PDA

View Full Version : How to format HDD?

whellington
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
How to format sata hard drive without plugging it into the pc?

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
How do you think youre going to format it then?? Its either connect it to a SATA connection in the case, or external case, with e-sata , or a bracket on the back of the case, connected to a SATA connection

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
If this is in relation to the PC I just finished building for you, if you remember I advised to plug in the SATA cable and boot from a CD ( it has Ubuntu on it currently and reload Ubuntu if you wanted to use that s dual boot).

You can download Easeus Manager (http://www.partition-tool.com/) make a bootable CD.

Turn off the PC, take the side off the case, plug in the 320GB drive, boot from the CD ( I made the first boot device the optical drive) - then select the 320GB drive, blow away the partition, and then format it.

Just in case any ones interested I think this is the PC I was asked to build in the weekend , it needed to be stripped and started again. The OS blue screens right away on the new hardware and required a repair install.

Thats all that was budgeted for - not fixing the rest of the OS - it really needs a complete reinstall.

Edited: with the second drive attached it crashes the PC.

Blam
05-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Format a drive without plugging it into a PC any way?

:illogical

whellington
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I'll try plugging it in after the PC has started up properly and see what happens

edit: i suspect the HP recovery console has some conflicts with the other HDD, gonna try formatting the recovery partition to a new drive.

whellington
05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Can i install windows XP, on my main drive when i backed up everything in my Partition 1 drive - Will my files in the drive be erased?

Blam
05-08-2009, 09:19 PM
As long as you install on the other partition, then yes, it should be fine

Blam

whellington
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Managed to fix it, removing the boot priority from the corrupted HDD and formatting the Hp recovery console seemed to do the trick! :thumbs:
Now to fix this SP3 update issue.. :s not very keen to reinstall XP till win7 comes out :D

Thanks wauni,

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Just a bit of Layout information so you know what the PC is about.

The original hard Drive is out of a HP Computer it has XP Media Center installed, it also has the original HP recovery partition.

The motherboard was changed to an Asus Board ,along with case / PSU and possible Additional RAM.

The Whole thing was stripped as it was in a " bit of a mess" - easier to strip it and start again.

The hard drives were removed, and plugged into a workshop PC to see which one had the OS - the smaller of the two drives had XP Media Center - the larger 320GB drive looks like parts of Ubuntu, along with several folders containing data.

After building the PC - the original drive was booted - instantly blue screening due to incompatibility of hardware.

A repair install from my own XP Media Center DVD was installed using the COA on the case.
The OS is damaged - it wont install any windows updates - it really needs to be reinstalled, as the PC should be a LOT faster than it is - its a nice unit - pitty the OS is in a bit of a mess.

The second drive was attached, while booting it starts to get into an endless reboot - the OS on that is also corrupted.

The original drive with the OS has the HP recovery Partition - this of course WONT work if run as its NOT designed for that hardware.

The system was returned leaving the larger drive disconnected. I suggested to fix the second drive,connect it, boot the PC from the Ubuntu CD and reinstall Ubuntu on the second drive.

It was also suggested that all data be saved from the main drive, and windows reinstalled either W7 or I could do it with my XP media Center DVD, and a price was given.

The Budget available, fell way short of doing any other work - I already did double the hours the budget allowed for, just to get it running. Originally I was only asked to build it.

Edited: OK owllol - simply put there is some mayor corruption in the OS, even a repair install didn't fix it. SP3 gets part way through the stops due to the corruption. W7 will run real nice on that Setup :thumbs:

Blam
05-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Oooh....that answered a lotta questions...:D

whellington
06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Uhh i installed vista premium, pc starts up very fast.. but it wont connect to the internet.
Do i need to install a network driver? I lost the xtra installation cd that came with my modem. Modem is Thomson Speedtouch 536v6

Blam
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
That depends.

Open up device manaer(run>devmgmt.msc), do a Alt+Printscreen.

Then paste in paint, save then upload here (http://imagef1.net.nz/?page=basic) and give us the link

Blam

whellington
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok, in vista or xp?

wainuitech
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
If you are after the motherboard drivers they are on the CD that is in the Motherboard box - you had the CD stored in an old DVD case that looks like some music tracks.

Put the CD in the drive (blue CD), Select the custom install UNTICK Norton and let the rest of the drivers install --takes around 5-10 minutes with 2 ( from memory) reboots - it does it by its self.

whellington
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
works now, repling on vista thanks again