PDA

View Full Version : SeaTools

bk T
06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
I've got a 80GB Seagate HDD which (I suspect) has developed some problem: randomly it fails to load Windows and sometimes Windows loaded OK but system just freezes.

Run SeaTools and it fails straight away. Took out the HDD, plug it into another PC, run SeaTools again and it passed all the tests.

What's happening?

wratterus
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds like the drive's a bit stuffed alright.

Did Seatools fail with bad sectors, or did the whole test just stop running?

bk T
06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Sounds like the drive's a bit stuffed alright.

Did Seatools fail with bad sectors, or did the whole test just stop running?

I started the
'smart check' - failed
'short drive self test - failed
'long drive self tets - failed.

but when tested on another PC it passes all the test including long generic test.

wratterus
06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
What about putting another drive in the PC you're having problems with and testing it? See if there's anything weird happening. You could also try a different IDE (or is it SATA?) channel/port and see if that makes a difference.

bk T
06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
What about putting another drive in the PC you're having problems with and testing it? See if there's anything weird happening. You could also try a different IDE (or is it SATA?) channel/port and see if that makes a difference.

It's a SATA drive. Plugged it to another SATA header, run SeaTools again and it failed the smart self test and short drive self test but passed the short generic test.

nofam
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Have you tried it on same PC/same SATA header with a new SATA cable?

bk T
06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Have you tried it on same PC/same SATA header with a new SATA cable?

Have changed another new sata cable and header with same results,

wratterus
06-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I would call Seagate support and ask if you have enough cause to send it back under warranty. No need to tell them about testing it in another PC. ;)

The drive will still be under warranty I assume? You can check it here (http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp) if you want.

New Zealand
0800 443 988

1:00 P.M. to 10:30 P.M.
Monday - Friday
New Zealand Standard Time (GMT +12)

bk T
06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I would call Seagate support and ask if you have enough cause to send it back under warranty. No need to tell them about testing it in another PC. ;)

The drive will still be under warranty I assume? You can check it here (http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp) if you want.

New Zealand
0800 443 988

1:00 P.M. to 10:30 P.M.
Monday - Friday
New Zealand Standard Time (GMT +12)

Have checked and it is still under warranty.

I'm more interested in knowing whether it's the HDD or the Motherboard that is causing the random problem I mentioned earlier.

wratterus
06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Could you try another drive in that PC? Don't need to start into windows, just run a test on the drive and see if it passes OK. My thought would be it isn't the motherboard, never come across a mobo doing things like this, but there is a first time for everything.:badpc:

Do you have a SATA drive lying around with nothing on it? You could do a fresh install on that and see if the problems persist.

bk T
06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Could you try another drive in that PC? Don't need to start into windows, just run a test on the drive and see if it passes OK. My thought would be it isn't the motherboard, never come across a mobo doing things like this, but there is a first time for everything.:badpc:

Do you have a SATA drive lying around with nothing on it? You could do a fresh install on that and see if the problems persist.

No. don't have a spare drive around. :(

wratterus
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
OK, that's a shame cause it would be very useful for narrowing down the problem.

Guess you'll just have to have a think and decide on the next step.

Agent_24
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
If the drive only fails tests in one PC then that PC has a fault, NOT the drive.

Why are you running the generic test if you are using Seatools on a Seagate drive?

I would be trying memtest on the PC in question.