PDA

View Full Version : FREE 250GB IDE SEAGATE

pctek
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I can't be bothered sending it back to Seagate for RMA - it has Paging Errors.
It's under warranty and would cost $21 to send back to them.

So if you want to, one free drive to a good home.

Serial Number 5ND0XTHQ
Seagate Part Number 9BD033-304
In Warranty Expiration 11-Jul-2010

In fact it can go to a bad home.....

$4.50 postage to you and it's yours.

somebody
05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Is the recipient allowed to play the "let's see what data we can recover off someone's old hard drive" game?

Laura
05-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, please.

It would be a vast improvement on my elderly 20GB drive, which was a vast improvement on my even older 10GB.

Any catch that my elderly machine couldn't cope with it..?

Edit: What are paging errors?
Or is that the catch I couldn't cope with?

Erayd
05-08-2009, 05:41 PM
The catch is that you have to send it back to seagate to get a working drive - the one pctek is offering is busted.

--Wolf--
05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Bugger, was expecting to see some spam in here :(

R.M.
05-08-2009, 05:50 PM
The catch is that you have to send it back to seagate to get a working drive - the one pctek is offering is busted.

Yes, eleven days and still counting...

That is, eleven days since I sent my 500Gb HDD back to Seagate :(
I'm told 'It normally takes 8-10 days for replacement. ' So perhaps tomorrow is the day!

Laura
05-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks, Erayd - I sortof understood that, but was confused by the amounts quoted ($21 & 4.50) and on further thought it's clicked that -

1) $4,50 to get it to me
2) $21 from me to Seagate, which presumably is overseas with no NZ repair base..?

Have I got that right?

Erayd
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Yep :D.

pctek
05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
1) $4,50 to get it to me
2) $21 from me to Seagate,

Have I got that right?

Yes.

Sold to Laura for postage cost.

Its easy enough to RMA, definite fault, I've been messing about with it for a week or so.
Not from my usual Seagate supplier, hence the need to RMA to Seagate direct in Singapore.

NZPost charged me $21 last time I sent one there.

Doesn't take too long, they do keep you informed, and if you enter your email and order number (which you get after submitting the RMA) you can see its status on their site.

Although the last one I did, status was saying ready to send replacement and then the replacement arrived so they are a wee bit behind updating it.

For those who might think its odd - I just bought a new sata instead. IDE is now only available in a small range of sizes and I can't be bothered, it was a spare drive used for backups.

Blam
05-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Hiya laura-if you need any help when the time comes to install the HD, be sure to ask here:)

Laura
05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Woop-de-doo!

I'm finding it hard to imagine what it'll be like having All That Disk Space...
Currently my 2 old ones combined have less than 30GB useable.
Mind you, there's still space, but only because I.ve been resisting downloading programs just to try. And as you can guess. I'm not into games - or movie downloads etc.

Now I can see I'm going to need LOTS of help from PF1 when it's finally all-systems-go.
Partitioning & all that stuff...
And I'll have to think again about getting broadband...

The mind is beginning to boggle already.
A large learning curve looms, methinks.
But it'll be fun.

And hey. blam6 - I doubt I'll be brave enough to start opening the case & installing it myself. That's a job for an expert, I think. I'll play with it after that.

Blam
05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
You shouldn't really need to partition it. Unless you want to move your System partition to this 250gb drive

Greg
05-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Laura... install it. As long as you take precautions such as anti-static you'll be be fine - even if you stuff up it's worth the experience.

PaulD
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Any catch that my elderly machine couldn't cope with it..?

How elderly? Do you have any details? If it's old enough it may not see anything bigger than 32G.

Strommer
06-08-2009, 05:27 AM
I can't be bothered sending it back to Seagate for RMA - it has Paging Errors.

I ordered a Seagate hd last December and had to send it back as it was dead on delivery (it was replaced by the AKL online order shop). It seems Seagate quality has deteriorated - most of us know about this (http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3188).

Maybe Seagate hd's used to be manufactured in Japan but now it is Thailand or China?

pctek
06-08-2009, 08:02 AM
It seems Seagate quality has deteriorated -

I've had a few faults, but Maxtor, Samsung, Hitachi and Fujitsu continue to be far far worse.

WD and Seagate are the 2 I will continue to use.

Laura - what you could do is partition it into 2, and image your existing drives over to it.

Or if the one's you have are fine, image the data disk over to this instead and keep the old O/S drive as well.

pctek
06-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I need your address Laura.......

Nomad
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
I bought 3x 500MB Seagates (SATA II), one failed after 3 months, and it sounds like another is going to fail now.

You get that whistling sound but the fans are not blocked, a restart sometimes makes it go away. You also get clinging on metal sound as the HDD speeds up.

Cicero
06-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I need your address Laura.......

I think Laura will need expert help to install!

wratterus
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I bought 3x 500MB Seagates (SATA II), one failed after 3 months, and it sounds like another is going to fail now.

You get that whistling sound but the fans are not blocked, a restart sometimes makes it go away. You also get clinging on metal sound as the HDD speeds up.
Here's (http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/hteragareth/seagate.png) the original affected models list, check your model against that, and then check the firmware. They've fixed the firmware issues they were having as far as I'm aware. I had a drive or two with the dodgy SD15 firmware, updated to CC1H, no hassles and no data lost.

They are still shipping drives with the CC1H firmware, I got one just the other day, so here's hoping that's a good version...

MAC_H8ER
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
ive got a pair os Segate 500GB .11's that people are running for the hills about due to the dodgy firmware - mine have ran perfectly since day one and when segate released the firmware update that went on without trouble

they will do the trick very nicely untill i can afford a pair of SSD's or that fancy Acard RamDrive :drool

Nomad
06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Here's (http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/hteragareth/seagate.png) the original affected models list, check your model against that, and then check the firmware. They've fixed the firmware issues they were having as far as I'm aware. I had a drive or two with the dodgy SD15 firmware, updated to CC1H, no hassles and no data lost.

They are still shipping drives with the CC1H firmware, I got one just the other day, so here's hoping that's a good version...

Thanks, it is listed. I have 2x of those. The replacement HDD, not sure, haven't taken out of package yet.

Laura
07-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Time for an update -

(Keeping you informed because of all the questions I'll be asking later - and help that'll be needed once I get the parcel from Singapore...)

Pctek & I have been communicating to the extent that -
1) She has dispatched the wonky drive northwards to me.
2) I have emailed the RMA details to Seagate & had a confirmation in return.
So it's waiting time now...
There'll be a progress report when the new version arrives.
Southern members may be able to hear my cries for help from their backyards.

And to answer PaulD's question about whether my elderly machine can cope - luckily pctek didn't say it couldn't.
I was nervous about telling her my motherboard details - remembering comments here about the brand in the past.
I don't know if she turned white, but can confirm that the name ECS brought the expected reaction by email.
Ah well, at least you guys have taught me that not all companies who make computer parts are equal...

But I didn't know that when I got it.
And it's served me well so far.