PDA

View Full Version : Dubious online retailer

toonttm
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
A few months ago I had the misfortune of dealing with an online retailer called UEC Ltd.
I am currently looking at some products on pricespy and see that UEC Ltd is still alive and well.

My experience: They told me the items I wanted were in stock so I deposited the money into their bank account. Got mucked around for a week so went for a drive to their address, 11 Girrahween Drive, Glenfield, Auckland. This address does not exist but there is an 11A. The neighbours told me they have people looking for number 11 on a regular basis.
I did an internet search based on their company registered number and found it was actually for another business. A bit of further searching found that these guys were involved in numerous enterprises (mostly pc companies), a lot of which were unregistered 'Limited' companies.
If you deal with them be very wary...

Blam
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/297771/?

Indeed.

george12
08-08-2009, 10:12 PM
A few months ago I had the misfortune of dealing with an online retailer called UEC Ltd.
I am currently looking at some products on pricespy and see that UEC Ltd is still alive and well.

My experience: They told me the items I wanted were in stock so I deposited the money into their bank account. Got mucked around for a week so went for a drive to their address, 11 Girrahween Drive, Glenfield, Auckland. This address does not exist but there is an 11A. The neighbours told me they have people looking for number 11 on a regular basis.
I did an internet search based on their company registered number and found it was actually for another business. A bit of further searching found that these guys were involved in numerous enterprises (mostly pc companies), a lot of which were unregistered 'Limited' companies.

You've got to be very very careful.

I was once (2 years ago) taken for $2300 in a similar situation. All could have been avoided if I had have just checked the companies register and/or insisted on a valid phone number + physical address etc.

GoodHour
08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
There's another retailer on Pricespy which makes a practice of advertising low prices for items which they don't have in stock. If you go to their shop, they try to sell you the next model up at a relatively high price and overcharge for accessories.

wainuitech
08-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Thats why you don't always get what you think you are buying from places that list in price spy.

Its usually better to spend a dollar or two more and buy from a well known and trusted shop in the first place.

qazwsxokmijn
09-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Its usually better to spend a dollar or two more and buy from a well known and trusted shop in the first place.
Problem is it's usually much more than a dollar or two! :lol:

PaulD
09-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Thats why you don't always get what you think you are buying from places that list in price spy.

Well known and trusted shops are also listed in price spy.

To quote the guy that runs it

"Price isn't everything. Service, prompt delivery, freight charges and returns policies should be considered when you decide where to buy but are not part of this comparison.

I only want to list honest, reliable retailers so let me know if I'm not. Please use the feedback system or send mail to philip(at)pricespy.co.nz."

robbyp
09-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Please can you make a compliant to the companies office about this at www.companies.govt.nz. All registered companies must provide a legitimate physical address for their registered address.

whellington
09-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I only buy from CL and ascent

robbyp
09-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I only buy from CL and ascent

I buy from pp and ascent, and maybe others who look professional if the price is good, but I will only pay by CC, to protect myself. I have never been burnt by a trader.

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Problem is it's usually much more than a dollar or two! :lol:
It is not if you get what you want as against getting shafted.

bk T
09-08-2009, 10:54 AM
There's another retailer on Pricespy which makes a practice of advertising low prices for items which they don't have in stock. If you go to their shop, they try to sell you the next model up at a relatively high price and overcharge for accessories.

I had a similar experience a while ago; ended up with a big argument with the manager.

+ 1

toonttm
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I would have logged a complaint with companies office about UEC. The address I went to is listed on their (UEC) website. The address on the companies register is a different address. It does exist on googlemaps.

Must say that overall pc retailers are atrocious at customer service. I have lost count of the number of emails I have sent to various retailers with no response. One shop I actually went to, stood beside the items I wanted, walked around the shop a couple of times and then left. 1 staff member was taking a pc to pieces on his desk, another was eating a bowl of noodles at his desk and the third guy was leaning on the counter. Neither of them came near me in the 10 minutes I was in the (empty) store.

These days I'm trying to buy from Trademe. At least there people are a little more observable and easier to follow up if needed.

gary67
09-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Have you tried Ascent excellent service, online, easy to communicate with RMA's get sorted very quickly, no shipping charges. In fact their service is second to none

R2x1
09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Aside from avoiding toaster shops, I have varied my suppliers quite a bit lately. When I find one that shines and is close to home, I will probably become more loyal. The supplier I was loyal to has drifted downward over the last six months, and at my last visit the counter jumper flatly lied on a subject of which they plainly had no knowledge at all. (Heat sink compound, thermal transfer paste, thermal patches, Arctic silver, no name worked on this diploma'd clown.) If they don't need aptitude, they don't need my money either.

R2x1
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Have you tried Ascent excellent service, online, easy to communicate with RMA's get sorted very quickly, no shipping charges. In fact their service is second to none
Are you implying that the toaster shops with double names beat them?

pctek
09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Must say that overall pc retailers are atrocious at customer service.

These days I'm trying to buy from Trademe. At least there people are a little more observable and easier to follow up if needed.

Don't choose the retailers by price. Choose by reputation.

And Trademe? You're joking. There is zero after sales service there either.

robbyp
09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Don't choose the retailers by price. Choose by reputation.

And Trademe? You're joking. There is zero after sales service there either.

Ditto. I would only buy off trademe for something that I don't expect aftersales service for, eg a silicon cellphone cover. There are however some online retailers, who also sell stuff on trademe, and they are OK as you are protected by the CGA if you use 'Buy Now' on trademe. If you buy via the auction process, you are not covered by the CGA.

Gobe1
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes when buying a new system, a couple hundred dollars extra for buying locally or from a reputable seller has to be worth the stress saved (did that make sense?)

Phil B
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I always buy any major purchase from a physical shop. That way you've got someone to face up to & give serious grief if they don't play ball. Online is ok for $20 stuff. I've even got PC in stuff from China. They're more trustworthy than the online PC places here. Last thing I bought was a moisture detector for buildings.