PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Excessively High Usage

Muffin11
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. My daughter purchased a new laptop (old one died) and is away at University. Had been using a Broadband stick thing from Vodafone, but on the new laptop she has run up astronomical bills. Vodafone cannot tell me why but suggested there must be a programme running in the background. We have turned off Windows Auto updates and she has uninstalled her Anti-Virus programme Trend Micro. Any suggestions as what to do next please? She assures me she is not watching You Tube or anything like that. Her broadband usage was fine until the new laptop.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Not a good idea removing the virus scanner. You need something at least to scan for malware etc. If the laptop is with you, get hijackthis below, install it / run it. Click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here

Get malwarebytes below as well, update it then scan. See what that picks up.

Blam
05-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Does she have any sort of P2P program running in the background?

Nomad
05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
First of all I would get a plan if it exist that puts a cap a the amount you spend so the broadband gets slowed down. If not consider another provider.

Laptops will have wireless. Are other people stealing her internet access - flatmates - neighbours etc......

If need be I may consider ADSL at least from some providers they allow you to fix the amount you wanna pay then it slows your speed down. ADSL should be available at places with a telephone jack. And you mention university and that means a major city.

Haven't you compared the cost, the stick is very expensive, doesn't that run via the cellular towers? Vodafone does have a ADSL service that is much more affordable. It is not like she will be using the internet in the car and in library right? But many university these days have network ports that you can plug in and it is probably free too because you may use your student login name as you have already paid for the IT fees.

Blam
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
First of all I would get a plan if it exist that puts a cap a the amount you spend so the broadband gets slowed down. If not consider another provider.

Laptops will have wireless. Are other people stealing her internet access - flatmates - neighbours etc......

The BB sticks plug in via USB and only the computer that is directly connected to it physically can access the internet unless the users willingly shares it on an Adhoc network.

agatornz
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
how do you tell if others are stealing your signal / interent - given our last convo on this?

Blam
05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
how do you tell if others are stealing your signal / interent - given our last convo on this?

What you should be asking instead is how you can secure your network!

1. Encryption. WPA Personal At least, will a very strong key

2. Turn off router when not in use. Some routers allow you to set a certain time where internet access is off-use that

3. Hide SSID and Mac filtering. These two are very easy to bypass, but if its just a teen trying to hack into it then it'll frustrate them a little bit more...:p

And an answer to your original question, signs that people are using your internet:

1. Slower browsing speeds that normal and higher bandwdith usage than what you would use

2. In the routers config panel another random MAC address/IP address popus up out of nowhere

Blam

agatornz
05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
ah;-) but that is what i was asking, given that my network is secure, however the friend that me that very question would like to catch the swine who has been using their prior to them securing it...

lance4k
05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
get her to install her antivirus again then use the UPDATE feature to update it over the internet, then tell her to do a FULL scan of her computer. If there are no viruses then it's not a virus.
Now she may have SPYWARE which the antivirus may not have picked up, so tell her to go to the following link and download and install and run this(it's FREE):

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol

Then scan her computer for spyware.

If it is a new computer it could HAVE been windows update downloading a service pack and other patches. Don't turn OFF windows update though, just go to Control Panel, SEcurity Center, then click Automatic updates, then choose "NOTIFY ME BUT DON'T AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL THEM".
This will mean she can see how Big the downloads from windows update are.

Now if she is still getting high usage then maybe she is on the low usage vodafone plan. Which plan is she on from here:

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-data/3g-broadband-plans.jsp

And can you tell her to login to her account and see how much data she is using, then post this data usage here with the dates if possible so i can take a look at it.

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. My daughter purchased a new laptop (old one died) and is away at University. Had been using a Broadband stick thing from Vodafone, but on the new laptop she has run up astronomical bills. Vodafone cannot tell me why but suggested there must be a programme running in the background. We have turned off Windows Auto updates and she has uninstalled her Anti-Virus programme Trend Micro. Any suggestions as what to do next please? She assures me she is not watching You Tube or anything like that. Her broadband usage was fine until the new laptop.

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 09:06 PM
If its only the first month the bill has been high - you also have to remember with any New Laptop or PC ( esp name brands) they will be well out of date - and they all usually do massive updates of both Antivirus and Windows updates. This all adds to the normal traffic.

limepile
05-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought Vodaphone offered a prepay service via the stick thing, around $10 for 100mb a month (about 1/4 hours use in my house ).

Muffin11
05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for everyones replies. If you could just bear with me and try to post in basic computer speak. I am in Thames and she is in Dunedin, however, her hall of residence building does not have dial up (just her luck). The Vodafone stick plan is 1 GB at $50 a month and had been going well until the new laptop. It has a limit but Vodafone had let her bill get up to $300 and when I tackled them about it they said there was a let out clause in the fine print!!!! As you say it must be something to do with new updates.

1. I shall get her do reinstall the anti-virus stuff as lance4k suggests.

I shall post a copy of her Vodafone usuage data thing.

Nomad
05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Re: Otago univesity. When I was there, students already pay their computer fees for campus. If you register the network card - see the computer guys there for a $10 or such. Then you can take the laptop to the library or the union etc.. and plug it in and get awesome speed internet for free.

Some years ago, I could get 500MB done in 25min :p
Some software were restricted by ports though like chatting since it was not school work related.

Update: don't bother with Woosh, I tried some addresses out and they appear not be supported by Woosh. Well it is stupid they don't support me when I am 10km north of Wellington CBD.

AvonBill
05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Install a decent software firewall.
I suggest Comodo (http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/).
The traffic in and out of the laptop can then be monitored in fine detail.

SolMiester
05-08-2009, 11:05 PM
She hasnt installed skype has she?....

linw
06-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I fully endorse Wainui's comments having just installed a recently bought copy of Vista. The number and size of OS updates was incredible. Not to mention all the proprietary stuff that comes with name brand computers.

Guess there is a moral here for people putting new machines on an expensive data connection.

wratterus
06-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I fully endorse Wainui's comments having just installed a recently bought copy of Vista. The number and size of OS updates was incredible. Not to mention all the proprietary stuff that comes with name brand computers.

Guess there is a moral here for people putting new machines on an expensive data connection.

x3 on this. Get somewhere where internet is cheap and fast, make sure Vista SP1/SP2 are installed, do all the updates, get some good AV software and possibly a firewall, update them both, and post a HijackThis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis) log here. :thumbs:

You could chew through 400MB to 500MB quite easily if there was a new Vista machine with no updates on.

pctek
06-08-2009, 09:09 AM
. Had been using a Broadband stick thing from Vodafone, but on the new laptop she has run up astronomical bills.
We have turned off Windows Auto updates and she has uninstalled her Anti-Virus programme Trend Micro.

Because they charge $512 for every 1GB you go over after the first one. IT sucks.
I seriously recommend she ditch it and go with some other method of broadband.

Then get a decent antivirus. NOD32 make the best.

In addition to the antivirus she needs antispyware.
Spybot, and Malware Bytes will do nicely.

This I would say is the main problem.

She needs to UPDATE them first, then scan the PC with them at least once a week. More if she uses the net every day.

If she keeps this sucky broadband, she needs to log on to her account and set up an email or a text alert when she nears her data limit for the month.

If she has some music downloading program installed, she needs to disable any upload part of it.

In fact it would be a good idea to get a 3rd party firewall as well - Comodo (although its not user friendly), Online Armour, Outpost or Zone Alarm.

That way she can monitor what is trying to access the net from within her PC and block it while she takes care of it.

lance4k
06-08-2009, 02:06 PM
so when are you going to post a copy her of her usage data thing?

Thanks for everyones replies. If you could just bear with me and try to post in basic computer speak. I am in Thames and she is in Dunedin, however, her hall of residence building does not have dial up (just her luck). The Vodafone stick plan is 1 GB at $50 a month and had been going well until the new laptop. It has a limit but Vodafone had let her bill get up to $300 and when I tackled them about it they said there was a let out clause in the fine print!!!! As you say it must be something to do with new updates.

1. I shall get her do reinstall the anti-virus stuff as lance4k suggests.

I shall post a copy of her Vodafone usuage data thing.

Nomad
06-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Because they charge $512 for every 1GB you go over after the first one. IT sucks.
I seriously recommend she ditch it and go with some other method of broadband.

If she is in a halls of residence, while she may have a phone socket that she can pay for monthly, she may not have entire ownership of it, some halls of residences in Dunedin works via a shared agreement that means there might be 30 students who have paid for their own phones but at any one time only 15 people can make phone calls. Althou there are some halls of residences that does have full ownership of it, ie. you could in my days have dialup Zfree all day if you liked and have your mobile phone for voice calls. Not all rooms will have a phone socket.

I checked various Dunedin streets even the main CBD street, there is no Woosh wireless.

So from that I am assuming Voda or Telecom cellular is maybe the only way. Unless she can get full ownership of her phoneline and if that can take ADSL. But I doubt it cos if that was the case every person would require line filters. The halls of residence wouldn't want to go down that road.

Erayd
06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
If she is in a halls of residence, while she may have a phone socket that she can pay for monthly, she may not have entire ownership of it, some halls of residences in Dunedin works via a shared agreement that means there might be 30 students who have paid for their own phones but at any one time only 15 people can make phone calls. Althou there are some halls of residences that does have full ownership of it, ie. you could in my days have dialup Zfree all day if you liked and have your mobile phone for voice calls. Not all rooms will have a phone socket.
Correct, but almost all universities have either wired or wireless network access available in all their accommodation areas, and (mostly) unrestricted internet access is available for a minimal fee, often free. As a result, you don't need a phoneline or mobile datacard in order to get a net connection.

Nomad
06-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Maybe but wireless wasn't available when I was there, wired depends only to certain rooms and depends on which halls of residence. I had it but that was at the senior flats. We paid $5-10 a month for the jackpoint and running cost were free as paid via the course fees already. But it blocked certain ports like MSN..... Some of the newer built halls of residences may have it thou.

The further away ones the logistics were just not suitable. I may check the otago uni website....

Nomad
06-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Upon investigation there is wireless today at Otago Uni. But I think it may not be sufficient.

http://www.its.otago.ac.nz/students/personalcomputing/?a=2767

It appears that if you are at the closest hall of residence you are still maybe 20m away. The one at the Commerce Building. If you are at other halls, you are too far away.
My guess would be that the hotspost is at the foyer. On the middle between concrete and on basement floor.

Maybe the studetnt have access to network jack in the room?

Muffin11
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice. She is in Carrington and even though in the book it says they all have wireless her building cannot get it. Yet her friend in another building wasn't supposed to be able to but can. Anyway she has downloaded her updates in the student computer room. We now have to wait until 21st Aug for her bytes to start again so will se what happens on that day. Even though bill has been paid she cannot start up until then according to Vodafone and I think this may have been some of the problem. Once you get up to your limit you are charged 50cents a thing and neither of us realised this, even though you have paid up the account in full. Unfortunately she signed up for 24 months (we were naive, both of us and this has been a very expensive learning excercise.

Muffin11
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I forgot to say will keep you informed once the 21st rolls around.

feersumendjinn
10-08-2009, 12:02 AM
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/plans/ending-your-contract/broadband-plans.jsp
May be cheaper in the long run to end it now :waughh:

lance4k
10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Muffin11, You said you are charged 50cents per MB once you reach your Limit. THAT IS WRONG.
Once you reach your limit that FIRST time you pay $10 and your limit is RESET and you can use all your data AGAIN. Once you reach your limit the SECOND time then you have to pay 50cents per MB.
Read it here:

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/plansMobileInternet.jsp?plantype=data&billingMetho d=onAccount&menuKey=mnit600004

Click on "SHOW DETAILS" then it says:

"We'll charge you a flat $10 and let you take it to the limit again. If you go beyond this second limit, you'll be charged at $0.50 per MB. "

Ring Vodafone and see if she can pay $10 to have her limit DOUBLED.

DeSade
10-08-2009, 03:13 PM
But is that monthly or just the once.
Month 1 I break the limit pay $10 and it gets doubled
Month 2 I break the limit pay $10 and it gets doubled
Rinse and repeat

I think its more likely that
Month 1 I break the limit and pay $10
Month 2 I break the limit and pay 0.50 per Mb

Nomad
10-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I guess if Woosh is not available in Dunedin. There is no ADSL available at her room. There is no wireless available to her as she has tried. If she wants internet other than going to the campus every time, then I guess mobile cellular internet is the only way......

lance4k
11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
instead of guessing, go to the vodafone site and look. i posted the link :)

But is that monthly or just the once.
Month 1 I break the limit pay $10 and it gets doubled
Month 2 I break the limit pay $10 and it gets doubled
Rinse and repeat

I think its more likely that
Month 1 I break the limit and pay $10
Month 2 I break the limit and pay 0.50 per Mb

DeSade
11-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I did "look"
That write up is hardly clear.

Erayd
11-08-2009, 03:26 PM
The 'rinse and repeat' option is the correct one.

Muffin11
21-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi again, Well I have absolutely had it with Vodafone and am going to pay to get out of it. It is more trouble than it is worth. Any suggestions as to a good broadband for her laptop. It will need to be mobile as said before as she has no phone connection in her room. Will really only need it until 1st November as she will be home from then until March next year when she will be going flatting.

zqwerty
21-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Yay for the Free Market and competition, lower prices and better service for all.

Nomad
21-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I am not sure if anything is available. No phone = no ADSL. I don't think they have Woosh.co.nz you can check there. Woosh is more affordable wireless. Then you only have Vodafone cellular or Telecom cellular.

My feeling is that cellular might be the only way.

PS. I checked Carrington's address at woosh - nope.

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Why not suggest she pays for the usage then? Bet my moneys worth she "knows somebody" at Uni who can help her lock down her PC and make it more secure, not to mention who will advise her not to do P2P File-sharing or watch YouTube over it ... ;)