PDA

View Full Version : The Saga Continues! Our new Computer! Advice Pls

mark1978
07-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry Guys, its us again; were so sorry but we need your advice AGAIN! And the saga continues! :waughh:

Ok, so the IFocus quote (P320i) you guys recommended was sent to us in an email (the quote)
It states that they are going to put another $65 on top of it because of labour service, also they have changed the RAM and the brand of the hard drive, so the total amount it comes to now is almost $600 and that is just too expensive for us. :eek: We have sent them twice an email to clarify this but no reply has yet been sent.

Then we were browsing the net yesterday and found a site called ETC computers, they have an Intel Dual Core Upgrade Box of $449 +GST and it has the following:
Intel Dual Core ES5300 2.6 Ghz 800FSB. The Motherboard is ECS G31T-M7 MATX Intel G31+ ICH7 MB
HDD is Samsung 160GB 7200rpm SATA 2 8MB HDD
Ram is Silicon Power DDR2-800 2GB
DVD Writer is HP 20X SATA DVD-writer Boxed
Can you tell us if this is a good deal?

So webpage for the Ifocus P320i:
http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Computer+Systems/iFocus+P320i.html

And the ETC computers deal is on:
http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=58

Thanks for being so helpfull you guys!!

Mark & Cherie

Blam
07-08-2009, 08:37 AM
See if you can swap the RAM for something better such as Corsair or Transcend at least.

I would avoid ECS. They make the crappiest motherboards.

How about this?(untick XP, Monitor and KB+mouse)
http://qmb.co.nz/pk.aspx?372&c=Package

See if you can ask them to swap the CPU for a Athlon X2 or even a phenom.

Blam

wratterus
07-08-2009, 08:45 AM
You don't just want to avoid ECS, the moment you hear the name mentioned you want to cover your ears and bolt in the other direction. Changing the mobo/cpu to AMD would be a good move, shave off some $$$. The Athlon X2 6000+ or 6400+ are fine for less-intensive stuff.

mark1978
07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Ok, we made a desicion!

http://qmb.co.nz/pk.aspx?260&c=Package

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz Processor
Asus P5KPL-AM/Plus
Transcend 2GB DDR2-800, 240-Pin, CL5, 16 Chips with lifttime warranty
Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB
Samsung SH-S223F/S223B
Trendy 3381 Case 420W PSU

Thats it.... Were done, WE HAVE DECIDED!!! No turning back! Thanks for all your help!!!!!! Much appreciated!!!!
Best and only PC Forum in NZ!

Mark & Cherie

wratterus
07-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Good choice. :thumbs:

mark1978
07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks!! :D

Strommer
07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Good choice. :thumbs:

Yep. Good one.

Mark, when do you pick it up?

Blam
07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Every is great-other than the PSU..

mark1978
07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Steve_L
On the 24th of August were making a trip to Auckland for the day, only have to put down a small deposit. Guys were very friendly

pctek
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
They always are when selling.
BUt try them on warranty returns, I personally wouldn't use QMB.

*** NEW RATINGS SYSTEM ***
***** (5 stars):

These stores are absolutely fantastic. They VERY RARELY make problems - if ever. Most of them are somehow involved on the forums and remedy problems really quickly. RMA services are fantastic, often giving you a replacement on the spot.

**** (4 stars):

These stores are highly recommended. They Rarely make problems. Some of them may be involved on the forums and generally remedy problems in a timely manner. RMA services are generally good, sometimes giving you a replacement on the spot.

*** (3 stars):

These stores generally do the job, they are "average". They can be problematic, but are generally not. RMA services are average, you usually have to wait several weeks for a replacement, rarely getting a replacement on the spot.

** (2 stars):

These stores are generally unrecommended. They are at times problematic when it comes to RMA services taking very long. It is relatively rare for these stores, but they sometimes try to sell off 2nd hand goods as new. *** WARNING *** - These stores are relatively susceptible to an economic recession such as the one we are currently in as they generally rely on a high volume low profit system. There is a chance that they may shut down and that you might lose your money! Read up on C1 ShoppingMall for more info: http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/348020/?s=

* (1 star):

These stores are VERY poor. Buying from these stores is just asking for trouble. RMA services are very poor and generally take extremely long or "they don't know ya" after you've handed your money over. It is not unusual for them to attempt to sell you 2nd hand items or returns as new. On relatively rare occasions these stores may sell fake goods. E.g. hacked USB drives.
*** WARNING *** - These stores are most susceptible to an economic recession such as the one we are currently in as they generally rely on a high volume low profit system. There is a chance that they may shut down and that you might lose your money! Read up on C1 ShoppingMall for more info: http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/348020/?s=

*** RATINGS *** (by quality of store)

***** (5 stars)

Computer Lounge (www.computerlounge.co.nz) *Free Shipping*

****1/2 (4.5 stars)

Playtech (www.playtech.co.nz)
Gameplanet Store (www.gpstore.co.nz) *Free Shipping over $50*
Ascent Technology (www.ascent.co.nz) *Free Shipping*

**** (4 stars)

Paradigm Pcs (www.pp.co.nz) *Free Delivery*
Ifocus (www.Ifocus.co.nz) *Free Shipping over $100*

***1/2 (3.5 stars)

QMB Computers (www.qmb.co.nz)
Mytoys (www.Mytoys.co.nz)

Stick with the top 3.

hueybot3000
08-08-2009, 12:02 AM
They always are when selling.
BUt try them on warranty returns, I personally wouldn't use QMB.

Is that because youd use yourself rather than some company at the other end of the country?

Blam
08-08-2009, 12:04 AM
:p

QMB isn't too shabby. You certainly pay a premium for better shops such as CL or Playtech..and I think Mark is on a tight budget here so..

Blam
08-08-2009, 12:06 AM
:p

QMB isn't too shabby. You certainly pay a premium for better shops such as CL or Playtech..and I think Mark is on a tight budget here so..

hueybot3000
08-08-2009, 12:08 AM
tryin to boost the post count there blam?

I agree though, on a budget and if warranty turns to custard (which I doubt youl need, and even then I doubt itl be a problem) you can always RMA yourself

Go for it!

Blam
08-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Sorry.

QOS is still being tweaked...:p

mark1978
08-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks Guys! Yes we are on such a tight budget, we don't think we did to bad with our new purchase, we have read that Thread about the star rating but wasn't that thread made in 2007??
Anyway, thank you guys a lot....again!

Blam
08-08-2009, 08:27 AM
That thread is frequently updated, even now;)

stormdragon
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
QMB are fine, I've put a lot of business though them and never had any problems returning faulty items to either of their stores.

I would have gone with a better case and psu though.

pctek
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Is that because youd use yourself r

It's because when I lived in Auckland I had been there a few times and observed first hand the arguments over warranty returns.
Then a few people I know who still live there, told me much the same thing.
And obviously others too - going by GPs report on them.

If I was to use a shop - I'd use Computer Lounge. And there has been the odd occasion when I have, if my suppliers haven't had the item I was trying to get.