PDA

View Full Version : Telecom vs Xnet

GR8Metal
07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi All,

I'm thinking of changing ISP's from Telecom to Xnet. I want to utilise the VFX solutions from Xnet to save $$ on my current phone bill. I've heard that Xnet's speed is slow during peak hours (not that Telecom is any better) and was interested in some feedback on this.

Cheers all. :thanks

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah its horrible, and at some times because they wholesale off Telecom the fact that local exchanges can be overloaded even affects the internal-only VFX traffic.

To be honest if you can get Orcon's + network (see orcon.net.nz), then you'll be better off with something such as Orcon & 2talk.
However, if you can't, then it's definitely worthwhile going for Xnet, just try and get the best plan they have to offer with full-speed upload :)

bk T
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Just for your info, I've just changed (two weeks ago) from Xnet to Telecom. Speed is much faster than Xnet and very stable. Very happy.

GR8Metal
07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback bk T. I presume u meant much faster than telecom. Just a note, i'm still on the go large plan which i'm happy with but willing to make the change to another ISP only without losing performance ...

Metla
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd presume he meant exactly what he said, His switch to Telecom has given him faster speeds.

GR8Metal
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Woops, my bad... to many beers. :rolleyes:

whellington
07-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Imo orcon plans are way overpriced compared to others. I'm on xtra GO plan 6gb $39.99 a month. If you want a big data cap go with Slingshot, their $39.99 plan has 15GB data allowance.

bk T
07-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback bk T. I presume u meant much faster than telecom. Just a note, i'm still on the go large plan which i'm happy with but willing to make the change to another ISP only without losing performance ...

No,no.

Telecom is far much faster than Xnet! Xnet used to be good but NOT now.

I'm on the Explorer plan.

GR8Metal
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, sorry bk T, miss read your post...
Good to hear from someone who made the change and can provide feedback.

linw
08-08-2009, 12:07 AM
No,no.

Telecom is far much faster than Xnet! Xnet used to be good but NOT now.

I'm on the Explorer plan.

VERY big ditto on this.

Blam
08-08-2009, 01:08 AM
VERY big ditto on this.

+1

Telecom is actually quite good now *suprisingly*(except for the helpdesk of course.:p)

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Considering most ISP's simply wholesale off Telecom, with the exception of Orcon, Vodafone & in *some* cases TelstraClear / WxC... You may just be changing from a Telecom connection to a Telecom-resold connection :p

GR8Metal
08-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah true, good point. I've done some calculations and I would end up saving money but certainly do not want to go backwards in performance/reliability!

bk T
08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
+1

Telecom is actually quite good now *suprisingly*(except for the helpdesk of course.:p)

Other than their foreign accent & the phone line quality(clearity). their helpdesk is quite OK, actually.

Blam
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Other than their foreign accent & the phone line quality(clearity). their helpdesk is quite OK, actually.

Depends who you get.

robbyp
08-08-2009, 02:23 PM

People want a low cost service, so one of the costs of that is subcontracting out to low wage countries. If you are prepared to pay more, you can use an ISP with NZ based support.

rumpty
08-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Just for your info, I've just changed (two weeks ago) from Xnet to Telecom... Very happy.

Same for me, changed a couple of months ago, Xnet - Telecom. Just for broadband. Speeds are much better at peak times, and I get the benefit of ADSL2, which was not available on Xnet's straight broadband plans.

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Their Flood plan should be ?

rumpty
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Their Flood plan should be ?

Sure it should, that's what I was on, but Xnet restricted it. A comment from Neil on Geekzone says it all.

"Fusion is the only ADSL2+ enabled plan from XNet (if your exchange is ADSL2+ enabled)"

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Yeah its horrible, and at some times because they wholesale off Telecom the fact that local exchanges can be overloaded even affects the internal-only VFX traffic.
That is because of Telecom's horrible contention ratios. It really annoys me that you see so little about it in the media. Telecom/Xtra is 148 to 1 whereas England have 50 to 1. **** Telecom.

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Considering most ISP's simply wholesale off Telecom, with the exception of Orcon, Vodafone & in *some* cases TelstraClear / WxC... You may just be changing from a Telecom connection to a Telecom-resold connection :p
Totally agree most of them because they wholesale off Telecom can't do any better. It is only going to Telstra in Wellington/ Kapiti and Che che that you can improve on them.

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
That is because of Telecom's horrible contention ratios. It really annoys me that you see so little about it in the media. Telecom/Xtra is 148 to 1 whereas England have 50 to 1. **** Telecom.

Really? Where did you read about that?

I *know* its bad, real bad, but yeah... I'm presuming thats 148 DSL connections in to 1 fibre out or something?

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Really? Where did you read about that?

I *know* its bad, real bad, but yeah... I'm presuming thats 148 DSL connections in to 1 fibre out or something?
UK link (http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/contention.php)
Aussie link (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=197348) but doesn't truly say what it is.
NZ Link (http://publicaddress.net/default,2954.sm#post2954)and another (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/telecommunications/news/article.cfm?c_id=93&objectid=10378919).

Another interesting link (http://sqwert.net/) although dated and another (http://www.griffin.com/news/ContentionFactsnMyths.aspx).

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Interestingly enough even a ratio of 50:1 is still atrocious!
Seriously now, 24m/bit divided by 50 people is at best 500kbps, or around 60KB/sec. No wonder Voice calls suck so badly...
In larger businesses we recommend they oversubscribe at a rate of 6:1, staff vs lines. Imagine how great things would be if Telecom did that!

I'd be curious to know what Orcon / Vodafones contention ratio is on their equipment / RED / + networks

utopian201
10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
My speeds on telecom unlimited ranged from 12kb/s (I'm not sure if this was because it was due to peak times) to 450kb/s (I got this during the day, I almost always get it during off peak times).

wratterus
10-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Used both Telecom and Xnet, If you're someone who wants a dirt cheap plan, not to be tied to any contracts and just does a bit of emailing and basic stuff like that, Xnet is fine.

It is hopeless for pretty much anything else though, Telecom is a lot better, and recently they have actually been becoming usable. I'm very impressed with the speeds we're getting at home on the old go large plan. Last night around 10pm (normally busiest time) I had a torrent downloading at over 150kbps and was downloading normally at 450kbps +.

No complaints there, and that's their 'shaped' traffic plan. It gets a lot faster than that during the day.

Definitely recommend Orcon if you can though, and I've had really good experiences with Telstra Clear too.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Xnet do contracts now, 12 months, I believe they recently updated their T&C's :(
Long story short, if you CAN get unbundled such as Orcons +, or Vodafones RED network, you'll always get best service.

wratterus
10-08-2009, 01:11 PM
:lol: Muppets, they just removed basically the only reason to go with them now. :yuck: