PDA

View Full Version : No power to USB ports

mzee
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a coomputer to fix with Chinese XPpro SP3, but the Bios is in English.

The USB ports are recognized on boot, and in Windows, but they are dead all the time. There is no power to the ports as when you plug a mouse in there is no light. I have not checked for a fuse on the Motherboard yet, meantime, any ideas?

I have booted it on Puppy Linux and the USB ports are not recognized at all, which is unusual!

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
There is no fuse on the mobo. Well, I've never seen one. Delete all the entries under USB controllers, in device manager then reboot. Is it a desktop or laptop?

Blam
10-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Might be a bit of dust.

Most probably the mobo is on the way out...

inphinity
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Sounds like USB is disabled in the BIOS, or the controller has died.

pctek
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I
The USB ports a in Windows, are dead .

I have booted it on Puppy Linux and the USB ports are not recognized at all,

The motherboard is history, time for an upgrade.

CYaBro
10-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Yup mainboard sounds like it is dead.
I've had a couple of machines in recently with the same problem.
Tested with a linux boot CD and USB ports still didn't work.

One customer upgraded machine while the other didn't have much money so just went with a PCI card with 3 USB ports on it.

mzee
10-08-2009, 01:52 PM
There is a yellow question mark in device manager. The message is Chinese so all I can see is PCI. I have tried to reinstall the drivers from the MB CD, one will not install, comes up with an error.
I have wasted enough time so will put in a card, hope the PCI slots are Ok.

Removed 50 Trojans & a swag of Worms. Runs fine apart from the ports.

wratterus
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
If it still doesn't work in Linux then most likely the mobo is toast.

If you can it might be worth trying a BIOS update.

mzee
11-08-2009, 11:21 AM
What are the limitations of a PCI USB card? Will they still work out of Windows with Keyboards, Mouse, & Backup Progs like Acronis, same as the Motherboard ports?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Could be the trojans etc it got hit with. It probably stuffed something up

Reformat it, see if it makes a diff

Blam
11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Could be the trojans etc it got hit with. It probably stuffed something up

Reformat it, see if it makes a diff

It doesn't even work in a linux live CD....Its definetly NOT a software problem..

Agent_24
11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
There is no fuse on the mobo. Well, I've never seen one. Delete all the entries under USB controllers, in device manager then reboot. Is it a desktop or laptop?

A lot of boards do have fuses and look like this: http://www.phonda.com.tw/Fuse_SMD.htm

But I think most are self-resetting and therefore should be OK. However if one did fail completely you could get the problems here.

Check the 5v Standby rail from the PSU, it should be ... 5volts (Purple wire if you have a normal PSU)

If you don't have a meter try another PSU.

Some motherboards have jumpers to select the power source for the USB ports. It can either be the 5vSB or the normal 5v rail. if the jumpers were removed so that the ports got power from nowhere, you might also experience this kind of problem.

What motherboard does this computer have?