PDA

View Full Version : cheapest mobile mechanics in Auckland

lance4k
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
so who is the cheapest mobile mechanic service in the Auckland area? Not breakdown service, but mechanics that come and tune your car, change the oil etc? I have found a few that charge between $50-80 just for a callout fee.

Nomad
05-08-2009, 07:05 PM
why do you need a call out fee, as far as I know they don't normally do it but upon request they can .. but like other professions if you know them well, and you have used them for sometime for your other vehicles the rates of jobs will be competitive and do a good job and they may charge a good call out fee. I would guess that if you can drive it out from being courteous clients should take the vehicles to them.

For changing oil, our mechanic cost $35 not including the oil and not supplying the engine filter, we brought our own cos we just had a new used vehicle and you had to undo a tray to get to the engine oil valve nut. But we have been with them for 10+ years. With oil, decent quality mineral oil which I think is great, I don't think day to day commuting needs expensive $100 an application synthetic. For mineral oil I think that would cost extra $50 if they supplied it. Probably only cost $30 if you go to Repco.

I would think if you don't know them or not establish a business with them before they may be expensive. For example AA breakdown service to jump a car cost $100 an occasion.

hueybot3000
05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
where are you? i do it if your willin to pay. Changing oil has got to be the easiest part of owning a car

Nomad
05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
where are you? i do it if your willin to pay. Changing oil has got to be the easiest part of owning a car

Nah that would be filling the petrol :thumbs:

Many people wouldn't know what engine warning signs to look out for in the dash or ever opened up the hood once nor changed a tyre. I admit that I have practiced doing it but in 14yrs of driving never had to or anything incl a jump start.

Nomad
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I even know people who are not confident at the pumps.

Or at the other end those who have put a saucepan onto fire (as I witnessed) or those who have never baked a chicken or fried an egg.

prefect
05-08-2009, 09:56 PM
If you havent the ability to change your oil and filter you shouldnt be driving a car.

Billy T
05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
If you havent the ability to change your oil and filter you shouldnt be driving a car.

What a load of codswallop! Would you care to justify that statement? Starting by explaining exactly why an elderly woman or man (for example, others come to mind) is not competent to drive a motor vehicle simply because they can't change their own oil or filter.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

prefect
05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Exempt psychical defects like being wheel chair bound, old age no excuse.
If you are so mentally incapacitated you cant do maintenance on your car you would probably be a menace on the roads.
Some people choose not do this work but they are still capable of doing it.
A lot of women can do and do do car servicing nowadays.
One lady I showed how to service her car tells me she cant wait till the mileage is due to service because she likes doing it.

R2x1
05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Some extremely gifted mechanics serve largely as recruiters for panel beaters when they get behind the wheel. Different skill set.

Would you suggest that an inability to deliver a baby precludes fatherhood? ;)

Billy T
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Exempt psychical defects like being wheel chair bound, old age no excuse. If you are so mentally incapacitated you cant do maintenance on your car you would probably be a menace on the roads.

Well, I don't know what planet you are from Prefect, possible Bigotus Extremus from the Mortus Brainus galaxy, but it is quite clear that you could never become a pilot because you are too mentally incapacitated to service Rolls Royce turbo jets; you are not entitled to drive on our roads because you don't mend them, and may your God help you if you ever aspire to become a surgeon because performing the necessary brain transplant would be beyond even your extraordinary capabilities.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

somebody
06-08-2009, 12:28 AM

It surprises me how many people don't know how to change a tyre. In a country like NZ, if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere - particularly somewhere without cellphone coverage - you can get stuck unless you know how to swap it out for the spare.

lance4k: Is there any reason why you can't take your car into a mechanic, instead of having them come out to you?

Phil B
06-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Taking your car to a workshop will almost always result in a better job. They can lift the car up & walk under it, this gives much better access to components & gives much greater visibility, which in turn leads to a better job than you'd get from someone grovelling around on their backs, with the undercar about 6 inches from their face.
Prefect's theory would be a great solution to solving Aucklands traffic problems. You'd lose 50% of the congestion instantly

prefect
06-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Taking your car to a workshop will almost always result in a better job. They can lift the car up & walk under it, this gives much better access to components & gives much greater visibility, which in turn leads to a better job than you'd get from someone grovelling around on their backs, with the undercar about 6 inches from their face.
Prefect's theory would be a great solution to solving Aucklands traffic problems. You'd lose 50% of the congestion instantly

lol Phil, but the money you save by doing it yourself you could spend on several boxes of woodies.

Phil B
06-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm not interested in if you want to do your own maintenance. Go for it. I'm talking about the quality of the work you should expect. Proper workshop facilities = job done properly. Or at least there's no excuse not to. Grovelling in GSOI speaks for itself. Would you rather have an operation in hospital with proper facilities or go to a back street abortionist

prefect
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Well, I don't know what planet you are from Prefect, possible Bigotus Extremus from the Mortus Brainus galaxy, but it is quite clear that you could never become a pilot because you are too mentally incapacitated to service Rolls Royce turbo jets; you are not entitled to drive on our roads because you don't mend them, and may your God help you if you ever aspire to become a surgeon because performing the necessary brain transplant would be beyond even your extraordinary capabilities.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

I feel the need to respond to your insults

Too late on the pilot thing I have current PPL Aeroplane.
Wouldn't want to touch a RR turbo with a bargepole being pommy designed it would be a nightmare to work on like a AEC bus and you would need a degree in English from Cambridge University to make sense of the manual.
Surgeon out of the question, my DTs and a scalpel would make any operation a bit of lottery as to its success.

Any normal person can service their own car, armed with a bit of knowledge save a lot of money.
You can do a better job than the garage because you can take your time and ensure everything is kept clean.
If you dont have the mental ability to follow instructions to service your car, licence should be pulled.

Billy T
06-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I feel the need to respond to your insults.

Lol :lol: Those were not insults Prefect, that was taking the plss. You really do need a sense of humour transplant, you are altogether too intense.

Nobody could take seriously your concept of linking ability to service your own vehicle as a criterion for measuring competence as a driver. You can't doubt the skill of racing drivers, but they don't service their own vehicles either. You are on a loser with that argument, if you don't think so, run a poll and see.

Hardly anybody services their own vehicles today, I used to when I was an impoverished apprentice, and I'm happy to do minor repairs today, but anything else and it goes in to the Dealer's service department. I don't fix my ABS brakes but I still know where the brake pedal is and how to use it. Likewise for my wife, who is an excellent and very safe driver, though a little too fast for my liking, however she couldn't change a wiper blade to save her life.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :clap

Nomad
07-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Something similar to my dad. He has this thought that if you have a major accident in NZ highways, there is no need to delay the road. Just push them to the side of road and immediately open up the roads and that means time, economy and money. :clap

Thomas01
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I feel the need to respond to your insults

Any normal person can service their own car, armed with a bit of knowledge save a lot of money.
You can do a better job than the garage because you can take your time and ensure everything is kept clean.
If you dont have the mental ability to follow instructions to service your car, licence should be pulled.

Partially right.
I always did most of my own work for the very reasons you quote, but at 76 with loads of heart problems accept the fact that I am physically no longer capable. I also restrict my driving so that I am still one of the safest drivers around.
Its over 10 years since I found myself in really quiet country but I now carry my cell phone (used absolutely for nothing else but emergencies - even I don't know its number), for contacting the AA so that even a puncture - now too dangerous for me to tackle can be fixed.
I used to be quite proud of the fact that I could put a motorcycle tyre on with no tools apart from a big pair of boots - happy days.

R2x1
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm not interested in if you want to do your own maintenance. Go for it. I'm talking about the quality of the work you should expect. Proper workshop facilities = job done properly. Or at least there's no excuse not to. Grovelling in GSOI speaks for itself. Would you rather have an operation in hospital with proper facilities or go to a back street abortionist
Double Tui for that man.
Possibly your billboard entry should have the MTA logo too. :spam ;)

sam m
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
lol Phil, but the money you save by doing it yourself you could spend on several boxes of woodies.

What are woodies? Are you buying a box of hard ons!

hueybot3000
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
woodstock, have a night on it sometime. life will improve for you for it.

I agree with prefect on this one. Simple things likin changing oil etc can be done easily. its like 15mins out of 6months and itl save u quite a few bucks. And every driver should be able to change a wheel, except old people, they've earned their laziness

Nomad
07-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Out of interest, how you define an easy job. Those of you who does oil changes - you use trolley jacks?

Cos some cars you can just use a incline angle and access it lying the ground, other cars the bolt might be more centre of the car and you may need to undo a cover to access.

Phil B
07-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Double Tui for that man.
Possibly your billboard entry should have the MTA logo too. :spam ;)

You get nothing from the MTA or any other so called organisation. All they do is cost you money

Nomad
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
In some places, you could be better off without a car, cos at petrol at 25c NZD a litre (!). You could do 15km of travel, can cost $7NZD. I enjoyed hailing a cab when I was there, unlike when you have to think about the financial consequence before hand. Bus fares at 50c go anywhere in the city zone.

prefect
07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
woodstock, have a night on it sometime. life will improve for you for it.

I agree with prefect on this one. Simple things likin changing oil etc can be done easily. its like 15mins out of 6months and itl save u quite a few bucks. And every driver should be able to change a wheel, except old people, they've earned their laziness

The bastards are thinking of putting a big tax on ready mixed drinks.
I wonder if the anti alcohol nannies think people are too dumb to just buy a bottle of spirits and some mixers like we did a few years ago.

Metla
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Its damn ridicules that every strategy they think of consists of one simple idea, tax.

Seems we are just a seething mass of targets to be hit in the pocket from every direction without pause.

hueybot3000
08-08-2009, 01:00 AM
they gotta pay for their holidays somehow. I dont think they could cope with paying their own way like everyone else.

btw metla hows the employment situation? or is that shed gettin coat after coat?