PDA

View Full Version : Is memtest86 the be all/end all?

sammo450
05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Memtest says it's fine, so it is. Is this accurate, or is there a reasonable chance it didn't see something? I have had two PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA BSODs in the past two days, and I found this in eventvwr: The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system. What is 'platform' firmware?

Jen
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Under which OS are you getting the BSOD? Does this only happen when the computer comes out of hibernation? Have you installed any new drivers/hardware recently?

Blam
05-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Memtest has never failed me. How many passes did you run it for?

sammo450
05-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Win 7, only seen it once, not sure when it occured(in relation to power cycles), there was a modem, which has since been uninstalled.

Just one I think.

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Generally speaking that error can mean two things - hardware or a system/ software fault.

As described by MS
This Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

For vista / W7 Click start type in cmd when it shows, right click / run as administrator - type in chkdsk C:/f Y to accept to run on next reboot - reboot PC and allow it to run through.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Looks like that error message means update the BIOS. And it looks like that error is also common with the RC version of Win7

Agent_24
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Memtest is not perfect but it's very good. If you ran Memtest for say 48-hours and your PC is still alive after that, then I would say with 99.99% certainty your RAM is OK

But in your case what Speedy said makes more sense, that it's a BIOS or driver issue.

beama
06-08-2009, 06:01 AM
There is another memtester "goldmem" But I tend agree with has prevoiusly been said about win 7 rc2. remember win 7 is still a release canidate

pctek
06-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Looks like that error message means update the BIOS. 7

As in Wainuitechs post:
a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

Memtest is accurate.
However I prefer to use MS RAM Diagnostic. It's faster.

But if Memtest passed it, then forget RAM, start with the chkdsk and see how you get on.

sammo450
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't think Chkdsk found any problems. Today I got a BAD_POOL_HEADER, then when I rebooted I got a dxgkrnl.sys BSOD. Could they all be pointing at a particular issue?

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Looks like it belongs to DirectX. Wait till you install the final version

sammo450
08-08-2009, 12:46 AM
OK then. How long does the RTM last?

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2009, 01:05 AM
The RTM is the final version, it will last forever if you buy / activate it. Its the beta / RC versions that run out

sammo450
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Today I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Apparently this is definitely a driver issue. Is there any way of finding out which one is faulting?

Blam
08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Event Log.

Run>eventvwr

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Did you test the memory for errors? Update the BIOS as well, if its not the latest one. Then reconfigure the settings then save them

mikebartnz
09-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Did you test the memory for errors? Update the BIOS as well, if its not the latest one. Then reconfigure the settings then save them
I don't recommend updating the BIOS unless you truly know it is going to fix a problem and you are confident in doing it.

sammo450
10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I think I already have the latest BIOS version, and I know the dangers(tried updating through Windows once). I ran Memtest, if that is what you mean. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL yesterday.

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't recommend updating the BIOS unless you truly know it is going to fix a problem and you are confident in doing it.

Some sites say updating the BIOS will fix the errors he's seeing. So, its not a matter of whether youre confident or not. Update or keep crashing

And youre NOT meant to update a BIOS in windows, its the lazy way of doing it. If the mobo is the one in your sig, its up to 1705

Agent_24
10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Updating BIOS is very easy, I do it all the time. If you do it properly risk is minimal. Just follow the instructions correctly.

But I NEVER use windows flash utilities.

I don't know why people say this, either. Even if there's no indication it will fix the problem I do it anyway to see what happens.

By all means apply common sense though. eg: If the PC is randomly locking up a BIOS update would NOT be a good idea. It might lock up halfway through.

Always fix stability problems first

Of course, old BIOS can cause stability problems too. If you need to update your BIOS because the old one is unstable then find out what part of it causes the instability and address that. eg: it may have incompatibility with your video card, so swap that before you update.

Another good reason to only buy boards with socketed EEPROMs and have someone with a programmer handy :)

pctek
10-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't know why people say this, either. Even if there's no indication it will fix the problem I do it anyway to see what happens.

Because I've seen people do it and its caused problems. Its a bit like drivers, a newer one isn't always a guarantee of improvement.

Rare to have a stuff up but Rule 1: Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Its in my category of people who fix everything by a reinstall of WIndows....

sammo450
10-08-2009, 02:11 PM
OK I think I have 1704 at the moment, so I'll put 1705 on a USB drive and get that updated. The crashes only happen in Windows.

Agent_24
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Because I've seen people do it and its caused problems. Its a bit like drivers, a newer one isn't always a guarantee of improvement.

I agree but you can't always "truely know" that it will or will not fix the problem. Sometimes you just have to try it and see....

CYaBro
10-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Well there must be something strange in our power up here in the north :p
If I'm setting up a new or second hand machine I always make sure the BIOS is the latest and also drivers for all hardware.
I have never, in my 15 years or so of doing this, had any problems by having the latest BIOS or drivers.
I don't update the BIOS or drivers on every machine that comes into the workshop but if the problem they are having could be caused by one then I will do it even if it doesn't fix the problem.
I have found that laptop BIOS updates are quite important to do even if the laptop appears to be running fine. (More so than a desktop machine)
This is because the manufacturer sometimes tweaks or adjusts power settings that may have caused overheating in certain circumstances.

On the OP topic I have found that sometimes Memtest hasn't picked up a memory fault but Prime95 has.

sammo450
11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Yesterday while running Flight sim X I got a CACHE_MANAGER bsod. The msdn page seemed to say it means my system ran out of RAM.

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2009, 12:52 PM
If all of this is happening on Win7, its probably telling you something, it doesnt like it. Go back to a previous version, see if it does the same thing

sammo450
11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
A previous version of 7?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2009, 12:57 PM
No windows Vista or XP. Last time you updated the BIOS, did you re-set it back to the defaults, then reconfigure the settings?

sammo450
11-08-2009, 12:59 PM
No, just update and adjust as necessary.

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Is this happening on the mobo in your sig, or another system?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
And where did Win7 come from?? Is it the RC version from the MS site, or is it from somewhere else?

gary67
11-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Pretty sure Sammo got it from another F1 member and that it is the RC can't be 100% sure but think that's where it came from

sammo450
12-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Correct, BobDoe I think. And yes, it is the Asus. Could a faulty northbridge be causing these crashes? I have problems with the video card not running in the 16x slots, and if these crashes are RAM related, it could be the northbridge not working properly.

sammo450
13-08-2009, 10:12 AM
BIOS updated, so far so good.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Well there you go, it took 29 posts for you to update the BIOS. Which is what I said in the 6th post :lol:

wratterus
13-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Well there you go, it took 29 posts for you to update the BIOS. Which is what I said in the 6th post :lol:

:thumbs:

If it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice.

sammo450
13-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I'll give it two weeks, and if no BSODs, I'll consider it fixed.