PDA

View Full Version : Installation Help For Windows 7 Release Candidate

vims213
05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi there,

I'm upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 RC and I have a few queries about it.

1) Is the 4.7GB DVD enough to fit the Windows 7 ISO?

2) If upgrading to Windows 7, will I lose all my word documents,
music from iTunes, Programs, Video Clips etc? (This is upgrading, not wiping data)

3) I have an inbuilt back up system on my HP Laptop (HP Pavillion dv5-1209ax). If I upgrade to Windows 7, will I lose my back up (If I want to go back to Vista) HP didn't provide me any back up CD's.

4) Anyone that has Windows 7, could you give me some feedback about Windows 7 RC? Is it worth downloading? I don't like Vista!! :-)

I know Windows 7 comes out soon, but I want to give it a go anyway.

P.S. I asked Yahoo Answers but surprisingly, one person thought Windows 7 didn't exist and the other answers were basically crap.

Blam
05-08-2009, 07:46 PM
1) YTes

2) No. Some data may not be imported correctly, and if that is so then you can get it manually from a $upgrade folder in C drive.

3) If its on a recovery partition, no.

4) Yes. Its faster, more stable, and even sexier eye candy. Its actually intuitive to use too...

Just keep in mind that Windows 7 RC will stop working next year around March.

Blam

Chilling_Silence
05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Agree with what blam6 said, its *well* worth trying! :)
I wasn't a Microsoft fan boy, but after this, they're slowly converting me ;)

Blam
05-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Agree with what blam6 said, its *well* worth trying! :)
I wasn't a Microsoft fan boy, but after this, they're slowly converting me ;)

Windows 7 is finally an OS that'll satisfy the power users and the "simpler" users.

Lets hope it stays that way..

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
regarding Question #2 - ALWAYS pays to back up any data, music, what ever you dont want to lose.

Sometimes it doesn't always go as planned and its a pain if something goes wrong and you dont have backups - for the amount of time it takes to "take precautions" - it sure saves a lot of heartache.

light hearted side -----

Blimey am I reading that right chill :eek:
I wasn't a Microsoft fan boy, but after this, they're slowly converting me ( Faints) Hang on get up --re read that :eek: ( faints again) :lol:

vims213
06-08-2009, 04:28 PM
regarding Question #2 - ALWAYS pays to back up any data, music, what ever you dont want to lose.

Sometimes it doesn't always go as planned and its a pain if something goes wrong and you dont have backups - for the amount of time it takes to "take precautions" - it sure saves a lot of heartache.

light hearted side -----

Blimey am I reading that right chill :eek: ( Faints) Hang on get up --re read that :eek: ( faints again) :lol:
I tried the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it told me that the only programs that will get affected was my anti-virus (ESET) and Diskeeper 2009 Professional Edition. Does iTunes, any PC Games etc. get affected.

Also, if I have a separate recovery hdd partition, can I use that to recover back to Vista if I have any issues? Blam 6 told me it would not work, but I want to confirm from more people. It would be great not to buy recovery disks.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Most pcs with recovery partitions will let you create cd's or dvds to restore the system. Create the cd's / dvds instead. Then you wont have to buy them

SolMiester
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
If any of your music is ripped wma copy protected files, you may no longer be able to use them.....even if you re-install Vista, as an activation is a new PC!

vims213
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
If any of your music is ripped wma copy protected files, you may no longer be able to use them.....even if you re-install Vista, as an activation is a new PC!
Luckily all my music is .mp3 but thanks for the advice.

Blam
06-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Big problem here is your cannot upgrade from RC to RTM....so I suggest you make an image of Vista, then when you decide to switch to RTM restore from this Vista image then upgrade to W7 RTM...

wainuitech
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Doing an Upgrade of ANY OS is always a risk - there are so many things that can and do go wrong sometimes. If you have any damage on the Vista Install doing an upgrade to W7 wont fix it - it may in fact end up with no bootable system.

Bit like building a house on shaky foundations - doesn't matter how good the house is, if the foundations are bad so will be the end result.

Even Microsoft will tell you , its better to do a clean install.

I was reading a Tech article from MS ( I think it was) there was an article that mentioned when they were doing some testing, a fresh install of W7 RC took around 25-30 minutes to install.( which is true) The upgrade from Vista took 4 1/2 hours.

Big problem here is your cannot upgrade from RC to RTM Thats correct - but you would be better off doing a fresh install of W7 than trying to upgrade Vista.

Edited:
Also, if I have a separate recovery hdd partition, can I use that to recover back to Vista if I have any issues? What "should" happen is when W7 is installed it installs where the current Vista is ( as long as you use the custom install and select the current OS partition)- leaving the recovery partition alone. So if you wanted to put Vista back, you set the recovery going, it wipes out W7 and reinstalls vista back to when you first brought the PC. All data / Programs etc are totally gone.

In the past I have had customers compaqs that have had very bad file damage - loaded a partition manager Via CD , wiped out the OS partition, leaving the recovery.

Reboot - Start tapping F10 - run the restore, it put back the partition and loaded the OS from Fresh.

vims213
07-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the advice "wainuitech"

I installed it last night and you were right about the time to upgrade Vista. It took me around 3 and a 1/2 hours to upgrade (and I was up to 12:30am this morning waiting for it to finish) :groan:
The transfer of files from Vista to Windows 7 took a while but in the end, it was worth it. The installation seemed very easy compared to Vista and XP as my laptop did everything for me.

I haven't used much on Windows 7 after it installed but I have to say Microsoft did an amazing fixing up Vista. The boot up and shut down is fast, performance is AMAZING and the new taskbar is much better. I'm glad to say that I didn't lose any documents, music, games etc. after I upgraded and my programs are running fine. The desktop looks great, and I can see why people say Windows 7 is like XP but better.

I have made recovery disk just in case which took me a while to do. And I've still got that recovery partition.

Anyone thinking of testing out the release candidate of Windows 7 should go for it. Just remember to backup, create recovery disks. If upgrading, it will take a while to install but as "wainuitech" said, it will only take around 30 mins to do a clean install of Windows 7.

Thank you to "wainuitech", "blam6", "SolMiester", "Speedy Gonzales", and "Chilling_Silence" for your advice and review of Windows 7. :thanks

And lastly thank you to Microsoft for a great operating system. :D

SolMiester
07-08-2009, 11:27 AM
deleted.....

SolMiester
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Downloading RTM at the moment @ 407 KB\Sec......