped to 88kbs (according to my firewall). I haven't checked the switch to see if it is overheating, but I'll do that when I get home.

Speedy: Not worry?? :o but it is several orders of magnitude slower!! It takes 2-3 minutes to transfer a measly 4mb photo!! I could load the photo onto a usb card, run (actually, walk!) to the other room and plug it in and load the photo faster than it does over the network :p

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
What happens if you nuke the firewalls on both temporarily, as well as A/V protection to make sure they're not interfering?

utopian201
11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
When I logged off to log on as administrator, the computer didn't go back to the logon screen. When I turned the comp off and on again, the network speed is fine again. Hmm, I guess its one of those things. I just wish you didn't have to reset windows all the time grr