PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 RTM

wainuitech
07-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Anyone who has access to Technet / MSDN -- Windows 7 RTM is available to download.

Sizes;

ultimate

86 = 2385.99MB
64 = 3075.30MB

Enterprise

86 = 2289.20MB
64 = 2976.62MB

somebody
07-08-2009, 08:08 AM
What's the server load like today (compared to say, when people were frantically downloading RC)?

wainuitech
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Errrr :sleep Picture says a thousand words (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Server1249589696.jpg)Thats been going for about 15 minutes

somebody
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Damn.

On another note: Tertiary students at institutions (studying at least one paper/subject in a department which is part of the MSDNAA programme) should be able to get access to a free copy of Windows 7 Professional soon. Although the ISO and keys are released today (at the same time as other MSDN users), administrators will need to manually download the image and distribute the licence keys to students - therefore actual availability will vary from institution to institution.

Licence keys on the ELMS system won't be ready until the 15th August, so some universities will probably wait until then before making W7 available to students.

wainuitech
07-08-2009, 08:55 AM
My Normal download speed from Technet, on a "normal" day is between 250-350KB/Sec with the occasional higher burst - so MS servers are taking a hammering (again) currently its up and down 30-50KB.

Could be a longgggg day :lol: 4% in 1 hour :banana

somebody
07-08-2009, 08:59 AM
My Normal download speed from Technet, on a "normal" day is between 250-350KB/Sec with the occasional higher burst - so MS servers are taking a hammering (again) currently its up and down 30-50KB.

Could be a longgggg day :lol: 4% in 1 hour :banana

Is it coming off Akamai or a similar CDN?

wainuitech
07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Is it coming off Akamai or a similar CDN?

No Idea ?? How do I find that out ??

I just log into Technet , find what I want, get the keys and download it.

Same thing happened with the RC -- Slow as.

Never mind I'm not in any hurry, just let it run --- got real work to do anyway.

R2x1
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Isn't Win 7 supposed to be faster? Seems a bit slow off the mark so far ;)

wainuitech
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Isn't Win 7 supposed to be faster? Seems a bit slow off the mark so far ;):lol: Its NOT Windows 7 thats slow read this (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351306,00.asp)
This means that final code of Windows 7 is now available to a much larger audience--in the hundred thousands I can almost hear MS servers straining under the Load :D

somebody
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
No Idea ?? How do I find that out ??

I just log into Technet , find what I want, get the keys and download it.

Same thing happened with the RC -- Slow as.

Never mind I'm not in any hurry, just let it run --- got real work to do anyway.

I'm not too sure what system they use now, as my MSDN subscription expired last year and I never renewed it. Back then, the download manager they force you to use would show something like "Downloading file: http://blahblahblah.akamai.net/folder1/folder2/blah/blahblahblah.iso". I understand that Akamai have CDN servers here in NZ, peering with some of the major ISPs, so that they can provide faster download speeds than if you were grabbing the file off a server in the US.

Edit: coming to think of it, if you run "netstat" in a command prompt it might show whether there are connections to an akamai server (akamai.net or akamai.com - I don't remember which it was).

GameJunkie
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one
:D

Sherman
07-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not too sure what system they use now, as my MSDN subscription expired last year and I never renewed it. Back then, the download manager they force you to use would show something like "Downloading file: http://blahblahblah.akamai.net/folder1/folder2/blah/blahblahblah.iso". I understand that Akamai have CDN servers here in NZ, peering with some of the major ISPs, so that they can provide faster download speeds than if you were grabbing the file off a server in the US.

Edit: coming to think of it, if you run "netstat" in a command prompt it might show whether there are connections to an akamai server (akamai.net or akamai.com - I don't remember which it was).

I do know that the public release of the RC came from Akamai. Heck, MS even used the Akamai download manager!!

wainuitech
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Is it coming off Akamai or a similar CDN? Okay - Started again Tried on a workshop PC and it wanted to load in Akamai.

Now restarted and coming through more like it - 250 -300KB/Sec :thumbs:

somebody
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Okay - Started again Tried on a workshop PC and it wanted to load in Akamai.

Now restarted and coming through more like it - 250 -300KB/Sec :thumbs:

Great!

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on it ;)

Nermal
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Came down through Akamai at ~700 KB/s on an ADSL1 connection at first; downloaded about 1 GB at that speed. It then dropped to about 50 KB/s for 4 hours, before slowly rising to finish off at about 150 KB/s. It took about 5 hours all up to download the 3 GB.

My guess: The first GB or so was cached on Akamai's local server when I started downloading, then I hit the bottleneck after that. As more users completed the download, the speeds slowly increased.

SolMiester
07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
downloading @ 427 KB\Sec.....

Blam
08-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Not too shabby....ever hit your line speed on the Akamai servers before?

wainuitech
08-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Well just installed it on a Workshop clunker PC.

Impressed - 15 minutes to install to a working desktop.

One "Interesting" thing I also found - I had downloaded the Ultimate version - got product keys etc, thought I'd put the Professional version on to do some testing -- :groan: -NOPE- professional key wouldn't work on the Ultimate Download.
Came up wrong product key for the SKU you have.
The ultimate key worked.

If this is the case then it may not be like Vista where you enter in the key for the SKU you have. Didn't have to put in the product key till right near finishing.

Guess its download the Pro version now to test that.

Gotta love this Testing to find the "new" tricks. :D

Sherman
08-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Well just installed it on a Workshop clunker PC.

Impressed - 15 minutes to install to a working desktop.

One "Interesting" thing I also found - I had downloaded the Ultimate version - got product keys etc, thought I'd put the Professional version on to do some testing -- :groan: -NOPE- professional key wouldn't work on the Ultimate Download.
Came up wrong product key for the SKU you have.
The ultimate key worked.

If this is the case then it may not be like Vista where you enter in the key for the SKU you have. Didn't have to put in the product key till right near finishing.

Guess its download the Pro version now to test that.

Gotta love this Testing to find the "new" tricks. :D

Just saw this (http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=630) over at Anandtech. Might save you another download if their solution to the "issue" works.

wainuitech
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Sherman - that artical confirms it - I was already at 90% approx, so no point in stopping it. But the code is correct - the professional one shows as:

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Agent_24
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Already downloaded a leaked version from Bittorrent couple of days ago. Verified against official MD5 as the correct ISO.

Unfortunately Comodo causes random 0x0000124 BSOD so have to run AVG for now

The performance is not much faster than Vista SP2, but they did some tweaks to Aero to make it appear faster. XP still beats both of them.

I still don't like the taskbar, don't need no 30-day trial to tell me that.

Probably I will buy Vista instead because at least that has a sensible design. And after that, well...

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Really? I love the taskbar, and I installed a clean Vista and Win7 side-by-side on 3 different machines over the last month, Win7 was snappier, boot faster, used less RAM / CPU while idling and generally outperformed Vista in every way possible :D