PDA

View Full Version : Do you give way or do yo not?

Nomad
06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
If I turn left and a car ahead wants to make their right, should I give way or should I stand in the middle and give way? Cos many times the car behind me who is going straight will just swerve across and barge through.

Erayd
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
You're not allowed to enter an intersection until there is a suitable exit available - so *technically* you're not allowed to wait in the middle. Realistically, you need to make a judgment based on the specific intersection you're talking about.

Sweep
06-08-2009, 08:41 PM
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/

HTH

PaulD
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
You're not allowed to enter an intersection until there is a suitable exit available - so *technically* you're not allowed to wait in the middle. Realistically, you need to make a judgment based on the specific intersection you're talking about.

I think Nomad was talking about stopping in a position that both gives the right turning car right of way and blocks the through traffic behind from barging past ie not keeping to the left.

If you are planning ahead you can often achieve the same thing by just slowing before the turn to give the right turning car time to turn.

Metla
06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I need to see a sketch.

gary67
06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I think Nomad was talking about stopping in a position that both gives the right turning car right of way and blocks the through traffic behind from barging past ie not keeping to the left.

If you are planning ahead you can often achieve the same thing by just slowing before the turn to give the right turning car time to turn.

I think this is what you should be doing

R2x1
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
No, try THIS

Sweep
07-08-2009, 01:47 AM
I hope Nomad knows that in New Zealand we keep as far as possible to the left as practical.

When turning left you give way to all traffic on the right and all oncoming traffic turning right. This at an uncontrolled intersection with no signs or traffic lights.

If a vehicle is following Nomad and Nomad is turning left and a following vehicle runs into a right turning ( rear end collision ) passing Nomad in the process then it would not be Nomad at fault.

Could Nomad please PM me before driving through Tokoroa and I will make a note to stay off the road that day.

Nomad
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
If a vehicle is following Nomad and Nomad is turning left and a following vehicle runs into a right turning ( rear end collision ) passing Nomad in the process then it would not be Nomad at fault.

Exactly that. Just a block from my place. I've seen a few motorcyclist flattened cos the car behind wanted to straight barges through.

Me being the car who wants to make a left, I always debate with myself, I always indicate left and slow down but then again the car ahead of me tend to worry is that car behind me gonna run into them. So sometimes even if indicate left early and slow down they may be hesitant. Car behind me barges via and I am stuck there waiting, and then I think ah .. ok may I just on this occasion I just ok due to the circumstance.

Richard
07-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I think we are the only country having this stupid rule. We used to have what was called the 'Right Hand Rule' which stated that you must give way to all traffic when turning right, and at intersections give way to all traffic coming from your right. Those of a certain age will remember this rule, and how it worked perfectly well, with no disagreement. We changed to the stupid rule we have now, because Australia was going to change, but they saw the error of their ways, and retained the old RH rule. We didn't, and now have governments pleading that changing back is in the 'too hard' basket. :thumbs:

fnphoto
07-08-2009, 08:54 AM
There was some discussion in parliament a few months back to revert this stupid law, does anybody know of any progress yet?

Sweep
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
There was some discussion in parliament a few months back to revert this stupid law, does anybody know of any progress yet?

Looks like the people actively campaining for a change are the Auto Association.

http://www.aa.co.nz/aadirections/driver/Pages/The-Right-Hand-Rule.aspx

R2x1
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I hope Nomad knows that in New Zealand we keep as far as possible to the left as practical.

When turning left you give way to all traffic on the right and all oncoming traffic turning right. This at an uncontrolled intersection with no signs or traffic lights.
. . .
Been hitting the Tui?
In practice, the observed behaviour is "Drive as close to the center line as possible. If 4wd, over the line is traditional.
At intersections, wait until a shiny car appears and dart in front of it. They usually give way. If 4wd treat intersections like a paddock with no-one else in it. No point being bigger if it does not confer an advantage.
It is okay to keep left if that enables you to transfer puddles to the pedestrians, or to show cyclists their position in the pecking order. Lurking on the left immediately before turning right (unsignalled) enables you to wake up unwary drivers in following vehicles."
Keeping other drivers alert is a positive safety contribution, also ensures continuity of work for panel shops.

Trev
07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
If I turn left and a car ahead wants to make their right, should I give way or should I stand in the middle and give way? Cos many times the car behind me who is going straight will just swerve across and barge through.
Quite a confusing question. Can you explain it in english that we can understand. You mean at an intersection. By the car ahead do you mean going the same way as you or coming from the opposite direction.
:)

Terry Porritt
07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Looks like the people actively campaining for a change are the Auto Association.

http://www.aa.co.nz/aadirections/driver/Pages/The-Right-Hand-Rule.aspx

It's even more hilarious when, in the examples shown in Sweeps AA site, the intersection is an uncontrolled one, and the green car turning right has precedence over the blue car wishing also to turn right.

We have a situation like this down our road, with the added hazard of the uncontrolled intersection being on a blind bend, so that the blue car cannot see the red car approaching.

somebody
07-08-2009, 12:01 PM
This is my interpretation of what Nomad is asking (attached).

In this case, I think the rule is that if the car behind you can get past, and is about to go around you immediately, then you shouldn't give way. If you are blocking the car behind you, then you should give way.

Metla
07-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Going from that picture, hell yes give way, if the car behind you then carries on past you then proceed.

But its not up to you to try and pen in the car behind, or assume what its going to do.

PaulD
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
In some places like South Africa instead of roundabouts or traffic lights they have Stop signs on each entry to the intersection and the rule is that you go in order of arrival. How do you think that would work with the typical inconsiderate Kiwi driver?

Here the right hand rule applies so if there's 4 cars stopped, everything seizes up until 1 is brave enough to go for it.

Nomad
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
This is my interpretation of what Nomad is asking (attached).

In this case, I think the rule is that if the car behind you can get past, and is about to go around you immediately, then you shouldn't give way. If you are blocking the car behind you, then you should give way.

Exactly that. Hey is that that street corner down my street :D

After work, after coming home and watching a bit of the Simpsons I have seen least a few occasions when a motorcyclist has been flattened on the road and people were afraid to move him until the ambulance came. One time involved a bus driver. I think I got a picture in camera. Lasted 2hr. You noticed that bus drivers sometime tailgate you ;) particularly a night perhaps with a empty bus.