PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get ICS to work on Vista laptop with USB broadband

Jabaal
09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi,

I have two Toshiba satellite pro notebooks, same model, both using Vista. The primary notebook has a usb modem (non-xt Telecom t-stick). I wish to share this broadband connection with the second notebook which is networked via a cheap switch.

Both PC's can see each other on the network, check each other's' files.

The secondary machine can also see an Internet Gateway device, which belongs to the primary machine.

Inspection of the devices on the primary machine are:

Local Area connection (network card for the local network)
This has an ip address of 192.168.0.1 (was auto-assign before sharing the modem)

Local area connection (software modem imitating the usb modem)
This has the internet sharing tab ticked
IP address auto assigned. Always has a cross on it showing not connected to a network, but when you click on "connect"' it comes up as already connected. Disconnect/reconnect does not fix things.

When I use a browser on the secondary machine (IE or firefox) the address seems to resolve because I get a message "waiting for stuff.co.nz" or similar, and it stays that way until it times out.

I have tried it with all firewalls off, tried it using wireless connections instead of 10/100, uninstalled the modem software and re-installed, all with the same result.

Is this a problem with the usb modem software? Anyone managed to get this going with a non-xt Telecome stick on vista please?

:illogical

Blam
09-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Can it ping 74.125.45.100?

Jabaal
10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
The primary machine can ping 74.125.45.100, the secondary machine cannot.

Also realised that the primary machine has vista sp1, the secondary machine is just vista with no sp.

Jabaal
17-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Further update:

I am now using a sierra xt broadband card.

ICS setup on primary on automatic address allocation.

The secondary machine has some connectivity. I can get tracert to go to places like www.worldofwarcraft.com ok, and it can ping the other machine and 74.125.45.100 mentioned above.

I really would appreciate a hand with this, its driving me nuts.

I asked Telecom for help, they said that as the first machine was working, the rest of it was my problem.