PDA

View Full Version : Hauppauge TV card decision

toonttm
08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Can anyone recommend the Hauppauge HVR-2200 over the HVR-1100? They are nearly the same price. The difference I notice (hope I am correct here) is that the HVR-2200 has 2 tuners but the HVR-1100 has 1? I also see that the HVR-1100 has a remote but the HVR-2200 doesn't. Is a remote necessary or is it just another remote that I will never be able to find?

I am intending to run a S-VHS cable from the back of either a sky digital box or from the back of my DVD/HDD recorder (which is connected to sky digital). My HDD recorder is painful for editing out ads etc so I would prefer to do that on the PC - I am an avid History channel fan!

CYaBro
08-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I would be going for the HVR-2200.
Just note that it is a PCI Express card and not PCI!
Make sure your mainboard has a free PCI Express slot to take it.
The HVR-2200 also has a hardware MPEG2 encoder built in which Windows Media Center requires and takes the load off the CPU doing it.
As you want to connect a Sky box to it you will need a remote with an iR blaster so that you can control the Sky box with the same remote that you use for Windows Media Center.
It also means that if you set something to record, WMC can change the channel on the Sky box by itself.

Remote like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=378244)but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Blam
08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
HVR-2200

Much better value, you get a much more powerful tuner.

As for the remote, Philips has one retailing for $50, or just get any old MCE remote

davidmmac
08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
There's a few remotes on trade me that might be worth looking at (this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Other/auction-234550168.htm) and this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Keyboards/Cordless/auction-233968938.htm) are 2 examples).

toonttm
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Hmm, those pics looked familiar..I actually have a remote that came with my pc..I just never used it, its been sitting on a shelf for the last 8 months I was to busy playing games, lol.

Next question: is the 'standard' video signal (via RCA connector) better than the S-VHS signal?

Blam
08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I think you mean S-Video.

S-Video has better than RCA, yes but its still not very high quality.

Component at least, or HDMI if you can.

Blam

CYaBro
08-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I think you mean S-Video.

S-Video has better than RCA, yes but its still not very high quality.

Component at least, or HDMI if you can.

Blam

Problem is you won't get a tuner card that has component or HDMI inputs.
If you can they would be very expensive.

Blam
08-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Problem is you won't get a tuner card that has component or HDMI inputs.
If you can they would be very expensive.

Good point....but I despise S-Video..

CYaBro
08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Good point....but I despise S-Video..
'But it is a lot better than composite video (normally a yellow RCA)