PDA

View Full Version : CCTV application...

Capt.Hook
09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi all,

Am I able to run an application, such as the one in the heading, from an external drive.

Thanks
Hook

Blam
09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Depends if it depends on the registry also.

Most programs do.

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
What kind of CCTV app?

Capt.Hook
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Not to sure what you mean there blam.

I'm running the shop's cameras off of my main computer,the shop is 4 sale with the system going with it.I just want to keep my computer,so thought I could have the app on a external drive,a 350gb.Also could I run a full OS from the drive,eg: XP.

Hook

Capt.Hook
09-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I run the swann system,its pretty basic.If there are better ,I would be pleased to know

Hook

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Cant see why you cant run an OS on it. Only thing is, I wouldnt have recording 24/7, it would probably fill up fast, if you did

Capt.Hook
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks Speedy,
it over writes itself if need be,so space isn't a problem.
I'll give it a try and see what happens,nothing like adventure

Hook

Sweep
09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks Speedy,
it over writes itself if need be,so space isn't a problem.
I'll give it a try and see what happens,nothing like adventure

Hook

So the shop is for sale and I presume all computer stuff goes with it ( the sale ) or not.

Currently do you have a computer at home and also a computer in the work place. Which one is the MAIN computer or the one you want to keep aside from the sale.

I think once you wanted to check intrusions into the shop from home or vice versa or both.

If you are selling the business with cameras why would you need to check the business from home anymore?

Capt.Hook
10-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Sweep,

I want to get the application off my computer so I can get back to using it for what it was custom built for,and take out the capture card .The idea of having the program on an external drive,is so I can give it to the new owners,as ready to go.The cameras stay put obviously.

Hook

inphinity
10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Most applications like this will need drivers installed for the capture card (at the very least) and such, rather than simply plugging in a USB drive with the app on it. Doesn't mean you can't run it off an external drive, just it will probably require some installation to work on a different PC.