PDA

View Full Version : WHS won't backup

stormdragon
08-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I've finally got back to setting up my WHS, only problem is neither of the two clients I've got setup want to automatically backup.

Both can be backed up manually, both have been on during the backup time and are now complaining they aren't backed up.

I can't find anything in event logs that I'd contribute to this.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Cheers

hueybot3000
09-08-2009, 11:06 AM
id try restarting the backup service, i cant remember how you do it but its under backup on the settings screen in console

stormdragon
09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I've tried restarting the service "Windows Home Server Computer Backup" from within admintrative tools can't find anything in the console. Didn't help.

Anyother suggestions?

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I've tried restarting the service "Windows Home Server Computer Backup" from within admintrative tools can't find anything in the console. Didn't help.

Anyother suggestions? You Open the Homeserver Console - then on Settings (top right) Select "Backup" and change the times As Shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Homeserver.jpg)

stormdragon
09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Yea already setup the backup times, both computers have been on during this time on multiple occassions.

Thanks

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Try turning off the firewalls on the PC's concerned, I had a couple here that wouldn't back up, and it was the server attempting to back up, but the local firewall was blocking the request from the server.

Where you say you can do them manually - is that activated from the PC concerned or the Server ?

If from the PC - load up the server console - Computers & Backup - select Computer - backup Now -- What happens ?

stormdragon
09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Disabling firewalls didn't help.

Manual backup can be started from either end no trouble.

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Hmmmm Just been doing some reading on the problem - By any chance are the client PC's 64Bit OS's ? if so there was a known problem with the auto backups, but manual worked fine.

Make sure all the updates and Service Packs are installed for WHS as well - they do put out fixes from time to time.

stormdragon
09-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Nah both clients are 32 bit wanted to get them going before playing with my main x64 system.

WHS is fully up to date.

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Long shot -- what format are the drives on the PC's formated in ?

stormdragon
09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
NTFS

Cheers

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Hmmm Okay - have to have a think about this one :nerd:

Just looked on My WHS - there is a repair data base option ( down near the bottom of the picture I liked before) - NEVER used it - so I dont know exactly what it will do - use it at your own risk ????

ALSO - open the Console - to the right of the settings is "help" open that - in the list look at Computers and backup - Expand the list - under trouble shooting is several Suggestions that may or may not work.

stormdragon
10-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Tried repairing the database, will go through the whole trouble shooting piece later when I have more time, otherwise might just format the server and start afresh.

Cheers

notechyet
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
stormdragon
Ask the whs (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowshomeserver?lc=1033) forum, they have a good support.

hueybot3000
10-08-2009, 04:30 PM
repairing the databse (depending on how screwed it is) will probaly remove backups and start afresh

stormdragon
10-08-2009, 06:12 PM
The only backups were the manual ones I'd done originally so thats no big deal. Will go through and do a format and reinstall in the next couple of days if time allows.

Cheers