PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

Trev
08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
A friend of mine has some model of a Compaq desk top computer with the recovery disk in a separate partition on the hard drive. He is a person who likes to muck around with the OS although he dose not know what he is really doing. The OS on the computer is XP Home. Anyway he stuffed it up so much that when booted it would only get past the bios and come up with a message that some DLL file was missing and stop. Nothing would work not even going into safe mode. It was so stuffed up that even System recovery wouldn't work. Anyway he took it into some tech guy to fix which he did, and when he picked it up the guy said to leave Auto updates off and not to install SP3 as you only need SP2, as it well slow the computer down, and to only use IE6. Opinions please.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech doesnt know what he's talking about, update IE to 7 or 8. 6 is way out of date (unless he's planning on not using IE at all). And put updates on notify me, not disabled. Nothing wrong with SP3 (unless its one of the systems affected by SP3), but this can easily be fixed.

gary67
08-08-2009, 02:14 PM
The guy is talking out of his butt, SP3 is fine and as Speedy said put updates on notify. IE6 will have critical flaws so definitely upgrade

Trev
08-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, just what I thought.

Blam
08-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Use IE6???????

What an idiot.

B.M.
08-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Use IE6???????

What an idiot.

Me too.:lol:

Worse still, I've got updates turned off and never had a problem on this computer.

A mate on the other hand has a similar computer to mine and SP3 almost stopped it in its tracks, so I'm happy to let Microsoft keep SP3, complete with all its Phone Home add-on's.

Yes I know, I'm showing my cavalier attitude towards computers. :D

Trev
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
If you XP today SP3 is already with it.

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Please be kind and let everyone know who this tech is so we can all chew on his ankle.

Trev
09-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't no who he is but he goes under the name of Toast Computers, perhaps with a name like that and all his advice all computers he fixes turn to toast.

Blam
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't no who he is but he goes under the name of Toast Computers, perhaps with a name like that and all his advice all computers he fixes turn to toast.

:lol:

wainuitech
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Anyway he took it into some tech guy to fix which he did, and when he picked it up the guy said to leave Auto updates off and not to install SP3 as you only need SP2, as it well slow the computer down, and to only use IE6. Opinions Call me skeptical, but when I hear things like that - as in DONT run windows updates, right away I think of doggy software - ( Illegal product keys) - if windows doesn't update then it will never get the WGA through.

Is it the place in Napier ?

Trev
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes. BTW the reason not to use IE7 or 8 was that he said Firefox was better which is debatable. I myself use both Firefox and IE8 so I'm not biased in any way.

Blam
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Firefox is good but it comes down to personal preference..

And IE should still be updated. Even if you don't use IE IE6 could still exploit your computer

Blam