PDA

View Full Version : Best old time UK band?

Greg
07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I've just been listening to some old music, and wondered which of these three bands you like the best:

The Who
Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Or... Other

Grr... I tried to make a poll for this but something stuffed up.

Too bad, too sad... PressF1 craps out as usual.

Metla
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Can't stand the Beatles, Regularly play The Who and The Stones.

Poppa John
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry, none of those. My preference was Johhny Dankworth & Ted Heath, amongst similar others. PJ

Zippity
07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
OLD????? :( :( :(

Bloody kids today :D :D

Thomas01
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Beatles fine, Stones yuck. Don't know anything about the WHO - who are they?
None compare to Geraldo, Jack Parnell, Joe Loss, Victor Sylvestor (Ok he was a bit square!), Ted Heath and probably the best of the bunch the American whose name escapes me just now but is known for Chattanooga Choo Choo and lots more. Of course advancing age has effected my memory and my choice may seem odd - but at least it was music and their singers were a strange breed - not only could they actually sing but you could easily make out the words of the songs.
Ah Lita Rosa where are you now?

Sweep
07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
None of the three were old time bands in my opinion.

Sweep
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Beatles fine, Stones yuck. Don't know anything about the WHO - who are they?
None compare to Geraldo, Jack Parnell, Joe Loss, Victor Sylvestor (Ok he was a bit square!), Ted Heath and probably the best of the bunch the American whose name escapes me just now but is known for Chattanooga Choo Choo and lots more. Of course advancing age has effected my memory and my choice may seem odd - but at least it was music and their singers were a strange breed - not only could they actually sing but you could easily make out the words of the songs.
Ah Lita Rosa where are you now?

Glenn Miller for the Chattanooga Choo Choo I think.

I got out some Mantovani today.

And again not UK but Herb Alpert was good too.

Terry Porritt
07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Of course Sweep is quite right, those "bands??" can't be called old :)

Now these are a bit oldish... Ambrose and his Orchestra in 1932

I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plan (http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/ramb/Joh197.ram)

Or, Billy Cotton and his Band in 1931

Were You Sincere ? (http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/ramb/Joh019.ram)

gary67
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Definitely the Who followed by the Stones then maybe the Beatles if i'm bored

Phil B
07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Queen, Led Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Bowie(70s) Elton john(70s), The Jam, Status Quo, Black Sabbath, U2, Uriah Heep, Ska Reggae, The list goes on. I sometimes wish I could get in a tardis & go back to the 70s back to London & all that underground music

R2x1
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
The Piltsdown Men (Bubbles in the tar, Brontosaurus stomp) That old enough? ;)

Jock Strap and His Elastic Band (Mainly a support act)

Greg
08-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Queen, Led Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Bowie(70s) Elton john(70s), The Jam, Status Quo, Black Sabbath, U2, Uriah Heep, Ska Reggae, The list goes on. I sometimes wish I could get in a tardis & go back to the 70s back to London & all that underground music
Gotta agree with you. Except I don't recollect ever hearing Ska Reggae.

Didn't know that Uriah Heep were British. But I sure liked them when I was younger. Ken Hensley FTW!

SurferJoe46
08-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Jethro Dull?
Deep Purple?
Ken Colyer's Jazzmen?
The Vipers?
The Zombies?

As you can see - I like Brit Skiffle a bit.

I have a tall stack promo-released to KRLA radio station here in SoCal - of John Lennon's Silver Beatles w/Peter Best on drums - all 45's of the same song. I'm saving that for another day.

Phil B
08-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Gotta agree with you. Except I don't recollect ever hearing Ska Reggae.

Didn't know that Uriah Heep were British. But I sure liked them when I was younger. Ken Hensley FTW!

The Specials, Madness, Buster Bloodvessel & the likes. The music they made was labeled Ska

Uriah Heep were as far as I know poms. I remember seeing them at a local dive of my home town Crawley

I'm off to Harvey Normans now to see if they've got any $5000 laptops going for $50

Trev
08-08-2009, 09:10 AM
The Yardbirds, Freddy And The Dreamers, Cream, The Four Faces, Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Hollies, Bee Gees, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann, The Moody Blues, The Zoombies, The Troggs, The Kinks.
:)

Trev
08-08-2009, 10:24 AM
The Four Faces should read Small Faces :)

Richard
08-08-2009, 11:17 AM
All the above plus Chris Barber and his dixie jazz bands. Yay! :D

Thomas01
08-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Interesting - back to the 1970s gosh that was only yesterday - hardly going back.
Now going back means as somebody has already pointed out Ambrose and Billy Cotton. And how about Henry Halls guest night - I seem to remember he had his own orchestra.
Most of those mentioned in the above quote mean nothing to me, in fact I've never heard of most of them!
None can compare to Glenn Miller.
A big band is a big band - not a small set of noise makers just producing a din, and utterly indecipherable vocals.
Mind you for noise it took a lot to make more than Jack Parnell when he had his drum duets with his regular drummer.
Those two were great fun and could make the drums talk.
Still liked Lita Rosa better though.

gary67
08-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Are you prepared to wear flares again and I don't mean boot cut jeans since they were a pale imitation of the real thing, and some nice glam clothes with makeup aka Slade, Sweet T-Rex etc

Greg
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Are you prepared to wear flares again and I don't mean boot cut jeans since they were a pale imitation of the real thing, and some nice glam clothes with makeup aka Slade, Sweet T-Rex etcAh... Slade, T-Rex and Sweet. Completely forgot about those greats. [Edit... forgot to mention Rainbow and of course... Black Sabbath]

Oops Black Sab have been mentioned already

Cicero
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I was a Ivy Benson fan.

gary67
08-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Ah... Slade, T-Rex and Sweet. Completely forgot about those greats. [Edit... forgot to mention Rainbow and of course... Black Sabbath]

Oops Black Sab have been mentioned already

I hadn't forgotten them at all just ran out of time and had to go out. What about Steppenwolf, Judas Priest, Saxon and of course Thin Lizzy?

mikebartnz
08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Pink Floyd

Terry Porritt
08-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I was a Ivy Benson fan.

This for you Cic, to bring back memories of your childhood..........

Ivy Benson and her all Girls' Band I Cover The Water Front (http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/ramb/Joh181.ram) :clap (1947)

Edit: By golly that was a hard winter that year, we had the bread and milk delivered by horse drawn sleds, with the horses wearing felt boots, and the pipes kept freezing.

R2x1
09-08-2009, 12:29 AM
She got a speeding ticket for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUW-hXt8nA).

Phil B
09-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Sounds to me like some of the old fellas must be about 100 with things they remember. The 70's was a good decade for music, alcohol & a generallly carefree life for me. That's the decade when I did the most stupid things. Things you'd get hanged for now
Now it's the opposite, most of the music's rubbish, I hardly drink anything alcoholic, but I still try not to care about too much

How about the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, Scaffold, Faces, Dr Feelgood, Roxy Music

Greg
09-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Roxy and Pink Floyd... They sure shoulda been in my original line-up.

I've got Pink Floyd's only video'd concert of Dark Side of the Moon on DVD. Sure, it's missing Roger Waters, but David Gilmour is better on both guitar and vocals. It's awesome!

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 03:52 AM
I've got Pink Floyd's only video'd concert of Dark Side of the Moon on DVD. Sure, it's missing Roger Waters, but David Gilmour is better on both guitar and vocals. It's awesome!
I reckon David Gilmour is the best.

rob_on_guitar
09-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Best UK band ever: Iron maiden.

Cicero
09-08-2009, 09:08 AM
This for you Cic, to bring back memories of your childhood..........

Ivy Benson and her all Girls' Band I Cover The Water Front (http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/ramb/Joh181.ram) :clap (1947)

Edit: By golly that was a hard winter that year, we had the bread and milk delivered by horse drawn sleds, with the horses wearing felt boots, and the pipes kept freezing.

Waited 5 mins for that,no luck,my favurote was Auf weida Sein sweetheart.
Those were to days, she was at Butlins when I was,at 16 I was too young to take advantage of her,ah well.......

Trev
09-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Dave Clark 5, Lovin Spoonful, Spencer Davis Group.
:)

gary67
09-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Best UK band ever: Iron maiden.

Well know your talking serious stuff they are exceptionally good