PDA

View Full Version : Help with setting up a home network

xyz823
09-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi, I have to computers. One is a desktop PC and the other is a laptop. They connect to the internet through a Thomson TG585v7 Router. The desktop via ethernet and the laptop via wireless. Both computers are running Windows Vista. I would like to know how to set it up so that I can access files on one computer from the other and vice versa. TIA

xyz823
09-08-2009, 12:29 AM
oops typo. "to" should be "two". I have two computers.

Blam
09-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Welcome to PF1:)

Follow these steps:

1. Join both computers to the same workgroup. Right Click My Computer>properties>on the left pane select "Advanced System Settings>Computer Name tab>change>Select workgroup and type HOME or something, does not matter as long as both are on the same workgroup. (Note that this step is not neccessary, but will make your life much easier..)

2. Open up network and sharing centre from Control Panel

3. Enable file sharing and network discovery.

4. Configure any Antiviruses or Firewalls for file sharing.

5. Make sure you can ping the other computer(Run>cmd>ping computername)

Now right click any folder you want to share>Sharing>Share with everybody(read/write permissions)

Once that is done, you should be able to access the other computer via Network, or just type \\computername or \\IP of Computer

Blam

xyz823
09-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Thankyou SO much for your help. How do I send files from my laptop to my printer which is connected to my desktop?

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 09:37 AM
On the laptop, open the printer folder - start / printers - add printer - Select networked printer - Locate your printer on the desktop - it will automatically bring across the drivers and install. If it wont detect the printer you may have to share it first - but sometimes it detects fine.

Just remember the desktop has to be turned on for the printer to print, unless its a LAN printer connected to the router.

xyz823
09-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Yup I got that done, it is showing up as Brother MFC-290C Printer on XXXX-PC. (XXXX-PC is the dektop). But when I try print it just comes up with "Error-Printing"

xyz823
09-08-2009, 10:01 AM
I can get the Brother HL 1440 working fine, But the MFC 290C NOW ISNT WORKING FROM ANY COMPUTER! Please, Please help.

xyz823
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Crap, Well the printer managed to delete itself somehow? and now it isnt showing up in the printer list. And when I unplug it and plug it back in it doesnt reconnect or anything.

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm assuming the MFC 290C is also on the Desktop ?

if it is and not showing , it may have dropped the drivers for some reason. Try reinstall its drivers.

Also as silly as this may sound - make sure its plugged in firmly on the PC as well as the printer, AND turned on ( lights showing).

Unplug it, then plug back in - Does it do the "plink /Plonk" sound of being disconencted - Seen many times that simple task alone fixes a connecton problem. Also seen way to many times, people think its turned on then :o Discover its not.

If its still not detecting try another USB port.

gary67
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
reboot your computers and possibly you will have to re install

xyz823
09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Tried all of those sadly, it wouldnt let me reinstall, kept telling me that it was already installed. So I rebooted and same thing. So Im doing a system restore now. See if that fixes it.

xyz823
09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Cool that worked a treat lol. All is working 100%. Thanks very much for all your help guys.

xyz823
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
One more "quick" question. When accesing files on the desktop from my laptop, I have full control on one username but the other is read only. How can I fix this up?

Blam
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Did you set permissions to Everybody with Read/Write?

Check by right clicking the folder>properties>sharing tab>Advanced Sharing>Permissions

Blam

xyz823
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Yep set that and still wont work. Oh well dont worry about it,

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Yep set that and still wont work. Oh well dont worry about it, Thats because you are only half sharing the Vista Folders.

heres howto do it correctly :

Sharing Folders in Vista is a two step process.

Go to the folder you want to share:

Right click it, select properties, go to the sharing tab, click on the word( button) “Share”
In the blank Drop Down box, hit the arrow on the right, select Guest, Click ADD,

In the box below will be guest, select it, ( it will say Reader) change it to “ Co - Owner” Hit Share down the bottom, it will take a few seconds to share, then click DONE.

SECOND PART:

Back at the properties window, select “ Advanced Sharing”, put a tick in the box that says “ Share this folder” - Click Permissions - by default there will be an entry called “ Everyone” in the check boxes, place ticks in Full Control, Change , Read, click OK ( 3 times)