PDA

View Full Version : Help - had enough, want to restore original settings

lisacomputer
08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey, I have been having various problems with my Vista laptop for a while now. The main problem is that my laptop often (about once a day or more) freezes, makes a weird clicking sound and has to be turned off. When it is turned back on it has to go through startup repair, sometimes several times. Also, my USB mouse stopped working, the light at the bottom of it comes on when plugged in but nothing happens. Mouse works fine on other computers and I have tried reinstalling the driver, have had to use touchpad. Finally whenever Vista tries to install updates it crashes and does not install them. I want to return my laptop to the original default Vista settings, all my data is backed up. Do I need a Vista CD/DVD to reinstall it, or can it be done without one? Oh and there are no past system restore points so that is not an option. Help appreciated, I'm not good with computers, thanks.

Sweep
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
So what CDs came with the Laptop and have you still got the same?

wainuitech
08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
freezes, makes a weird clicking sound Thats NOT good - Does it sound like a metalic sound - (bit hard to describe) If it is what I think - make sure all your data is fully backed up - the hard Drive could be about to fail - its called the click of death (google it).

Got one Customers drive here right now - she said it made a "funny clicking sound" - she ignored it - two days later drives dead.

lisacomputer
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Hmm. From memory (I got the laptop in December last year but any CDs etc would be at my parent's, I don't have any with me now) I can't recall any Windows ones, just the trial McAfee and also Itunes CDs, not much help. I looked at this article http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/ht/A7464491CB930E65CC2575E400168BA7?Opendocument&HighLight=2,reinstall,vista It says that not all computers come with a restore disc but there could be a 'resore partition'?

lisacomputer
08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes Wainuitech, infact we named it the 'click click sound of death' when we first heard it! Is it likely to be the laptops hard drive then? Laptop was bought less than a year ago so will still be under warranty. However instead of getting it sent away for ages I would like to restore it to original settings if its possible to do it myself. But if the hard drive is the issue, reinstalling is unlikely to solve any problems anyway?

gary67
08-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Often when you buy the laptop there is a shortcut on the desktop the first time you turn it on saying make rescue CD's now or something like that. Step sons did and I made him do them or rather I did them for him since he wasn't going to bother, but I also imaged it to my backup server as well.

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Yup if the hdd is the prob restoring whatever wont fix anything. I would restore it then send it back to be fixed

Does it have a restore partition?? If it does create the cd's/dvd's. There should be a program in the menu for this. Then reboot if theres a restore option on the post screen, select it

lisacomputer
08-08-2009, 06:11 PM
When I searched 'restore partition' it came up with the VAIO data restore tool. Can this be done to an external hard drive, or does it need to be a CD? Once this step is done, does it mean I can uninstall Vista then reinstall using the data on the CD or external hard drive? Sorry, I'm not very computer-minded haha

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Normally its a lot of cds or dvd or 2 dvds. It probably needs to be one these as it'll be compressed (the files on it, it's probably like a normal cd or dvd, when you install windows). It'll extract the files when it reinstalls.

I've never had a restore partition or a PC with one on it. Since I usually build mine, I dont buy them as a system / already made up

lisacomputer
08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Hmm looks like I may just take advantage of the warranty, means it has to get sent to the Christchurch office of a company called Service Plus. Hope it won't take too long to repair as my laptop is essential to my work :( Oh well it happens

wainuitech
08-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Expect / Allow at Least 1 week - maybe 2 ( serious) I know several People who have had HP/Compaq laptops in for repair under warranty in the WGTN branch and its taken a couple of weeks till they get it back.

DO take a copy of all your data you cant lose - normally if a drives knackered, they put in a new one and the OS - and thats all - they normally charge to save data.

Its up to the owner to save any data.

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Thats NOT good - Does it sound like a metalic sound - (bit hard to describe) If it is what I think - make sure all your data is fully backed up - the hard Drive could be about to fail - its called the click of death (google it).

Got one Customers drive here right now - she said it made a "funny clicking sound" - she ignored it - two days later drives dead.
I thought it was the Zip drive that gave the click of death. I do suspect you are right though.

Sweep
09-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I thought it was the Zip drive that gave the click of death. I do suspect you are right though.

The famous Iomega zip drive click of death!

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I thought it was the Zip drive that gave the click of death. I do suspect you are right though.Nope - Hard drives do it to - (Slightly off topic) I'm betting my customer whishes it was only Zip drives - the HDD I have here, Death Clicking - several years worth of data - while its backed up, the Backup is on the same drive :groan: This video (http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showthread.php?p=71251) down the bottom of the page - shows / explains it very well.

lisacomputer
09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks all, I have backed up all my data on an external hard drive and also another PC so it should be safe. Couple of weeks is a long time but its got to be done, luckily I should be able to manage for that long :)

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Nope - Hard drives do it to - (Slightly off topic) I'm betting my customer whishes it was only Zip drives - the HDD I have here, Death Clicking - several years worth of data - while its backed up, the Backup is on the same drive :groan: This video (http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showthread.php?p=71251) down the bottom of the page - shows / explains it very well.
Well done video. I have never heard a hard drive with the click of death and I have been using PC's since 20MB was a good size.
Had one guy who used to keep his PC wrapped in an electric blanket during the winter otherwise it was very reluctant to start in the morning. The hard drive would stick.