PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 pst file

DavidW
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I have just had to reinstall windows XP professional. I have got Outlook going and I want to replace my pst file with the old one. I can't find them! Search doesn't find them and I can't remember where they are. Can some kind person tell me where outlook stores its pst file David

SolMiester
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Under username of documents and settings.....go to tools and click show hidden files, then application data>microsoft>outlook....
The other set of files is under local settings>microsoft etc....under username of doc's and settings

CYaBro
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I have just had to reinstall windows XP professional. I have got Outlook going and I want to replace my pst file with the old one. I can't find them! Search doesn't find them and I can't remember where they are. Can some kind person tell me where outlook stores its pst file David

Did you do a fresh/clean install or a repair install?
A fresh/clean install wipes all the data on the HDD while a repair install keeps all data intact but replaces all windows system files.

DavidW
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I saved all the old files & data. I have now located the new pst file. I have clicked the 'show hidden files' and 'show system files' but search still won't find pst files.

ronyville
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
You wont find your old pst files if you have reinstalled Windows. Unless you backed it up before reinstalling Windows. Another way would be running a data recovery software to recover older pst file... if its recoverable anymore.

ronyville
06-08-2009, 06:36 PM
The path for the pst file under XP is normally..

c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook

"local settings" is hidden you will have to tick the option to show hidden files.

DavidW
06-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Is there another way to search for the old pst file It doesn't seem to be in outlook at :\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook. The old disk was backed up prior to re installation as 'Old Data' so everything is there somewhere. Windows search just won't turn up any pst file

wainuitech
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Click start / Search in the search window type in *.pst Scroll down the window a little, and tick search hidden files and folders (words to that effect), make sure you select the drive(s) you want to search Hit search.

That will look for all .pst files. Assuming you find your old one in the results - right click it / Copy to the desktop, or other safe location.

DavidW
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Found it! Thanks everyone. Wainuitech got it with the scrolling down in the search window and the tick in search hidden files. Easy if you know how Thanks again David