PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for good film-making, TV technology and photography clubs in Auckland

barryk
08-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello PressF1 Forum,

I'm wondering if the PressF1 Forum people are able to help me find good film-making, TV technology and photography clubs in Auckland, and improve my media communications and technology skills. These clubs that "fit the bill" will need to be within 30 mins' drive from Auckland CBD.

(for the meaning of "fit the bill", see http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/fit+the+bill.html)

I know there is the North Shore Photography Club but is this club a good one? If yes, what things make this one a good photography club?

My enquiry is because:
1) I'd like to learn techniques for making a quality film (of 5-20 minutes). A film-making club should help with this.

2) I have a 32 inch Sony flat-screen TV which I think is a very good TV however I have bad reception :annoyed: and also I'd like to get more out of the TV e.g. Freeview HD, photo display (from digital camera). A club that has TV technology know-how should help with this.

3) I'd like to get better at digital photography. I have a Fujifilm camera but need to change its settings from night mode back to sharp day mode. Because I tried to take photos of an evening dance but the digital photos came out all wrong! :annoyed:

If you are able to assist me with my enquiry, that would be appreciated. :cool:

Thanks,
Barry.

Blam
08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Best learning tool=Google..:D

Answer to no. 2:

Are you currently receiving TV via analogue? If you want Freeview HD then check here if your area has it first:

http://www.freeviewnz.tv/all_about_freeview/coverage

If it does, all you need it a DVB-T decoder. Try DickSmith and TradeMe

Blam

gary67
08-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Check the link on Blams post for freeview reception if your in Auckland you should be able to get freeview on UHF here in Nelson we don't have freeview HD so get it through our old sky dish it is still good though. A photography club will be the best for getting the most from your camera, go along one night and see they won't bite if you don't like it you don't have to join, they might even be able to help you with films although there should be a film club you could also try out. Call the club secretaries and talk to them they will answer any queries you will have then you will know if it's worth going for a look

barryk
09-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Check the link on Blams post for freeview reception if your in Auckland you should be able to get freeview on UHF here in Nelson we don't have freeview HD so get it through our old sky dish it is still good though. A photography club will be the best for getting the most from your camera, go along one night and see they won't bite if you don't like it you don't have to join, they might even be able to help you with films although there should be a film club you could also try out. Call the club secretaries and talk to them they will answer any queries you will have then you will know if it's worth going for a look

I have checked on the freeview coverage webpage that Blam gave the link to.

The webpage told me that Freeview terrestrial coverage is very likely in my area but I am wary of using the aerial to receive the Freeview signal as a TV aerial company said that reception is terrible in this area and said not to try to improve the aerial.

As for the photography club idea, I will try the North Shore Photography Society or the Auckland Photography Club, maybe even both. I could ask either organisation if they know about film making clubs - I could also ask the Auckland Film Society about this.

Trev
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Freeview terrestrial which is a digital signal is not as prone to interferance from weak reception as a analogue signal. You could very will get a good freeview signal. Only way to find out is to try it. When you buy the freeview receiver till them that you would like to try it out and if it dose not work would you be able to take it back for a refund.
:)

feersumendjinn
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
The webpage told me that Freeview terrestrial coverage is very likely in my area but I am wary of using the aerial to receive the Freeview signal as a TV aerial company said that reception is terrible in this area and said not to try to improve the aerial.
A very strange thing for an aerial company to say :illogical as there are ways to improve the signal if necessary (more elements on your UHF aerial, masthead/signal amplifiers, etc) which equals more money in the company's pocket.:horrified

barryk
12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Freeview terrestrial which is a digital signal is not as prone to interferance from weak reception as a analogue signal. You could very well get a good freeview signal. Only way to find out is to try it. When you buy the freeview receiver till them that you would like to try it out and if it dose not work would you be able to take it back for a refund.
:)

I think the choice is now between a terrestrial Freeview receiver (cheaper cost) and a satellite Freeview receiver plus a satellite dish (more costly but pretty much guarantees clear reception).

I'd like to avoid the more costly satellite Freeview receiving option if I can but not sure if a terrestrial Freeview receiver would be a risky option as terrestrial Freeview may not work well in all areas of NZ?

If terrestrial Freeview works well in most or nearly all of the Auckland region then that would be the best option. I can try it here and in one or two places on the North Shore on a money back refund basis.

Misty
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I know there is the North Shore Photography Club but is this club a good one? If yes, what things make this one a good photography club?
Hi Barry
The NS Photographic Society is very good. They do have three meetings a month - a workshop evening, projected images evening and prints evening and quite a few other activities. Membership has recently been capped at 150. Most members have grey hair but there are some younger members.

Whether it will meet what you need however is very problematic. Over cups of tea at the end of each meeting you could try to zero in on a member who seems to be knowledgeable in the area you query.

You can come along for three meetings before you have to decide whether to become a member, so you are not rushed into a decision. At $50 it is hardly expensive.
Misty :)

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Nothing wrong with DVB-T's signal, in Mt Eden. I'm using it here (with a USB tv tuner) with a mini - aerial. Its heaps better and clearer than the TV and the outside aerial.

somebody
12-08-2009, 10:38 PM
A very strange thing for an aerial company to say :illogical as there are ways to improve the signal if necessary (more elements on your UHF aerial, masthead/signal amplifiers, etc) which equals more money in the company's pocket.:horrified

It's good that they're being honest - it's going to win them more customers in the long run, rather than ripping people off by selling them a new aerial, amplifiers, etc. which may or may not solve the problem.

barryk
13-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Hello PressF1 Forum,
3) I'd like to get better at digital photography. I have a Fujifilm camera but need to change its settings from night mode back to sharp day mode. Because I tried to take photos of an evening dance but the digital photos came out all wrong! :annoyed:

One or two nights ago, I managed to change the digital camera settings back to sharp day mode by reading the instruction manual and doing the correct steps. One smaller success :) towards the goal of improving my media communications and technology skills :-)

barryk
13-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Nothing wrong with DVB-T's signal, in Mt Eden. I'm using it here (with a USB tv tuner) with a mini - aerial. Its heaps better and clearer than the TV and the outside aerial.

For those who do not know what DVB-T means, I think it means a digital terrestrial receiver enabling the viewer to receive the terrestrial digital TV signal.

Whether this also enables the signal to be converted into a TV picture, I think is another matter.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 12:21 AM
What? Course it converts it to a tv picture. Thats the point in getting / using it. Otherwise, I would be looking at a blank screen

R2x1
13-08-2009, 01:35 AM
What? Course it converts it to a tv picture. Thats the point in getting / using it. Otherwise, I would be looking at a blank screen
Have the programs really improved that much? I may watch a bit of TV someday soon then, but I won't bother turning it on (I think that is where I went wrong earlier).

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Dont know about the programs, but the picture has improved

barryk
13-08-2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks Speedy for your reply.

I'm not sure what happens after the signal goes through the air and into the aerial. It would be a raw signal until it is converted into a picture - unless I've got that incorrect.

Are you saying that your DVB-T aerial machine also does the conversion of the signal into the TV image? Or does the TV tuner card do that?

Can a DVB-T (with its own aerial) be connected to a flat screen TV too?

I agree that the signal itself is useless unless it is turned into a TV image.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 09:34 PM
It does come with a program to get the channels which helps (AverTV 6). Thats the program (that came with the USB tuner on CD), so you can scan for channels / view them. And record whatever.

Umm if the videocard has some kind of output on it (like for multi monitors etc), then yup, you can connect to a TV / whatever.

I cant do it on this but I could connect it to a TV, if I had a TV with an HDMI connection on it (which I havent got at the mo). The HDMI and VGA connections on the videocard are spare at the mo (I'm using the DVI for windows), so I could connect this to 2 more LCD's (if I had them), if they've got HDMI / VGA connections